Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has Disneyland Broken Your Heart?

I had a strange experience a few months back. POTC had just undergone it's big changes and as I got off the ride, a little sadly, I realized I didn't need to come back to Disneyland. And I haven't.

I've been mulling this over for awhile now (I had the Premium pass for a number of years and often would visit three or four times a month) and this is what I've come up with: Disneyland was a place of nostaligia. As all of my childhood homes have disappeared (military brat and such), DL was the one place that had remained mostly the same.

One by one, all of the rides I connected with as a child have disappeared or changed (the Skyway, Swiss Family Robinson's Treehouse, the Sleeping Beauty Walkthru, changes to Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Pirates, etc.) No matter how much "better" the improvements may or may not have been, they made it "different" and slowly distanced me from my nostalgia.

I know that I am in the minority and the general public loves what is going on, but is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience? A moment when the changes got to be too much? What happened? What was your tipping point?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: Has Disneyland Broken Your Heart?

I still love Disneyland, but to me, it was Tomorrowland. That places is just bland, generic, and has nothing to do with learning about science and future explorations of man anymore.

• SpitSpot!

I love the nostalgia of Disneyland. I like to stand in lines and tell my kids what it use to be like. But with that said, I love how Disneyland is always evolving and changing. Even now as it changes, my kids now say "Hey, remember when?" That is fun too. Change is good. I wouldn't keep coming back if it always stayed the same.
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Faith, Trust & Pixie dust

I'm sorry Schmoogie. Your post sounds so sad. Change can be scary. I can't identify with you in terms of DL since my first visit was only a couple of years ago, but I can identify with losing the houses you lived in. When my parents died quite a few years back, the house was sold. I'll never get to visit it again. My husband's parents still live in the house he grew up in and knows how lucky he is.

Don't give up on DL. So many millions of people visit it each year and love it so. Keep your memories but try to embrace the changes with an open heart.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I am sorry that your heart has been broken by Disneyland. I haven't visited enough for that to have happened to me. My first visit was during Anniversary week in 2005. Everything at Disneyland is still magical to me, because I still haven't seen everything that I want to see there. I always come home, with a list of things to do.

I can only wish that somehow you get your magic back.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Hasnt broken mine yet. Disneyland is a living organism. It needs to evolve and expand to stay alive. If not, it will become stagnant and die. Change keeps new guests and money coming in the front gates.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Sad Re: Has Disneyland Broken Your Heart?

I hear 'ya Sister...

I want to still see Disneyland through my 1960's Kid's eyes, and either my vision ain't what it used to be, or maybe I am just seeing things too clearly for my own good...

TomorrowLand is so sad... I remember the '66/'67 "New" TomorrowLand and all the goodies to visit and see: America the Beautiful in CircleVision, Monsanto's Adventure through Inner Space, Flight to the Moon, the Rocket Jets, the WEDway People Mover, the Carousel of Progress! Man, we were movin', and discoverin', and lookin' Back, and lookin' Around, and lookin' Forward! Now, these attractions are all gone / replaced / shuttered, and the Land just looks sterile and bleak - and that's not how I want to view my "Tomorrow"... Seeing the skeletons of these bygone classics (empty building, empty tracks) is just like going to the Zoo, and seeing a dead elephant in the cage; "we bought this here new elephant and we thought it was going to be great! But he died, and we didn't know what to do with him anymore, so we just sorta left him here to huh, er, I dunno... we're gonna replace him - eventually..."

Visiting the Lands used to be just like "Traveling": you could buy a rubber snake and a safari hat in AdventureLand, and a modern looking Mickey hat in TomorrowLand, and a Small World doll in FantasyLand, and a big lollypop on Main Street, and a Pendleton shirt (it gets cold at night on the River!) in FrontierLand... now, Cast Members in Victorian dresses are hawking light sabres and glow-in-the-dark necklaces on Main Street before the parades, and everything is found everywhere in the Park; nothing seems "One-of-a-Kind" any more, it's all just 'stuff' to be sold and hawked at every store, at every cart, at the exit to every attraction... the same with the food; we would always have a big discussion / meeting about where we were going to eat! Casa Del Frito? the French Market? the Hungry Bear? Carnation Plaza? the Blue Bayou?! Now, who cares? the same fast food 'stuff' is at all of the restaurants... I am simplifying the matter, and there are exceptions, but that is the way it feels... You can FEEL it in New Orleans Square, in the lack of much of the missing original ambiance... You can SEE it on Main Street; behind the facades, it's now just one big huge shopping mall store to buy 'stuff'.

I keep looking for "Disney" in the Park - and it's getting harder and harder to find... the Park, sorry, the RESORT is just getting so watered down, so un-themed, so generic, so Great Mall of America - and the attractions... where are they? I want to see something MOVING in TomorrowLand! Are we going to be standing still in the Future? I want to be looking forward to (a) an exciting new attraction - more often that every 5 or 10 years, (b) maybe seeing a new animal or new production value on the "Jungle Cruise" - in my lifetime, (c) a new Disney Classic brought to life in a new Attraction... maybe 'Finding Nemo' will fill the bill; but it certainly seems like it has been a long time between New Rides... (if they were at least Imagineering the New Ones at the same rate that they were shuttering the Old Ones, I don't think that there would be as many complaints...).

And crowded; I don't remember the Park ever being as crowded as it seems to be nowadays; filled with Southern California Annual Passport holders, teenagers line-hopping to get to the front of another attraction; DisneyLand isn't an Event anymore, it's something to do on the weekends, every weekend, and someplace to go because we-have-our-Annual-Passport-and-it's-cheaper-to-go-here-than-to-the zoo / mall / movies / anyplace else. I bought Annual 2-Park Passports for my family every year - until I saw / figured out what it was doing to the Park...

To be honest, I have not seen the new additions / changes to Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, or Haunted Mansion; I have seen what they did with the space in the former parking lot - not exactly what I would say is worth throwing the kids in the car and heading across the country to see... and Walt must be turning in his grave. Maybe I will like what they have done with the Old Classics, and it will restore my faith in those that are currently running the Park; but, to be honest, I haven't gone to view the changes in these attractions because right now my heart is just 'slightly hairline cracked' - I don't want it to break entirely...

• no flash photography...

yes, the skyway is gone and my beloved chicken of the sea pirate ship. I also miss the country bear jamboree and the snoring bear that we passed walking to it.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    I still love Disneyland, but to me, it was Tomorrowland. That places is just bland, generic, and has nothing to do with learning about science and future explorations of man anymore.
    Same here. Ever since the change in '98, Tomorrowland has been my least favorite land in the park. I LOVE Space Mountain and still enjoy Star Tours and even the new BLAB ride but it's just something about that land that seems so depressing. Definatetly isn't about Tomorrow, at all! I really miss those mosaic tile murals that used to be in Tomorrowland. I should go look at some old family videos and reminesce (sp?).

Quote Originally Posted by ragrobyn View Post
    I love the nostalgia of Disneyland. I like to stand in lines and tell my kids what it use to be like. But with that said, I love how Disneyland is always evolving and changing. Even now as it changes, my kids now say "Hey, remember when?" That is fun too. Change is good. I wouldn't keep coming back if it always stayed the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sosai X View Post
    Hasnt broken mine yet. Disneyland is a living organism. It needs to evolve and expand to stay alive. If not, it will become stagnant and die. Change keeps new guests and money coming in the front gates.
    You both bring up great points. No matter how much we want to keep our favorites in the park, we have to realize that Disneyland and everything else under the sun changes. If Disneyland didn't change, we would be doing the exact opposite of what Walt would have wanted with his creation, his dream. But on the OP's aspect and EvilQueen's post as well, many things have not changed for the better.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoogie View Post
    I had a strange experience a few months back. POTC had just undergone it's big changes and as I got off the ride, a little sadly, I realized I didn't need to come back to Disneyland. And I haven't.

I've been mulling this over for awhile now (I had the Premium pass for a number of years and often would visit three or four times a month) and this is what I've come up with: Disneyland was a place of nostaligia. As all of my childhood homes have disappeared (military brat and such), DL was the one place that had remained mostly the same.

One by one, all of the rides I connected with as a child have disappeared or changed (the Skyway, Swiss Family Robinson's Treehouse, the Sleeping Beauty Walkthru, changes to Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Pirates, etc.) No matter how much "better" the improvements may or may not have been, they made it "different" and slowly distanced me from my nostalgia.

I know that I am in the minority and the general public loves what is going on, but is there anyone out there who has had a similar experience? A moment when the changes got to be too much? What happened? What was your tipping point?
    Schmoogie - first off, I really appreciate your post and this thread. Your points are well thought-out.

Not to bore everyone else who's seen this a zillion times now, but I've been visiting Disneyland since 1961...and spent eight years working for the Mouse with the iron first inside that white glove.
    After I left DL in 1982, I came back probably twice a year on freebies they'd give me for being an alleged radio "personality".
    I saw all the changes too, and did my best to accept them as being "for the good of the park".

Starting in about 1995, I stopped coming for about a ten-year period...It wasn't so much the park as it was that I lived 100 miles away, and had other things going on.

But then a couple of years back I started having a yen to relive some of the good times I had working there, and started searching the Internet. That led me, indirectly, here.

For me, coming back has been a mixed-emotion experience. I go to MiceChat meets at the hub, and tell them of some of my old exploits, and some of them are even interested! I get to relive some of the "good old days" and meet "great new friends" at the same time.

I think I know how you feel. I'd like a lot of things back the way they were, too...like I'd like to have the old parking lot back for one thing.

But some of the new things are pretty cool too! And it was those new things that brought MiceChat about, and mc brought me back to the "lady" I've loved all along, warts and all.

Stick around MiceChat. You never know when that old flame might be re-lit.

Regards,

Barry

Thanks, everyone, for your insightful comments! Evil Queen, it sounds like the Disneyland we both bonded to still had that same magic. I have one of those international dolls from Fantasyland and, man, I dreamt of someday being able to get one of those pith helmets that used to be in Adventureland. I remember I really had to search hard to find a cup with Mickey Mouse on it. Your comment about Tomorrowland got me laughing. Nail on the head with the dead elephant.

It seems like there used to be so much imagination. Whenever I would explain my love of DL, usually "creative genius was born there" crept itself into the conversation. Perhaps it is the old museum geek in me. I'm sad that the masterpieces I fell in love with are considered "unappealing to today's generation" and have to be tweaked in order to be relevant. Kind of like hearing that the Mona Lisa can only be appreciated if she is turned into a 3-D hologram image, because otherwise the kids won't get it.

Again, I know that most people disagree and there are the turnstiles and ticket sales to prove it. I don't profess to be anything but a sentimental old fool.

But if there are folks who made their first visits to Disneyland 20+ years ago, what do you think of what has gone on lately? Do you find the same magic when you return? Ragrobyn made an interesting point with creating new memories with the kids. I was going there by myself or with friends. Does having children along make it easier to connect to nostalgia? Do you think you would enjoy the park as much if you did not have "the eyes of a child" along to view it through?

And also, you all are so sweet thinking I'm sad about this. Don't you worry. It is more of a feeling of closure. Like talking about an old boyfriend years later where you look back and go, "I know at one point this person had a lot of meaning. I wonder what that was about?"

• Inhospitable about happy

We used to live in Simi and visited DL one to three times a year throughout the sixties and seventies. Moved to Northern Cal and visited more like every other year throughout the eighties.

No visits from 1989 until 2005 (yup, 16 years!)

That 2005 visit was one of the best and most magical ever. Do I miss the old stuff? Duh, I'm reading and posting at the Yesterland forum, after all!

The real magic of DL for me is not just the park, or me in the park, but experiencing the park with people I love. That's what I learned the last visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Schmoogie - first off, I really appreciate your post and this thread. Your points are well thought-out.

Not to bore everyone else who's seen this a zillion times now, but I've been visiting Disneyland since 1961...and spent eight years working for the Mouse with the iron first inside that white glove.
    After I left DL in 1982, I came back probably twice a year on freebies they'd give me for being an alleged radio "personality".
    I saw all the changes too, and did my best to accept them as being "for the good of the park".

Starting in about 1995, I stopped coming for about a ten-year period...It wasn't so much the park as it was that I lived 100 miles away, and had other things going on.

But then a couple of years back I started having a yen to relive some of the good times I had working there, and started searching the Internet. That led me, indirectly, here.

For me, coming back has been a mixed-emotion experience. I go to MiceChat meets at the hub, and tell them of some of my old exploits, and some of them are even interested! I get to relive some of the "good old days" and meet "great new friends" at the same time.

I think I know how you feel. I'd like a lot of things back the way they were, too...like I'd like to have the old parking lot back for one thing.

But some of the new things are pretty cool too! And it was those new things that brought MiceChat about, and mc brought me back to the "lady" I've loved all along, warts and all.

Stick around MiceChat. You never know when that old flame might be re-lit.

Regards,

Barry

Hey Barry!

Thank you for a great post! It made me think... I had about a fifteen-year period where I hadn't visited the park (we had moved away from California) and when I came back, the changes over those fifteen years didn't bother me as much. In fact, I was madly in love with everything. But the changes now are what broke that bond, and here I was a bit of a "regular" for about five years. Perhaps I rebonded with the rides and now am mad, not so much they've changed since childhood, but they've changed, period? Hmmm... Anyone with any ideas or similar experiences? It was such a bizarre disconnect. The moment "Yo Ho" had been replaced by the movie soundtrack, it was like a lightswitch. I wonder if familiarity bred contempt?

Maybe DL and I just need a break. I'll start seeing other parks, DL can start seeing other visitors. Maybe on a dusky evening, when DL is closed to almost all visitors except me and my 10,000 friends from my credit union, DL and I'll reconnect and rekindle.

• For You!

All I can say is that I still feel the same way every time I enter the gate. No matter what changes, the feelings are still the same for me. I smile and listen to the music and I'm happy.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   

I don't mind the change, it's the emptiness that bothers me.

I know it's already been said a billion times (I think it is therapy for me to say it myself), but the problem isn't that rides get replaced. The problem is that the rides get closed, and their empty shells sit for YEARS with the purpose only to remind us of how magical they were.

The Walt Disney Company is a large, multi-national corporation which puts their shareholders and profits above everything else. As long as we keep buying tickets and annual passes they will think everything is OK. And, as much as it bothers me, the average visitor does not realize what Disneyland was meant to be and how far it has strayed from the original vision. As long as families keep flocking to "Disney Parks" (aaaaaaghhhhh) we are forced to live with their financially based decisions.

I look at the whole situation (from the start of the Pressler/Harris era to now) as if a dark spell has been cast by an evil witch (Eisner). We briefly had hope with a knight in shining armor (Ouimet), but the spell was too strong to break by just one person. Far in the distance another knight approaches (Lasseter), but his quest is just to break the spell over one kingdom. So, each time I go to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World, which 95% of the guests think IS "Disney World", and I watch "Wishes" , I always wish for one thing - that one day, one bright shiny day, the spell will be lifted and Walt's legacy will no longer be forgotten.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast