Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Feb. 22, 2007: The Old Matterhorn

"Prepare to race down the chilling slopes of the Old Matterhorn葉he pre-1978 Matterhorn."

This Yesterland entry has new pictures, including comparisons between the Matterhorn of the past and the Matterhorn of the 21st century.

Please discuss is here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Re: Feb. 22, 2007: The Old Matterhorn

Thank you Werner! Fantastic article and pictures. I was always afraid to ride it up until I turned 14 (1981) so I completely missed the "Old Matterhorn". It truly is my favorite attraction to this day.

Do you, or does anyone have any pictures of the interior of the Old Matterhorn? I'd love to see the wide open spaces.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    Do you, or does anyone have any pictures of the interior of the Old Matterhorn? I'd love to see the wide open spaces.
    I've never a seen a picture of the interior of the pre-1978 Matterhorn.

I suppose that there must have been some people who tried to a snap a picture from the Skyway as it passed through the hollow mountain. However, it was rather dark in there, and most film was not very "fast" in those days. A flash bulb or Flashcube would not have helped.

It was more fun passing through the Matterhorn on the Skyway before the Skyway route was enveloped in an "ice cavern."
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 02-21-2007 at 09:40 PM.
    Werner Weiss

• Circle of Ancients

Awesome update Werner!!!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Awesome update Werner!!!
    Thank you!

I was lucky to have vintage photos and more recent photos from such similar angles.
    Werner Weiss

A great update to Yesterland!

I understand that The Matterhorn was one of my favorite rides when I was 3 or so, but I developed a pronounced discomfort about being dropped that kept me off of it for 30-some-odd years. During the first part of that time, I looked forward to riding the Skyway to see it up close....but after the remodel it was only an intriguing mystery. Since I started riding it again, there has been a significant disconnect between my memories and the current experience.

This article filled a great deal of that gap. Many thanks.

That was a great update, Werner. I love the Matterhorn, and love the "ice caves" that are, to a great extent, disorienting.
    Unfortunately, I wasn't even close to being concieved (my Mom, in fact, was working at the Character Shop in tomorrowland) around the time it was renovated, so I never got to see the inside as it was.
    Thanks for the peek!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Great article! And it is nice that we have comparative pics side by side of how it looked back in the old days and how it looks now.

I am going to go out on a limb and say this is one ride, at least from the outside, that has improved since its first opening. I was at the doctor yesterday, and he had a calender on the wall with a picture of the real Matterhorn, and it is definitely not punctured with holes all over the place. I think the upgrades are much more realistic than when it first opened.

I can't say anything about the ride experience because while I am 38 I admit I was always to "chicken" to ride it until after the '78 refurb. But as the facade is concerned, I think it is a lot better now. (Of course I wish the skyway holes were still there)...

• FastPass n00b

Fantastic article Werner! I never knew the Matterhorn once looked like that, and the angle of the shots were incredible. Almost 50 years later the photographer was able to hit the exact same angle for a picture-perfect comparison. It really goes to show you how little of Disneyland actually changes. Although much of it has changed dramatically, there are still many parts which are identical to the day the park opened and I think that's what makes Disneyland so special even to this day.

I'm kind of torn between which one I like better. On one hand the filled-in Matterhorn looks much more aesthetically pleasing from the outside, but on the other I really like the idea of being able to see everything from the inside with the swiss-cheese Matterhorn. I guess it doesn't really matter one way or the other, we have the filled-in Matterhorn and after seeing the 2 mountains either one is fine by me.

• back in Austin

You know, the discussion at the end of the article about how the Matterhorn doesn't really belong in either FL or TL makes you realize what an odd, random decision this was on Walt's part to put a small-scale replica of a Swiss mountain in the middle of his park.

It's fun and iconic and I'm glad it was done, but it was a rather bizarre business decision. I'm trying to imagine such a decision being made today.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

RenMan, it's also interesting to read all the folks who are ticked off that Buzz is in Tomorrowland. Seems that's a better fit than the Matterhorn. I guess superfans of today are more concerned with a strict adherence to theme than even Walt was!

• just the beernecessities

Wasn't there a Holiday Hill or something where the Matterhorn stands now?? Also I feel that the Matterhorn fits in better in Fantasyland, with the European, Tyrolian, Castles, etc.. I hope someone has some photos of the inside before the remodel. I remember the inside being really dark esp. at night, but the coolest part of the "old" mountain was riding on the Skyway through the middle, back when the skys above DL had motion.
    Last edited by HeyBaloo; 02-22-2007 at 01:35 PM.

• Banned User

Great report!!! I could not help but laugh at the first two photos comparing the Matterhorn from the Hub, in 59, and early 2000's... you can see global warming has taken a toll on the Matterhorn on the latter photo.. Hahahaha!

• Infinitized!

Good article. It would be neat if they switched the cars back to single bobleighs and actually made them look like bobsleighs, and have a nod to a certain Disney movie by putting in a few bobsleighs done up in Jamaica colours:

The Jamaican bobsled from Cool Runnings at the Olympic Park gift shop in Calgary.

That would be bad for capacity, mon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast