Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rohnert Park, CA Just a bit north of San Francisco

Red Face Re: June 15, 2007: ABC Soap Opera Bistro

This was funny. I loved this restaurant so much. I was showing my fiancee the pictures you had as we had not met yet when it was operating. I was telling him about the time I spent my 24th Birthday there. When I went to show him where I was sitting in Adam Chandler's living room, imagine my surprise when I was staring right back at me. Whoever took that picture got me and my friend Tiffany sitting by the Christmas Tree celebrating my birthday.

Katie

• Glad to hear: Flynn Lives

Re: June 15, 2007: ABC Soap Opera Bistro

We were there on our honeymoon in November, 2001 and it was closed. I think they didn't open it except on busy days anymore. My wife was upset, but was even more upset when it was gone by our next trip.

From the pictures, it looks like I would have had a blast, too. It was just built in the wrong spot. It should have just been built right in Downtown Disney in the first place. Actually, they should rebuild it there as part of the expansion.
    Daffy: How's this for a new team name: The Ducks!
    Bugs: Please! What kind of Mickey Mouse organization would name their team The Ducks?

• Drunk On Disney

I went there in 2002 and was anxiously awaiting my dinner at ABC SOB. Sadly it was gone.

I don't watch soaps, but the concept seemed very much like 50s Prime Time Cafe at DisneyMGM Studios.

I wish DL resort had more cool places to dine, like WDW does (Sci-Fi, Bier Garten, Coral Reef etc.)

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

This restaurant was the best thing going in DCA. I ate there several times and miss it terribly. The food wasn't all that "pricey" for the amount and quality (and the quality was top notch - it was "real" food for adults!), the atmosphere was stunning, and while the "acting" could be annoying, if you politely told your server you weren't in the mood, they'd leave you alone.

There was also a set of the Buchanan stables from One Life To Live. Don't know if there were actually any tables back there, but I do remember hearing the whinnying horses during lunch there one day.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    I remember the Soap Opera Bistro! I dined there back in 2001 when I first visited the park. I liked the restaurant; it still remains one of my favorite Disney theme park restaurants even from the grave. It was clever and the food wasn't bad. I was most certainly disapointed to see it close, but the reasoning was sound. DCA simply had too many restaurants and shops (it continues to beat Disneyland in those areas by sheer number) and not enough attractions and shows. I'm sure the change was for the better- but it's a pity this concept couldn't have worked at the Disney MGM Studios.

Heck, perhaps it would be good to bring one of MGM's restaurants to DCA (it certainly has the room for it in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot section). I think something like the 50's Prime Time Cafe or Hollywood and Dine could work there. That section of the park is now void of a sit down restaurant (to be fair, even Disneyland only has two table-service restaurants and until recently had only one).
    Hollywood and Dine existed briefly after DCA opened. Its fate was the same as the Soap Opera Bistro. DCA had way too much shopping and dining when it opened. "People don't come to Disneyland to ride rides... They come to eat and shop!" Keep telling yourself that, Pressler.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• ...TWO BITS!

If you'd like to see the DCA TV special segment that REALLY focused on this restaurant, click on my youtube link in my signature and send me an invite. The videos are set on private.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

My wife and I loved this place. We ate here 2 or 3 times and were sad to see it gone when we came back later. We were not Soap Opera fans, but you didn't have to be to have a good time. The food was not much more expensive than the regular food and much better.

My 4 year old daughter loves the Play House Disney show now.

-Mike

Did anyone ever see any of the props from the Bistro in any auctions? If not, maybe they have it in storage to maybe bring it back one day. It sounds like a lot of fun.
    ----------------
    DL Pre 1995- Grew up 10 minutes away...too many times to list!
    DL Offsite Honeymoon 5/95
    DL GC 5 nights 11/01
    DL PP Concierge 5 nights 11/03
    DL GC Concierge 5 nights 11/05
    DL GC Concierge 7 Nights! 11/07
    We love DL at Christmastime!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12