Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's your memory of Splash mountain?

I remembered when i was 11 going to Disneyland for the first time, i was in line and was on the ride as i remembered closing my eyes when the big part was coming up as i plunged down.

Great memories!

• FastPass n00b

Re: What's your memory of Splash mountain?

13 years old and terrified. I had to hold my breath and clench the sidebars tightly just to get through it.

Now, I stayed in the Disneyland Hotel in 1989 and someone remarked to me, quite correctly, that I'd "need 2 days just to stand in line for Splash Mountain". It was only about 3 hours at the time but that's pretty standard for a new Disneyland E-ticket. The real line will be the Nemo subs this summer since it's not just a new E-ticket, but it's the first return ever of a past attraction (not to mention a classic) and its loading capacity is dreadful. I'm thinking 3 hours is not that long to wait nowadays.

• Big Kid

That end of the park had been walled off for a long time and we had just walked back there to peek through the fences to see what we could see, they were letting people ride! It was weeks before it was supposed to open and boy were we excited!

The line wasn't long at all, I guess because it hadn't been announced that it was open. I'm sure I was tall enough to go on it, I was 29.

•   
    • I <3 °o°

Opening, I don't think I was tall enough to ride at the time, but i remember the long line and my grandparents waiting in line for the family

Thats me in the stroller
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Being maybe 5 or 6, riding for the firt time at night, and freaking out because I couldn't see the drops. My mom tried to comfort me and told me that all of the drops were done...but I remember where she told me that, and we had barely begun the ride! Ahk.

Took me a few years to get over that.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I remember the wooded hill with Rufus snoring away...

• For You!

We were there the summer it opened - we got to go on one of the preview rides! We waited about 3 hours, but it was so worth it! I remember my cousin and my sister running for churros about every 15 minutes!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• is NOT Lea Salonga

I had to be in 3rd grade back in 1993. I went with my parents. I still have the splash down photo somewhere. When I finally with with my friends and cousins in the 4th grade, I was the only one willing to go on Splash Mountain, and any log ride for that matter. I don't know why my girl friends were always afraid of log rides. *shrug*

Escapade
    Disneyland Resort trip reports

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I got to ride Splash Mountain for the first time on my 15th birthday in 1989 (the summer it opened). I remember thinking it was the coolest ride ever. I remember wearing the t-shirt I got to school a lot that fall. Wish I still had it.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

My memory of Splash Mountain goes back to when it opened in 1989 and I was 18. My most recent memory was when I saw it 'in action' yesterday at Disneyland - which leads me to my question. Why is this in the YESTERLAND category if Splash Mountain is still in operation??? Have I missed something???

• A Disneyland Hobo

My first memory is actually from only a few years back. My brother was forcing me to go on every single ride(I had never ridden a roller coaster until BTMRR and Splash was my first log ride after many years of fearing them). I was freaked out the whole time, but when we finished I was in love with the ride! I still thank my brother for forcing me on it(and BTMRR).

Also just this last March my brother, his friend, and I were all stuck on it, listening to "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah" over and over again...The sound turned off once or twice..that was just creepy.

Now I must admit that these memories are from Disney World. But of Disneyland I remember last year riding it and my dad getting soaked and really mad because my mom and I barely got wet!

• Banned User

I remember when it was being built!!!!!! We'd watch as it became what it is today.

I remember riding it the first time and my daughter looks, in the photo from the ride, like she's being murdered! haha! Her mouth is WIDE open and it looks like she's screaming like something from the movie Psycho. We always get a good laugh at it now.

I've always like flume rides. The first time I went to Magic Mountain, the log ride and the Jet Stream were my favorites -- I was a bit of a roller coaster wimp in those days. So I love Splash Mountain -- all the thrills of a standard log ride, plus al the wonderful music and animatronics. Plus some features you don't get on the standard flume ride -- the first time I rode it, the section where you actually go up while coasting really threw me!

I do sometimes call it "Slosh Mountain" though -- it seems the that I don't usually get wet from the big splashes, but there's always some point where water sloshes over the side into my lap.

The one disappointing aspect to the ride, I've always felt, is the queue area, which is pretty dull. Considering how long the lines often are, I wish they could jazz that up a bit. Though I'm not sure exactly how.

• Done and Gone

I remember seeing it go vertical and being amazed that it was built like a building. All I saw was the skeleton and the picture and I wondered how they would make it look like a mountain... lol

My first visit was about a month after it opened. It was the longest line I had ever stood in during my 12 years of life. I don't remember how much time it took, but it stretched to about where the docks for the rafts are.

My mom didn't want to go on the ride, and she felt that if she got in line she would have to ride... lol So I stood alone in line with her following outside the line. I made friends with a family of 3 from Ohio that was their visiting and I ended up riding with them.

It was also very hot that day... Ah memories. I have a TON of pics from that day. Need to scan em in.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    My memory of Splash Mountain goes back to when it opened in 1989 and I was 18. My most recent memory was when I saw it 'in action' yesterday at Disneyland - which leads me to my question. Why is this in the YESTERLAND category if Splash Mountain is still in operation??? Have I missed something???
    I think it's only in the Yesterland section because it's about past memories. As for me, my first memory was just waiting in line forever and being terrified of the ride. If I went when the ride first opened, I would have only been six. But I also do remember sitting with my mom which seemed like forever while my dad, my two brothers, and one of my brother's friends went on Splash. Still don't get why she couldn't take me to ride other rides... My last memory is from this past Monday. I got soaked on my right side sitting in the second seat. A big ol' splash of water (or should I say "splosh" as someone else said it?) came up and soaked my right shoe and lap. Luckily, I had my Croc's in my backpack to change into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast