• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Remember Disneyland "Festivals"???

I remember in the late 1970's and early 80's, that Disneyland would have special weekend "festivals" to celebrate different countries.

The ones I remember are "Festival Mexico", "Festival Japan", and maybe "Festival Canada".

Those of us who were CM's at the time wore special name tags I believe, there were special demonstrations and foods around the park, etc. These weekends were scheduled in the off-season, as I recall.

Anyone here have memories of this? Pictures of these?

--Barry

PS...Just in case anyone might wonder, these had no connection to the "Festival of Fools" that the park had in the mid-90's after "Hunchback".

Re: Remember Disneyland "Festivals"???

Yes, I remember when they had these. I remember them doing Festival Mexico and Festival Japan. The only one I ever actually got to go for was Festival Japan. The best I can remember, there were some Japanese flavor decorations and displays in parts of the park and there was a parade that featured many Japanese dance and cultural groups in costume and the characters in Japanese costumes. There might have been Japanese food offerings, I don't remember. I loved the Hispanic festival (forget the name of it) that they had at DCA for a couple of years awhile back. It was a lot of fun. Would have been great if they'd done an Asian culture celebration, too.

I also really enjoyed the off-season Blast to the Past and Circus Fantasy promotions. Really, really fun. They really should have brought back some elements of Blast to the Past for the 50th celebration to tie it back to the 1950's. Regrettably, I never went during the State Fair promotions. I've seen video from that and it looked like a lot of fun. I miss the good old days when they had different things like these going on in different seasons. It gave the Park a different character and flavor.

I will try to dig out some images of these.

I know they ran at least as late as 1985, because I remember seeing the 30th Parade with Jack Wagner's parade announcement being done in Spanish for that weekend. I think they still had Festival Japan at that point too.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Yes, I remember when they had these. I remember them doing Festival Mexico and Festival Japan. The only one I ever actually got to go for was Festival Japan. The best I can remember, there were some Japanese flavor decorations and displays in parts of the park and there was a parade that featured many Japanese dance and cultural groups in costume and the characters in Japanese costumes. There might have been Japanese food offerings, I don't remember. I loved the Hispanic festival (forget the name of it) that they had at DCA for a couple of years awhile back. It was a lot of fun. Would have been great if they'd done an Asian culture celebration, too.
    Given the demographic makeup of the communities surrounding DL today, an Asian culture celebration even today would not be out of place.

Wonderful memories of the Festival Japan days! Exactly what I was talking about.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

I can see reviving something like this at D. C. A.