• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

May 4, 2007: Rizzo's Prop & Pawn Shop

Do you remember Rizzo’s Prop & Pawn Shop, one of the original features of Disney's California Adventure?

If so, have you noticed that it's no longer around?

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: May 4, 2007: Rizzo's Prop & Pawn Shop

The loss of Rizzo's Prop & Pawn Shop for the completely meaningless "Studio Store" (whatever that is supposed to be) is yet another step backwards Disney's California Adventure has taken.

What is the Hollywood area of D.C.A. supposed to be, now? ... a fake studio? ... or, even worse, a fake studio theme park?

The genius of the original idea was in the fact that Hollywood Boulevard eventually reveals itself to be a backlot stage set and not the real avenue.

Instead of Monsters, Inc. and the other changes that did occur to this part of D.C.A., Rizzo's should have stayed where it was and the cheesy, creepy, and grotesque parts of Superstar Limo should have been replaced by Audio-Animatronic Muppet characters doing their own satire of show business and of Los Angeles. By attempting to preserve some of the original design intent of the Hollywood area and of Superstar Limo, Disney would have made a truly creative and whimsical attraction that also would have been more cost-effective.

Such an attraction still makes sense for that location. The Muppets should have more of a presence in D.C.A. because they fit very well with the tone and subject matter of the Hollywood area.

Actually, Disney should be doing more with the Muppets, in general. They'll be successful in the future as long as they exemplify parody, satire, and absurdity through truly funny and imaginative writers and performers.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Muppets aside, it's funny to me how a stand with so much theme and texture can be "improved" into something so generic and bland. There is no expectation of anything unique being sold at that Studio Store. I wonder how well it does? Interesting tidbit Werner, Thanks
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• SpitSpot!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    Muppets aside, it's funny to me how a stand with so much theme and texture can be "improved" into something so generic and bland. There is no expectation of anything unique being sold at that Studio Store. I wonder how well it does? Interesting tidbit Werner, Thanks
    Well said Cousin!
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• The one, the only...

Great story Werner!

I usually enjoy your stories about great attractions that have been lost or missed from the past. I found this story very interesting when one looks at the boring shop that it has become.

One other note, the commend that Disney chose the "industrial look" to mimic a real studio was interesting. If one goes to Disney Studio, it has hardly an industrial look. It is rather plush and well themed and decorated. (Maybe a more than DCA!) You won't see pipes and exposed wires there. I think that the real motivation was just to save money by incompletely finishing DCA and claiming that it was "theming."
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Circle of Ancients

I think Rizzo's looked WAY better than it does now.

• Animatronic

Was the change one of DCA's Place Destroying projects?

God that Superstar Limo was about he Lamest Ride i had ever been on!! I hear Muppet 3-D is next on chopping block ,I love that show
    AND TO THINK IT ALL STARTED WITH A MOUSE

• Banned User

if they replace muppetvision with pixar, or do not add another muppet attraction to replace it (not necessarily in place of muppetvision) then i have lost all faith in disney. If you buy something, you should use it; not push it away and let it rot.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    if they replace muppetvision with pixar, or do not add another muppet attraction to replace it (not necessarily in place of muppetvision) then i have lost all faith in disney. If you buy something, you should use it; not push it away and let it rot.
    MuppetVision 3D has been running at Disney's California Adventure in the park opened in February 2001. That's over 6 years.

Meanwhile, Mickey's PhilharMagic has been a big hit at the Magic Kingdom in Florida since 2003 (and Hong Kong Disneyland since 2005). But it's not part of the Disneyland Resort.

I haven't heard anything about MuppetVision 3D closing, except for what I've read in this thread. If it happens, the logical replacement for MuppetVision 3D would be Mickey's PhilharMagic.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions