Yesterpricetag Deciphering

Hi there, I'm new here. My sister told me about this forum and said someone might be able to help me with a riddle. I recently added a Frankenstein mask and hands set to my collection that was purchased at Disneyland sometime in the late 60's or early 70's or so. I wanted to try and pinpoint the date a little better... at least maybe when it was priced, and wondered if anyone here has any familiarity with price tag codes from old Disneyland and if they have any date code component...

I think it's pretty legible, but in case something is unclear, it says:

Disneyland
    30178 B10
    0226-0365
    Price $18.50
    Plus Tax

Here's the item itself:

The previous (original) owner told me it was purchased in 1969, however the current belief in the mask collecting world is the hands were made somewhere between 1973 and 1976. If there's something in the price tag that reveals a date it was priced or something, that would be very helpful.

Any assistance would be most appreciated!

-Bobby

• Mousketeer

Re: Yesterpricetag Deciphering

I don't know about the tag, but his hands are backwards

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Wow, that's a really interesting question. I hope someone can help you. I only know that when I worked retail, the letter part (like the B here) stood for a particular year.

Good luck!
    A signature should go here.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Hey Toyranch,

I don't have an answer for you either, however you can try Dave Smith at the Archives, or call Disneyland directly and ask for whoever is in charge of merchandising. Dave Smith's people might have an answer for you, but you may have better luck with a person who has retail experience.

Here's a link where you can write to the archives - http://disney.go.com/inside/forms/askdave.html

Thanks!

I tried that Ask Dave link and registered and entered my question and it won't submit. I swear, every time I try to use Disney's website I leave yelling at my computer and pulling my hair out.

Is there a trick to it? (Yes, I did check the little box that I agree to the terms)

ya know what's really weird? I bought that mask at Disneyland when I was a kid. It would've been 1976ish, being that I took a bunch of pictures of the bicentennial parade, and I used the mask later in a haunted house I put together with friends, which backs up the 1976 date.

• Inhospitable about happy

There's a guy I know who's quite the old-time Disneylander and a big collector of masks. I'll contact him and ask him to look at this thread. Check back in a day or two...

1976 would be right within the date range believed to be the production era for this mask. The person I got it from insisted it was from 1970, which is what I have been trying to exclude as a valid date (not to be snarky, just for my own information ). Thanks!

Don Post Studios made this Glenn Strange Frankenstein mask in about 1975 or 76. It was part of their 1100 Mask Line. The hands are a second series of Frank. hands they made that had more curled fingers. The first set of hands were quite flat looking. I have a copy of the head myself. Always been a fan of the Universal Monsters mask line of the 60's & 70's. Hope this info helps out. Let me know if you need more.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy the Ghoul View Post
    Don Post Studios made this Glenn Strange Frankenstein mask in about 1975 or 76. It was part of their 1100 Mask Line. The hands are a second series of Frank. hands they made that had more curled fingers. The first set of hands were quite flat looking. I have a copy of the head myself. Always been a fan of the Universal Monsters mask line of the 60's & 70's. Hope this info helps out. Let me know if you need more.
    toyranch, that's the guy. I've seen his Don Post collection (on video) and trust me, he knows whereof he speaks! (Thanks, G the G.)

• Banned User

Cool item!!!!!!

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate it.