Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Feb. 16, 2007: Nods to the Past

Innoventions has several musical ties to the past Carousel of Progress.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I also noticed that if you stand at the que line at Autopia, you'll hear the music from the Peoplemover ride. The music is very low but love hearing the song. Anybody else ever noticed this?

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang61777 View Post
    I also noticed that if you stand at the que line at Autopia, you'll hear the music from the Peoplemover ride. The music is very low but love hearing the song. Anybody else ever noticed this?
    Yeah! They will play the Peoplemover song and also the Monorail Song!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlaster View Post
    As far as reuse the droids in the queue of the Star Tours attraction are skinless audio animatronics from America Sings that have been slightly modified to resemble droids.
    They are Geese from America Sings. They had their skin taken off and their heads were replaced. But look! They have webbed feet!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• MiceAge Columnist

The entire premise of the article is exactly what my second book is all about (101 Things/DL).
    Last edited by KevinYee; 02-20-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Kevin, while I own your books, and look forward to any more you might write, I have a real problem with you trying to make a sale here in a public discussion. It opens a can of worms that I don't think should be opened.

• MiceAge Columnist

Yeah, point taken. I'll edit the original post to remove the hyperlink, at least.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Inhospitable about happy

You can file this one under "Don't throw it away!" as one of the most obscure bits of Disney trivia that you can imagine. I can't vouch for it personally, but according to Michelle Hill, David Mumford told her that the frame of the original Hatbox Ghost was reused for Sam the Eagle in America Sings. Here's the post she put up on the Doombuggies.com message board December 10, 2003:
    My uncle was a CM for the HM opening - it was a huge honor to be on that team, it was like monorails and trains a decade or so ago - you had to be the cream of the crop. As he had no children (yet) he took me and my sister. I think it had been open two days or so. I did see the Hatbox Ghost. I had nightmares about him for six years. Later, no one believed that I'd seen him, then I got hold of the storyteller album and showed it. "It was never there," people kept saying. "You imagined it." The hell I did! The E-Ticket came out with their first Haunted Mansion issue, and left him out. I wrote to the sweet and wonderful Leon and Jack and asked about it. They said they'd never heard of it. Enter my savior, Tony Baxter. He wrote, said "Michelle Hill was right." and gave them a photo of Hatbox. He DID exist outside of my nightmares! Later, David Mumford told me that because his effect had never worked properly and the hand couldn't hold up the effect (Marc Davis later confirmed this) he was dismantled - and became, David told me - Sam the Eagle. Brrrrrr! Just when I thought Burl Ives couldn't get any scarier! "I told ye I'd shoot!" (kidding, Burl Ives rocks) The creator of my childhood nightmare later became godfather to my daughter, and Hatbox was returned to his attic by Bob Baranick and his team. Don't believe me? Get a really good look at the shape of the shadow pianist. Top hat, wild hair....Bob made sure he came back home.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

HBG2, I have no inside knowledge, but this just doesn't seem right. Wasn't the hatbox ghost a pretty simple figure? Sam the Eagle was a very complex figure. Plus there were several Sams in the different scenes. Seems they'd identify which one he was as opposed to just saying he became Sam. Sorry, but I'm not convinced. Interesting idea, though.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    HBG2, I have no inside knowledge, but this just doesn't seem right. Wasn't the hatbox ghost a pretty simple figure? Sam the Eagle was a very complex figure. Plus there were several Sams in the different scenes. Seems they'd identify which one he was as opposed to just saying he became Sam. Sorry, but I'm not convinced. Interesting idea, though.
    If David Mumford claimed it was true, then it was true.

The man was the most amazing Human Rolodex of Disneyland and Imagineering history. Occasionally we could stump him, but rarely. He knew this stuff cold!

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Inhospitable about happy

Wasn't the hatbox ghost a pretty simple figure? Sam the Eagle was a very complex figure.
    I would assume that just the torso frame was used for one of the Sam AA's. It's plausible. It would have been only about five years old. And as BlueSkyFlyBy says, Mumford is an excellent authority for this kind of claim. I also assume that Michelle Hill is reliable on this point, since the claim that Mumford was a family friend (her daughter's godfather) could be so easily denied by Mumford's friends or family members if it were false.

So personally, I think she's telling the truth, and I think this fascinating little factoid is probably true.
    Last edited by HBG2; 02-24-2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: clarification

For "Don't throw it away".....

Issue 29, Page 31 of E-Ticket magazine mentions the Mine Train panther being moved to the location by the train tracks in Adeventureland......

It also says that the dinosaur skeleton, in Big Thunder, is the same skeleton that was in the desert portion of the Mine Train...... "with a few bones added". That info came from Tony Baxter.....who was the lead designer on Big Thunder.

Baxter also mentions that other pieces from the previous attraction were used in Big Thunder....but he doesn't specify what or where they are.

• Plunderin' these posts!

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Hatbox was returned to his attic by Bob Baranick and his team. Don't believe me? Get a really good look at the shape of the shadow pianist. Top hat, wild hair
    I always thought this dashing gentleman looked like Hatbox too, w/ a different hat:

What do you think?
    Last edited by vikinglad; 02-27-2007 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Found a better picture
    Vikings are like pirates... why don't we have a movie starring Johnny Depp!?

I also just remembered reading that the foundation for the House of the Future is now being used as a planter by Triton's Garden. This was done because it was too difficult to remove. Info from:
    http://www.dldhistory.com/attraction...ge=4&Ident=467

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Kevin, while I own your books, and look forward to any more you might write, I have a real problem with you trying to make a sale here in a public discussion. It opens a can of worms that I don't think should be opened.
    Kevin,
    I appreciated you reminding me of this book. I meant to get it months ago, but it fell of my radar. I don't see a problem with mentioning this in a related forum. It isn't like you are a complete stranger around here!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast