Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Mar. 9, 2007: Inside the Old Matterhorn

Thanks so much for these photos!

I grew up going to Disneyland every couple of years but have been primarily visiting WDW since moving to the east coast 15 years ago. Last week was my first vist to Disneyland since 1998 and the first with my children. We rode the Matterhorn several times and I tried to describe the way it used to be, but my faded memories were based solely on a single ride I took in 1975. The next time we visited Disneyland was in 1978 when the new Abominable Snowman was on billboards all over Southern California.

I had hoped that the Disneyland souvenir book with it's "Then and Now" photos might include some pictures of the Matterhorn interior pre-1978, but no luck. However, it does have several excellent photos of Snow Mountain including one with the incredibly ugly central pylon of the Skyway which the Matterhorn so graciously hid from our view.

Keep it up!
    Timothy

• e komo mai

Great photos of the inside of the old Matterhorn. I had never seen pics of what it used to look like. Great stuff.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Great update! I never got to physically see or experience the mountain the old way, so it's really great to be able to see pictures and read experiences about it.

• FastPass n00b

I was born in 1979 so I never got to see the old Matterhorn, just like I never got to see what was in Big Thunder Mountain's giant footprint. It's interesting because Disney had a way of heavily modifying or destroying old attractions even in the 1970's, and yet today there are generations that have never known anything other than Thunder Mountain or a filled in Matterhorn. It' makes me think that 20-30 years from now there will be kids who's mind will boggle at the thought of a "CircleVision" or marina-themed Disneyland Hotel. It hurts us when Disney decides to remove a classic attraction, but to brand-new generations (like 10 year olds or younger), to them there is no feeling whatsoever attached to the empty voids in Disneyland nowadays nor will there ever be for them.

This is by far the best update of Yesterland. I've never seen the old Matterhorn but was always intensely curious. It looked like a lot of fun and I honestly wish I could've been there to enjoy it.

• Beat the bruins!

I think one reason the ride is much bumpier now is because of the pacers (spinning wheels) located in between both rails. They help keep the tandem bobsleds at the right speed, since the ride was originally designed only for single bobsleds. If it weren't for those, the ride would still be relatively "smooth."
    The Kid

• Inhospitable about happy

DavelandWeb has another interior shot of the Matterhorn on his site now:

• Inhospitable about happy

Yet another one comes to light, this time from Gorillas Don't Blog (http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com...orgasbord.html)

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

The images from Davelandweb and Gorillas Don't Blog are good pictures.

Temporarily wearing my moderator hat, I just want to remind everyone that inline use of images from other websites should only be done with permission from those sites. (I don't know if this was the case here or not.) Otherwise, the right thing to do is to post URLs for the content.

I have seen my photographs from Yesterland used without permission on other websites, discussion forums, and MySpace pages—often delivered from my server using bandwidth that I'm paying for. Then other people grab the images from those sites without even knowing where they're originally from. It can be discouraging. I just want to make sure that the Yesterland forums don't become guilty of the same thing.

I think it's great when Yesterland forum participants post personal images or website images (with permission) or links that provide more views of retired features of Disneyland.

Thank you!
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12