Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

June 15, 2007: ABC Soap Opera Bistro

This week, Yesterland makes its fifth visit to Yester California Adventure with the addition of the ABC Soap Opera Bistro.

Link to ABC Soap Opera Bistro at Yesterland.

I have to admit I don't know anything about soap operas. So I had to read up on the ABC soap operas whose sets were re-created in this short-lived restaurant. I hope I didn't make any mistakes.

Please discuss the pictures and the article here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Know More Than You Should

Re: June 15, 2007: ABC Soap Opera Bistro

I remember the Soap Opera Bistro! I dined there back in 2001 when I first visited the park. I liked the restaurant; it still remains one of my favorite Disney theme park restaurants even from the grave. It was clever and the food wasn't bad. I was most certainly disapointed to see it close, but the reasoning was sound. DCA simply had too many restaurants and shops (it continues to beat Disneyland in those areas by sheer number) and not enough attractions and shows. I'm sure the change was for the better- but it's a pity this concept couldn't have worked at the Disney MGM Studios.

Heck, perhaps it would be good to bring one of MGM's restaurants to DCA (it certainly has the room for it in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot section). I think something like the 50's Prime Time Cafe or Hollywood and Dine could work there. That section of the park is now void of a sit down restaurant (to be fair, even Disneyland only has two table-service restaurants and until recently had only one).

• When Will It Return?

No mention of the fire? Wasn't that just about the main reason why it closed & never re-opened again? Then it was a typical SBNO building until they decided Playhouse Disney should go in? Maybe I'm a little mixed up, but that's how I remember it happening...

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• ...TWO BITS!

Thanks for menu and dates. This certainly did sound like a winner. But I'm sure the price and the fact that it's based on soap operas would probably keep me out. But I would have LOVED to try the place.

I'm not sure if you want to mention that the Walt Disney Studios Paris theme park's Armageddon attraction was planned to replace Bistro at some point.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    I remember the Soap Opera Bistro! I dined there back in 2001 when I first visited the park. I liked the restaurant; it still remains one of my favorite Disney theme park restaurants even from the grave. It was clever and the food wasn't bad. I was most certainly disapointed to see it close, but the reasoning was sound. DCA simply had too many restaurants and shops (it continues to beat Disneyland in those areas by sheer number) and not enough attractions and shows. I'm sure the change was for the better- but it's a pity this concept couldn't have worked at the Disney MGM Studios.

Heck, perhaps it would be good to bring one of MGM's restaurants to DCA (it certainly has the room for it in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot section). I think something like the 50's Prime Time Cafe or Hollywood and Dine could work there. That section of the park is now void of a sit down restaurant (to be fair, even Disneyland only has two table-service restaurants and until recently had only one).
    Actually, Disneyland has three table-service restaurants: Blue Bayou, Cafe Orleans, and Carnation Cafe.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• missing the DisneyGallery

Not sure about you but I am anxiously awaiting Golden Dreams entrance to Yesterland.

When attractions were original

When I ate there, I didn't know any of the Soap's it was re-creating, but I had a BLAST! I have an 'Alter- Ego' named Bruce & a buddy of mine was a relegious Baptist struggeling with his sexuality at the time of dinning. The 'stars' showed up & put me and my buddy in the middle of the action. I remember the lady said she was running off with Bruce (me) and that Preacher Scott (my buddy's name & the ex-Baptist) was to marry us! It was hilarous. We started to wonder if Disney was spying on us!

I was dissapointed to see it leave. The food was yummy & I found it to be a neat place to dine.

•   
    • Minion

This looked like something good on paper, but was doomed from the get go... One of the too many restuarants the park had, and not nearly enough attractions...
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

My wife and I ate there and loved it! The food was great and the sets were amazing. We ate in Chandler's mansion. It was the only other Themed Restaurant that immersed you besides the Blue Bayou. Except...our servers were actual characters from the soaps! It was entertaining. I am hoping with the complete refacement of DCA these restaurants will come back.

Maybe they can do something like Sci-Fi Drive in or Primetime 50's Cafe. Those would be pehnomenally popular in CA I think. I would eat there every time we go. It would get me over to DCA to as we skip that park when we go to Disneyland.

This was one of my family's highlights of our first trip to DCA in 2001. It was so much fun and we do not like soaps. This restaurant like Primetime at MGM are really fun because of how the CMs interact with everyone. My wife was some hieress and they used her a lot on their act. It was so funny. I wish this restaurant would have been kept as we would definately have gone back. I understand there were too many restaurants, but this one was really unique. DCA needs to have another restaurent like this. Maybe one of the other restaurants could change formats to include the kind of interactions like from Soap Opera Bistro.

• The one, the only...

I have always loved the 50's Prime Time Cafe at DMGMS. It would be fun to have one like that at DCA or Disneyland. I am not sure that Soap Operas are really the best theme. I cannot say that dining in a hospital setting eating over priced food says "vacation" to me.

I DO believe that a fun interactive dining experience would be great for DCA. There is so many actor wannabes in Hollywood, that I am sure we could find some really great performers. In fact, I would really enjoy that over the Vineyard themed restaurant in DCA.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

My first trip to DCA was in 2006, so I missed this restaurant. Even though I don't watch soap operas I'd love to eat there - the themes for each room looks fun.

I miss the older more "adult" DCA!!! I had many great meals at the Soap Opera Bistro, but never really watched soap operas.

I also miss the Mondavi resturant at the vineyards, the Disney resturants there just don't measure up, and don't even get me started on the slop they serve at Ariels....
    MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• Defying gravity

I remember eating there in July 2001. My parents and I had a fun time. However, as with so many other things in DCA, it was gone by our next trip.....

• Sshhh, being very quiet

That was great to read. I never made it to the Soap Opera Bistro but my sister did and she got an All My Children mug for my mother (our mother has been watching All My Children for the past 32 years). I also have a Soap Opera Bistro pin though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast