• Sock Puppet

Extinct Attractions Club question

Has anyone here ever ordered one of the many Disneyland DVD's from the Extinct Attractions Club? I am curious about how the quality of the videos are? Are they just someones super 8mm video's compiled into a DVD or what exactly are they?

Any information on them would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Extinct Attractions Club question

I've ordered from them before, several years ago.

The quality of the first sets of videos were mostly as you say, a compliation of super 8 home movies with some narration.

However, they've improved greatly in the last couple of years, in all respects.

Dave O'Neal, the founder, now has interviews with the original stars and artists involved and archival footage woven into his DVD presentations. While the production isn't like the slick marketing jobs Disney puts out themselves, the substance is ALL there and the really good, impossible-to-find-elsewhere footage is there too.

The narration is done these days by Brian Sommer, who does some of the voice work at the Disney parks if I understand correctly. The editing is done primarily by Dave O'Neal, whose professional livelyhood is commercial video editing.

I give them the highest recommendation.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Huh?

They are great DVDs.

Good luck in ever getting them, though. Placing an order means nothing most of the time. You may get an order, but it might not be the right DVD...
    -Tim

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    They are great DVDs.

Good luck in ever getting them, though. Placing an order means nothing most of the time. You may get an order, but it might not be the right DVD...
    Agreed. They are often very slow and tough to get a hold of.
    They are nice as can be when you do get them so I hate to knock them, but service is slow and ALWAYS keep track of what you ordered.

I almost never place an order and get the DVDs without a follow up email or two.

The DVDs are great if you are a big Disney fan. I recommend Jeff Lange's DVDs, too. In fact, his are usually better.

Finally I have to recommend http://www.relivethemagic.com because they have a ridiculously comprehensive DVD set that is basically a guy with a high quality camcorder walking every single inch of WDW and Disneyland Resort.

The camera work is just OK, but anytime I have any questions about where something is or what the name of the Tiki gods are I know I can probably find it just by looking at these DVDs.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I have several DVDs from Extinct Attractions. The Haunted Mansion Story is an awesome DVD, lots of interviews with Rolly Crump, Alice Davis, Thurl R. There's also a lot of great footage, and extras. I highly recommend that one.

I also have some of the individual interview DVDs, like Alice Davis, Thurl R, Wally Boag and a few others. Those aren't so great. It's fun to see these people, and hear their stories, however the editing is lousy, and some of them seem to ramble on too long. Also, you can't hear the questions being asked (I think it's Dave Oneal offscreen) so it's hard to follow when the subject tries to answer the questions.

They are informative though, and it's great to hear the stories right from the people I've always wanted to talk to. Dave Oneal is doing all the stuff I wish I could do!

• Back After Missing MC

Thanks so much for all this information. I came across the site offering these DVDs via one of the HM threads and wondered if they were any good. They looked very interesting but it is great to hear first hand what they involve.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Agreed. They are often very slow and tough to get a hold of.

Not for me? It took them 1-2 weeks until i got my peoplemover film.

• Drunk On Disney

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Not for me? It took them 1-2 weeks until i got my peoplemover film.
    Glad to hear it.

I have beeen buying DVDs from the club since 2004 and I have bought 40+ DVDs from them. They really are great, but I have had several orders that have took months to complete.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

Well, this is my story about Extinct Attractions and I don't think it's very different from most!

I ordered - first time! -- 3 audio sets on February 19, 2007 from France and got something -- actually HALF of my order -- on April 6!

No explanation, nothing!

The address label though mentions (in abbreviations) my original order but half of it was included! Anyway, perusing the internet, I have read other stories and I am not getting paranoïd because most customers, if not all, go through that... ordeal!

Ordering from David is an ordeal!

When we know that, we're pretty "safe"!
    The audio cds are very good so... I'm eagerly waiting for the Journey Into Imagination ones... while I don't think I'll ever order again at all!

As some other Disney fan said on another chat: order NOW if you want your sets for Christmas!

Cheers from Paris!

• Koubu Pilot

This is what I have:

PeopleMover
    Monorail
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Haunted Mansion
    Phantom Manor
    Tokyo Disneyland
    Skyway

• ...the legend

Blog Entries

Geez, it was so long ago when I got mine, I can't remember if I had any problems or not. Now that I hear these "delay" stories, it rings a bell. Maybe that's why I only ended up with 2. Hmmm....
    I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it.
    That explains the trouble that I'm always in...

• Senior Minion

It seems to be a broken record unfortunately with E.A.C. Which has made many reluctant to order more. I only have the Peoplemover disc as well.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• If we can dream it.......

I have quite a few of the EAC DVDs and I'd have to echo what has already been said about the shipping. They have tried several different things to improve but it never seems to work.

The DVDs are really nice and I enjoy all of them. I will continue to purchase from them if it's something that I want knowing that I will have to wait a while for the DVD.

• Koubu Pilot

The thing that I've noticed takes a lot of time is getting new stuff released (they work on multiple projects at a time). They do warn you about the longer shipping window, but I haven't noticed the delay except for when Monorail was released (got mine a month after release).

• Drunk On Disney

Yeah, this all sounds like the EAC.

HOWEVER, I do want to restate that they are extremely honest and have never ripped me off (in dozens of purchases.)

They just seem to be very disorganized.

When I order I always follow up as often as possible with emails checking the status of my order.

Dave is a great guy and the newer DVDs are always great. They just aren't the most organized business.

I would still recomend them.

Just make sure to follow up.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com