Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Feb. 16, 2007: Nods to the Past

Imagineers like to honor earlier attractions or landmarks with reminders placed in new attractions. That's the subject of the Yesterland article this week.

What "Nods to the Past" am I missing?

Please discuss is here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Feb. 16, 2007: Nods to the Past

I think BTMRR has references to "Mineral Hall" in restored the little town.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• I love this place!

Great article, Werner. In the Pooh Corner shop next to the Pooh ride exit, if you look in the window where the candy is made, you can see some artwork on the wall dipicting some of the Pooh characters with the Country Bears.

And here's a Yesterland Ride that paid tribute to other Yesterland Rides it replaced. In the Rocket Rods queue, you could see a People Mover car and a "Rocket Jet".

• It's all about Theme!

Up in a window outside Rancho De Zocalo, Gold Leters on the window say "Mineral Hall". In Buxx, there are little things from the Peoplemover track still visible from Circle Vision.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Isn't the rocket ship outside of Red Rocket's Pizza Port a deliberate nod to the Rocket to the Moon attraction that used to be there?

And, how about the little town above the queue for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad as a nod to the Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland? It's the same town I believe.

Also, the McDonald's french fry stand in a conestoga wagon is a deliberate nod to the Conestoga Wagon ride that used to be there. It even looks the same with Westward Ho painted on the canvas.
    Last edited by gardener14; 02-16-2007 at 10:12 AM.

• Banned User

I once heard that there was a tribute to circlevision in Buzz, It is a sun and moon from a wall, it's in the scene when buzz and zurg face-off I believe.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

If I'm not mistaken, the heads that are now visible in the Pooh ride are not the same ones that were on the wall of the theaters. They are a smaller version of the heads that used to hang on the wall of the Mile Long Bar that used to be in the Critter Country area.

Other than that, nice article. I love those hidden tributes that in no way take away from the attraction for the newbies, but really do add a layer of depth to those of us geeks that appreciate this kind of thing.

Nice article Werner.....

A couple more for Yesterland.....

In the queue for Star Tours, there are parts bins moving overhead. One of the bins holds a small blue omnimover vehicle that was one of the shrunken cars from Innerspace. As far as reuse, the displays that are used by the droids...in the Star Tours queue....are made from the frames of the displays that were along the queue of the previous attraction.

I don't know if it still holds true...but it did through the 90s.....the restroom behind the Starcade...it's easier to hear in there.... plays a soundtrack made for the 1967 Tommorrowland.... Including the themes from Innerspace and the Carousel Of Progress (Great Big Beautiful Tommorrow). That may include tracks from the 50s but I thought that I recognized them all as the '67 music.

Yes, I once stood in that bathroom to listen to the taped music......only at Disneyland.....
    Last edited by Geezer; 02-16-2007 at 12:29 PM.

• Banned User

I love these things! I always look for the heads in the Pooh ride. I'll have to look for the others mentioned. Thanks for sharing them everyone!

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Well, this really isn't a nod to a previous attraction, but the "Wells Expedition" inside the Matterhorn is at least a nod. It's a very sweet nod too.

Excellent idea for an article! Thanks!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Many of the America Sings characters moved to Splash Mountain. Does that count?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

First, thank you to everyone who has replied in this thread!

It looks like I'll need to add two more pages to Yesterland this year:
    • "More Nods to the Past," with items such as the Mineral Hall window in the Rancho del Zocalo Restaurante and the little Atomobile in Star Tours. (I didn't know about either of those.)
    • "Don't Throw It Away!" with the creative reuse of elements from previous attractions, such as the former America Sings geese in Star Tours and the other America Sings characters in Splash Mountain.

Do you have other ideas for a "Don't Throw It Away!" page?

The best known example (in addition to the America Sings cast) is the organ in the Haunted Mansion which was previously in the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea walk-through in Tomorrowland (and in the movie 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea before that).

Do they still have the ocelot as the Disneyland Railroad passes Adventureland? I heard that the ocelot was originally a cougar in the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland. What have you heard?
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I once heard that there was a tribute to circlevision in Buzz, It is a sun and moon from a wall, it's in the scene when buzz and zurg face-off I believe.
    Does anyone know more about this? Has anyone here seen it? Or has anyone here seen a picture of it?
    Werner Weiss

• ...TWO BITS!

Rocket Jet repainted & reused in Store Command's merchandise stand. Repainted and reused Peoplemover car in Store Command's cash register table.

Rufus bear snore in Splash Mountain before the 1st drop.

Attraction posters in Red Rockett's? The Moonliner ship outside that restaurant is also a reminder of Mission to Moon/Mars. I think it's 1/8th scale of the original?? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Buzz stage had a model of Home of Tomorrow (but I think you reported that already). I think it was also his home in the TV show.

Didn't know about the Sun & Moon in Buzz's climax.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Sadako recently posted a photo of the sun and moon in Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54221

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast