• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

April 16, 2007: Disneyland '66 Brochure

Imagine three new attractions opening in the same year. In fact, imagine that one of those attractions is a brand new land for Disneyland. Those additions from 1966 have stood the test of time; they’re still going strong over forty years later.

Take a look at a 1966 brochure...

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Defying gravity

Re: April 16, 2007: Disneyland '66 Brochure

Wow!!! I think this is the most interesting Yesterland article on Mice Chat so far! Thanks! It really does show how Disneyland attractions stand the test of time.

• SpitSpot!

I remember that brochure! I love these articles. As a child I have vague and spotty memories of Disneyland. I love seeing the pictures, they evoke strong memories! Thanks Werner!
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Banned User

More proof that New Oreleans Square is in fact, a land of it's own.

• Santa Barbara, CA

NOS was my favorite land. I guess I liked the way it was refined and understated when it opened. Now it feels like today's NO with the beads and garish decor, not the mysterious city of the early 1800s. Your brosure rekindled why I liked the former. Thanks
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• If we can dream it.......

Great brochure, thanks for sharing Werner! I especially LOVE the 'Happiest Place on Earth' logo on the back.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    NOS was my favorite land. I guess I liked the way it was refined and understated when it opened.
    True. "Refined" is an apt description.

As I wrote in the article, the emphasis of the shops was on unique items that would be difficult or impossible to find anywhere else. (For Disney character merchandise, there were other options in Disneyland.)

There were two "waitress service" restaurants (the indoor Blue Bayou Restaurant and the outdoor Creole Cafe) and a buffeteria (the French Market).

I think New Orleans Square still retains much of its charm, but the shops have now been given over largely to Disney character merchandise.
    Werner Weiss

• Minion FOREVER!

Werner, thanks! That was a very nice read.

A point about the "Disneyland logo and font" From what I can see, we should note
    that the font on the accompanying "Guide to Disnyeland" is actually different from
    the one on the red brochure. The Guide's font looks closer to the current Disneyland Resort
    one. It's hard to see from exactly from the picture though.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Very enjoyable article. At the risk of starting any controversy, I had to notice the similarities between some people's dislike of NOS when it opened and the same problems with DCA. I've just gotta wonder, if the internet were around in 1966, what the buzz would have been over this new area that was all style over substance, and featured not a single new ride for another year. . .

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Very enjoyable article. At the risk of starting any controversy, I had to notice the similarities between some people's dislike of NOS when it opened and the same problems with DCA. I've just gotta wonder, if the internet were around in 1966, what the buzz would have been over this new area that was all style over substance, and featured not a single new ride for another year. . .
    Unlike DCA, the design and execution of New Orleans Square were absolutely first rate.

And the two "E" ticket attractions, while not open on day one, were (and still are) among the best Disney attractions ever.

That doesn't mean there weren't 10-year-olds who wished that there has been more to New Orleans Square in 1966 than "boring old shops." But even those 10-year-olds knew that great attractions were coming (after all, Walt showed us on television). And as those 10-year-olds got older, they appreciated dining, shopping, atmosphere and entertainment that New Orleans Square offered.
    Werner Weiss

• Disgruntled Former CM

Wink Re: April 16, 2007: Disneyland '66 Brochure

Werner;

Thank you for the wonderful trip to YesterLand, and the beautiful memories...

While my actual memories of the Original Tomorrowland are vague (I do remember watching the 'older kids' riding the Saucers, and I remember watching overhead as the Rocket Man flew over us), my memories of the New Tomorrowland - FULL of new exciting attractions and things to do - are vivid; the years of '66 and '67 offered all kinds of new surprises: America the Beautiful - presented in CircleVision, the WEDway People Mover, Flight to the Moon, Rocket Jets, Monsanto's Adventure into Inner Space, the amazing Carousel of Progress (all part of the glorious New TomorrowLand, and regrettably now, all since gone... several have only their 'skeletons' remaing in the Land for all to see...), Pirates of the Caribbean and It's a Small World (my mother, who worked at the Park in the 50's - when Walt used to talk to her about "adding a new Land at the end of AdventureLand with pirates and a New Orleans theme; what do you think of that Judy?!" - these were her all-time favorite attractions) - many of these were wonderful reincarnations from Walt's work for the ('64/'65) World's Fair, and ALL of these attractions were Pure Disney Magic: distinct, unique, one-of-a-kind, never-before-seen, First Rate, crowd pleasing, awe-inspiring attractions...

Is it any wonder why the 'old Generation' of Disneyphiles - those who were lucky enough to grow up experiencing (and I'm afraid expecting) this quality (and quantity!) of Disney fare at 'the Park' are disappointed from time to time with the 'recent Administrations' ? It seems that whenever Walt was envisioning a Big Change at the Park, Expectations were high - the (Blue) Sky was the Limit! Now, whenever we hear that they are contemplating making a Big Change, everyone cringes...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Great article!

*sigh* Unique shops...how I'd love to see those again...

Walt was always working on something exciting and new for Disneyland, always plussing things. Wish more executives had a mindset like him. Not that things aren't getting better, but it's taken far too long for improvements and maitenance to take effect, imo.

• official graffiti remover

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    Werner, thanks! That was a very nice read.

A point about the "Disneyland logo and font" From what I can see, we should note
    that the font on the accompanying "Guide to Disnyeland" is actually different from
    the one on the red brochure. The Guide's font looks closer to the current Disneyland Resort
    one. It's hard to see from exactly from the picture though.

yes, the current Disneyland logo is basically "taller" than the old (circa 1966) logo. it's not obvious at first, but the slight differences are most telling in the swoops of the "D" and by a side by side comparison of the fonts.

because of the slightly taller letters (i through d) the current logo has more of a "small caps" look as a result, which is more modern while still retaining the original charm. cool brochure, I also liked the "GE publicity photos"!

I'm trying to remember when my first visit to DLP would have been, and without the ability to consult family photo albums at the moment, I'd have to conclude it was in 1978, the year my family moved to California (I was almost 4). I remember most if not all of the 'new' attractions from '66 as a result, and actually miss a few of them dearly! particularly the great America the Beautiful (inspiration for Soarin' over California IMHO), Rocket Jets, People Mover, in addition to the fun Skyway of course. fun times, thanks for bringing it back Yesterland style
    Last edited by bri719; 04-24-2007 at 06:52 PM.
    The hard part living 2 miles from Angel Stadium, 4 miles from DLR is deciding what to do next.

Most recent visits:
    Sun 6/3/2007 (DLP)
    Thu 4/26/2007 (DCA)