View Poll Results: Space Mountain: Better old or new?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • The old version is way better!!!

24 30.00%
  • The New one rules!!!

44 55.00%
  • There about the same to me

12 15.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• [Explitive deleted]

The Old Space Mountain

I myself have only been on the new Space Mountain but what I do know is that the ride circled around a big soccer ball like sphere I was wondering if you all could tell me what the ride was like? and I also heard that the ride in Disney World was like the [new]Space Mountain from the Begining if anyone has any info feel free to post peace out!
    Last edited by Rube_Goldberg; 06-17-2007 at 05:31 PM.

• Koubu Pilot

Re: The Old Space Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Rube_Goldberg View Post
    I myself have only been on the new Space Mountain but what I do know is that the ride circled around a big soccer ball like sphere I was wondering if you all could tell me what the ride was like? and I also heard that the ride in Disney World was like the Space Mountain from the Begining if anyone has any info feel free to post peace out!
    You're thinking of the geodesic sphere that used to be where the meteor is now. Disney World's Space Mountain is the first one and is their Matterhorn. It's also the only Space Mountain to have two seperate tracks. The Space Mountain/Matterhorn connection continues since when the Matterhorn was remodeled in the late '70s (the ice cave networks you see now and our beloved Harold the Yeti), the original rockets from Florida were transplanted and remodeled into boblseds. Our Space Mountain was part of a spaceport concept Walt wanted to do, but didn't have the technology at the time. This project included Space Mountain, a space stage where the Magic Eye Theatre now resides (HISTA), Starcade, Space Place diner, and rerouting the People Mover to give you a glimpse of the Starcade's 2nd floor and Space Mountain. The old effects for Space had disco ball created stars and the asteroid projections were in fact Chocolate Chip cookies (moon made of cheese, Milky Way, and now chocolate chip cookies make outerspace quite a tasty place to be).

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    the asteroid projections were in fact Chocolate Chip cookies (moon made of cheese, Milky Way, and now chocolate chip cookies make outerspace quite a tasty place to be).
    I take it that those cookies were either fake or very, very, very, bad cookies

• Vehicle rotating backward

The old soccer ball wasn't much to look at. Kevin Yee's ancient Space Mountain page has a picture of it here. If you went to DL back in the day, it was easily visible from the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods platform. It was really the only thing you could see in there because it was so dark.

From a video I found online:

Lift tunnel #1. Where the mirrors and red day-glow stuff is now. A string of arrows light up on either side.

The two corners between lift hills. There wasn't much of anything here ever.

Lifthill 2, currently the spinning dizzy chamber. The camera in this shot is using nightvision with spoils the effect of a star pulsing at the top of the lift hill, which at one point seems to surround you on all sides. The cylinder, of course, is standard and is being used to new effect now. There's a small third lifthill right by the soccerball before the descending portion, but aside from the removal of the ball for the meteor, nothing new is happening there.

The one at WDW has always had the flashing blue lights bit currently in use at the corners between lift hills. It's also mechanically a very different roller coaster. You can see what it looks like with all the lights on here. There's some real head-chopper moments that were never at the DL one, and the new DL one is even more clean and free of decapitation worries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    The old soccer ball wasn't much to look at. Kevin Yee's ancient Space Mountain page has a picture of it here. If you went to DL back in the day, it was easily visible from the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods platform. It was really the only thing you could see in there because it was so dark.
    I don't understand how you could see the soccer ball from the PM platform, since it (the soccer ball) was enclosed inside Space Mountain. Or do you mean you could see the soccerball from the part of the PM track that goes through Space Mountain?

• Banned User

The old Space Mountain was infinitely better than the one we have now.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    The old Space Mountain was infinitely better than the one we have now.
    How was it better?

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    How was it better?
    It wasn't.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

The new Space mtn is far superior to the old. Is it just me, or are their people who are just purest-- anything new is bad. The ride is faster, darker and the music rocks. What's not to love? Ask anyone getting off the ride, and they'll tell you.

• Senior Minion

age before beauty
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

Los Angeles, California, United States, United States

The ride isn't any faster now than it was before.

If anything, it's slightly slower. This is from riding with the lights on pre-remodel, and then riding Rockin' Space Mountain (basically riding with the lights on) afterwards. I'd say the ride goes roughly 5-6 mph slower then before. Not like it matters when it's dark with the wind blowers on. The new Space Mountain is a huge improvement.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    How was it better?
    Space Mountain once had a more prominent entrance. It was right out in front where the entrance to HISTA is now. It wasn't tucked off to the side in an allyway. Everytime I go on Space Mountain I feel like I'm about to make a drug deal. I'm exaggerating to be funny of course, but I still prefer the old entrance.

There was an observation window that allowed you to look into the attraction. The neon rockets and the orange ball would be clearly visible and was an effective preshow. Now it's just a hot, cramped hallway.

The rockets aren't neon anymore.

I wouldn't say the new effects are bad. But it wasn't really an "upgrade". Most of these things were added not to make the experience better, but to cover up for the fact that Space Mountain's track needed to be rebuilt due to poor maintenance. It was just to give TDA something to market when it returned.

The current soundtrack isn't bad. This is the only new addition I would give thumbs up to.

Don't get me wrong. It isn't a bad ride now. It's just that on a personal level it went from being an A+ experience to a B. Your milage may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post

The two corners between lift hills. There wasn't much of anything here ever.
    You are wrong. There were what seemed to me like shooting stars and it went "whoosh". I don't know how to explain it. The effect was subtle and neat.

• Monorail Lover

i like the old one better because u couldnt see the track before so it was more of a suprise
    Signature down for reimagineering.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatekong View Post
    i like the old one better because u couldnt see the track before so it was more of a suprise
    I think you are confusing Space Mountain 2005 with Rockin' Space Mountain.

The current version of Space Mountain is actually darker than the 1977 version.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast