Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• -

Cool Re: June 22, 2007: Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NASAMan View Post
    SE - Is this your picture? Can I have permission to copy it for personal use (in an education powerpoint on weather)?
    Sure, I give permission. I ran it by the guy who took the picture...a CM buddy of mine I used to work with. Yes. Education is king!

I actually have this picture framed as an 8x10. What you're seeing is a scan of it. The framed version is really cool.

• SpitSpot!

Re: June 22, 2007: Parking Lot

I remember the gates to DL being so far away. Then, when it was time to go back to the hotel, the car being so hot! The pool always felt better afer being in the hot car. I like Mickey and Friends better.
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

One other plus about the old lot......

For a few years, in the early 90s, the annual pass included parking in the Donald section. That's correct, private parking right by the front gate.

Of course this was before the advent of cheap passes and there weren't hundreds of thousands of passholders.

I once had my car die, blocking an exit onto West St......in the pouring rain..and right at closing time. There was a one car space past the "spikes" and before the crosswalk. It died while I was waiting for the light. Within a couple minutes, a lot security vehicle arrived and called for help. It only took a minute or two for help to come. They pulled a large sheet of heavy plywood from behind the bushes and covered the spikes. Then we all pushed my car out of the way and back into the lot. After a few more minutes, a tow truck showed and it's driver managed to get my car started.

I was impressed how effecient they all were.....and in the pouring rain. They did a great job.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Good riddance, parking lot. Between trying to hitch a tram going this way and that, those extremely ugly electric towers, the heat off the asphalt in the summer, and the traffic nightmare that would happen when a significant amount of the lot emptied out into Harbor, I'm glad it's gone.

Of course, since they got rid of the parking lot I've been staying at hotels with their own shuttles, so I haven't needed to use it, but really now. This isn't Yester World, and they don't have a plot of land larger than some cities to work with. A multi-level garage is more practical, your memories be darned.

NASAman, you crystalized my thoughts a lot more clearly. Thanks! I think the reason we miss the old lot is not because of the way it was set up, but what it did for building excitement to enter the park. Another insight into that was we were told in training that we were the first point of contact for a lot of the guest coming to the park. It's not that the parking structure and tram ride up to the park is a bad one, its the execution of it and the way its handled, it's a boring loud tram ride through nothing worth seeing that builds little excitement. I think the West Side tram drop off area looks decently landscaped, though.

SystemError, I'm guessing your old-timer cast member friend (mine too, if it's the same person) is the old P2? Is he still at the park?

I miss being able to drop into the park for lunch. I used to work with a group of AP holders that would occasionally drive over to the park, leave the car in Bambi, grab a meal and maybe an attraction, and then head back to the office. We normally could be back at our desks in Irvine in about 90 minutes.
    That became impossible with a tram to wait for, and a walk from the tram that is further than the old "premium parking"
    I guess this just shows my age... oh well.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by darth muppet View Post
    SystemError, I'm guessing your old-timer cast member friend (mine too, if it's the same person) is the old P2? Is he still at the park?
    The real old timers Tony V -or- John E ... I was friends with both of them. I'm still in touch with Tony to this day. John E left in 95 or 96, I believe. And I don't know where John went but Tony is still there (paisano).

Were/are you a CM? Around when did you work there?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    One other plus about the old lot......

For a few years, in the early 90s, the annual pass included parking in the Donald section. That's correct, private parking right by the front gate.

Of course this was before the advent of cheap passes and there weren't hundreds of thousands of passholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizeras View Post
    ...and a walk from the tram that is further than the old "premium parking"
    I guess this just shows my age... oh well.
    Ah yes. It was called Preferred Parking. If it was available, we'd park you right up front. "That's right, sir/ma'am...park as close as you like!" A parking lot CM would put that stamped yellow tag on your windshield as you entered the toll plaza. Then we'd pull you out of regular traffic and let you drive right up to Bambi or Chip...right to the main gate.

Preferred Parking was eliminated around the time the SoCal $99 dollar pass was introduced.

• We Choose to Go!

Quote Originally Posted by System Error View Post
    Sure, I give permission. I ran it by the guy who took the picture...a CM buddy of mine I used to work with. Yes. Education is king!

I actually have this picture framed as an 8x10. What you're seeing is a scan of it. The framed version is really cool.
    Thanks SE! I'm sure to get an 'oooo' out of it!

And to those who are ragging us old timers about our reminisces, I don't recall hearing anybody say the lot should be put back. I don't remember the power poles, but in the photographs Werner has they look ugly as sin. But I saw utility poles everywhere so I don't have a memory in that specific spot. I don't remember hot seats in the car, but I'm sure they were. But seats always get hot, when going to the beach or parking at the movies, so again no specific memory there. Instead the memories that rise to the top are those of the magic that occurs when you arrive at a Disney park and let your self succumb to it. When you do, even a hot asphalt lot can make a magical memory.

Does anyone have magical memory about the Mickey and Friends lot they would like to share? (Note: No sarcasm, just really interested in any good stories!)

• Koubu Pilot

For those of us who didn't work there, it was that feeling you got when you drove into the lot and parked you car to go inside Disneyland. It was also something special to have the Monorail passing over and above the traffic.

cool article, i did find the section about the parking structure not being Disney at all hilarious. As if the old dry ugly suburban parking lot was Disney at all.

No wonder there are so many over weight people now-a-days, even the short walk from the parking spaces in the structure are criticized and the wait for the trams is usually a couple minutes.

After all there is always the nice landscape walkway that is a mere one mile to the parks but that woudl be too much excercise.

I do agree that being parked next to the theme par was special you could see the monorail passing overhead and gave a sense of excitement.

I also used to enjoy being able to go for lunch to the park. Just parked as close as possible and walked right into the gates had lunch rode an attrction and left.

• Hillary scares me.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    It completely changed the tone of Disneyland forever.
    What this boils down to: nostalgia.

What I've noticed in the "parking lot vs. DCA" debates is that the parking lot supporters are usually native Southern Californians that grew up with Disneyland. We're not parking lot disciples - it's just that DCA and Downtown Disney wasn't a good enough addition to forever change the tone of Disneyland beyond its gates. Nobody actually prefers a parking lot to a resort expansion.

If you didn't grow up with Disneyland, you'll never understand it.

•   
    • Ralzap

The Poster's on the Monorails suppoting beams welcomed you....
    PTC, or the Materhorn. That was what made the the tram ride your B-Ticket attraction.
    Ralzap

Quote Originally Posted by chrisaaron View Post
    What this boils down to: nostalgia.
    I think it is more than just nostalgia, although I know several people who have complained about the terrace parking for that reason.

The original Outer Lobby experience was just crafted more carefully than the 2001 expansion.

• Banned User

I grew up with Disneyland. (I am in my late 20s)
    My dad grew up with Disneyland. (born in '55)

Both he and I both agreed that this is what Universal had over Disneyland - a parking structure. They are more efficient. They USUALLY result in less walking.

Yes, it does boil down to nostalgia. But it also boils down to expansion and cash. And everyone can say everything they want to on the expansion, but it's all said and done. Over. Finished. Too late Charlie. S.O.L. Adios Amigos. Ciao. It was out of here!@!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast