Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

July 2, 2007: America on Parade

This week, I replaced the old Yesterland entry about America on Parade. The new Yesterland entry has 13 pictures.

America on Parade was Disney's parade for the American Bicentennial (July 4, 1976). The parade ran from June 14, 1975, through September 6, 1976.

Link to America on Parade at Yesterland.

Please discuss the parade and the article here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• SpitSpot!

Re: July 2, 2007: America on Parade

I remember that parade! Here is my link to those parade photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/120546806/

Thanks Werner!
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Senior Minion

Such timing, I was just thinking about this parade and wondered if you there would ever be an article on this. And here it is. I took some photos of my America's On Parade book made for WDW and DL. We were there for this and loved it. Of course I was only 5. This was my first visit to Disneyland.
    It has seen better days.

Thanks Werner. I love it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• -DL's VIP Entrance

Gads - I was 16 in 1976 and remember this parade quite well, a fun example of art direction that went in the wrong direction. Mary Blair was a past master of the big-headed mutant baby look and shows that you *can* get away with it. But even at the time, the America on Parade figures reminded me of those teary-eyed children on black velvet.

The Betsy Ross figure in the enormous chair reminded me of Lily Tomlin's "Edith Ann" character and 30 years later, it still makes me smile.

Many thanks Werner W.

• FastPass n00b

OMG, an actual Disney parade that has Western characters without Woody...say it isn't so! You mean to tell me that dolls and toys didn't have a place in our country's western expansion. Thank goodness.

Looks like an interesting parade, I love how American Disneyland was back then. There were so many flags and bunting just on the lamp posts. There's still plenty of flags on the Mark Twain and the entrance and Frontierland, but it'd be nice if Disneyland kept it up.

• FastPass n00b

These articles are always fascinating and amazing. I am so glad that Werner is with MiceAge and puts together these memories. It's more important now than ever to keep the old flame of Disneyland alive with stuff like this. These things always serve to remind us just how incredible Disneyland was decades ago, and how it can be that way again with some TLC and time.

• Banned User

Sadly, I wasn't born until October of 1976 but thanks to Super 8mm movies, photos and my America On Parade picture disc, I did get to see what this parade was all about. The music is unique with the combination of the Sadie Mae Organ and Moog sounds, plus this was the first Disney project Don Dorsey did before he updated the Main Street Electrical Parade's soundtrack in 1977. I would have loved to see this in person if the parade would have remained or had been updated.

I wasn't old enough (read: alive) to see this parade, but I do have a connection to it aside from a vintage t-shirt. A relative of mine was brought in to design this parade, and I have the style guide to prove it!

Well, it's around here somewhere. I'll post pics if it comes up.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Nametags worn by cast members during that time:

Disneyland

Walt Disney World

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    Such timing, I was just thinking about this parade and wondered if you there would ever be an article on this. And here it is. I took some photos of my America's On Parade book made for WDW and DL. We were there for this and loved it. Of course I was only 5. This was my first visit to Disneyland.
    It has seen better days.

I have the same brochure. I thought that the doll look was strange too. It was a fun parade to see. I felt that it was a little off for Disney standards. But for a special parade for the bicentennial, it was great.

I was at Disneyland a few times in 1976. The most memorable that year was July 4th! I thought that the most appropriate place to be at for the bicentennial was Disneyland. The fireworks that night were fantastic!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

A few people (including Werner and Al Lutz) have said that the People of America were creepy. I must offer a dissenting opinion. I remember the parade, and I liked the character's look, to me they were more whimsical and larger than life. I'm an artist and I can't imagine how they could have been improved. I think it's a bit strong to say that it's an example of art direction that went in the wrong direction. I respect your opinions, but I thoroughly enjoyed the parade and remember it fondly.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I was there and saw the parade too. Those big heads looked lifeless and I would imagine would be threatening to any tot. America gone "Stepford meets Talking Tina". America sure was "white" in that parade..
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Thanks a lot Werner, now I'm going to have nightmares!
    This is the sort of thing that would have terrified me as a kid. There's just something so 70's about the concept of giant doll-headed characters. I'm not sure what sort of memory I'm connecting it too, but there's something else there.

Anyone notice the 70's hairdos and sideburns on them too?

Thanks for the great pics. I remember going to that parade when I was 6. It really brought back memories. Thanks again

• Delawarean Girl

Great pics on this great classic 4th of July parade.

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    It has seen better days.

Awesome TicToc. I enjoyed seeing theses too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast