Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• ap holder

Re: Sleeping Beauty Walk Through

it was a favorite of mine as a child. how i miss it. since sleeping beauty was one of my favorites growing up

• Everthing is Satisfactual

I don't know how similar it is, as I have never been on the DL one, but at DLRP they have a walk-through stained glass +tapestry story of Sleeping Beauty. A nice little diversion it is too...

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

When I was in the parks in August of 06, I remember speaking to a security guard who had been working there for the past 30 years or so, and he told my friend and I that the main reason why they had to shut down was because of asbestos. He told me that the music is still playing and the lights are still on, however the characters are safe in storage. SO, with that in mind, it could easily be brought back, but obviously they would have to clean and probably replace a lot of what was up there for it to be safe. It would also be a money issue. It breaks my heart, because this single silly little attraction was and still is one of my fondest memories of Disneyland as a small child. Everytime I went as a kid (which was a lot) in the early 90s, the walk through would be the very first thing I did.

Just so you know, there is a you tube video of the walk through attraction, and it is pretty well done.

I hope that someday Disney will find it in their hearts to bring back this classic and sadly missed attraction!!!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Inhospitable about happy

That youtube video is GREAT. Too bad there isn't a photographic record of the original walk-thru, with the flatter set pieces. There is one really nice shot of Aurora asleep on the old Fantasyland View-Master reels, as merlinjones has already pointed out, so you can get some notion from that shot.

• Santa Barbara, CA

My favortie part was the "echo" chamber, where you could yell and hear your own voice seem to "echo"..
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Definitely miss this one! Sleeping Beauty has got to be one of my all-time favorite movies! I only got to see this attraction a few times as a kid before it was closed, and I would have liked to show my cousins, who were born after it disappeared.
    "All of our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

-Walt Disney

• Inhospitable about happy

From Al Lutz's latest update:

Building off of the success of the Dead Man's Grotto walkthrough created for Pirate's Lair, there's now a tentative plan to revamp and reopen the Sleeping Beauty diorama walkthrough in the Castle. Using new lighting and audio technology, the walkthrough would reopen as a 21st century take on the 1957 original Eyvind Earle version of the attraction. No major structural changes would be made to the facility, as that would void the grandfather clause the Castle walkthrough has to get around modern ADA laws. But the end result would be a cosmetic upgrade to the basic concept of the original 1950's walkthrough.

For the record, our contacts state the walkthrough was closed in October, 2001 due to security concerns in the wake of the September 11th attacks. The thought is now any concern about security for this Disney icon could be alleviated by placing a few hidden cameras in the corridors of the walkthrough to monitor any mischief. But in the Fall of 2001 when DCA was an utter failure at the ticket booths and the entire travel industry was spiraling into deep recession, the last thing TDA was going to spend money on was cameras for a dusty old walkthrough that few customers visited. The easy and cheap thing to do back then was to simply close the Castle walkthrough "temporarily." Luckily, it now looks like that temporary closure may end in 2008.
    What a rush! If this thing gets done, it'll be a hallelujah moment.

• Minion

Hail to the Princess Aurora!

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Glad I wasn't the only one who heard it closed down because of security concerns over 9/11. I know I'm not crazy!

Yes, hail to the Princess Aurora! It would sure be fun to walk through again, and it would really be neat to see some new tableaus as well.

• Banned User

And soon, Sleeping Beauty's Walkthrough will go from Yesterland.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123