Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Swiss Family Robinson Tree house does anyone else miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    So I went to see Swiss Family Robinson at the Aero in Santa Monica tonight (7/14/07) and it got a good 2/3 theatre crowd, with lots of families with even really little kids. Great print, nice projection. And you know what? The kids sat still completely enraptured for the whole two hours and ten minutes. No talking, squawking, squirming or crying. They were really into the animals and the pirates and everybody still laughs in all the exact same places and Kevin Corcoran still clicks. It clearly differs from the DVD/TV experience - everyone is 100% tuned-in. Need relevant and compelling?... Still works. In fact, it played even better than last time I saw it in a theatre about seven years ago - and there were more kids in the audience. Too bad they don't still widely reissue and advertise these things because the best ones still work so well (especially with the pirate angle). Very reassuring to see.
    I think its soo wonderful they did this, its great that audiences can still enjoy old Disney classics like Swiss Family Robinson, you know its not really the fact that I mind Disney putting in new things in the park I just wish they would stop taking down or reusing old rides and attractions to do it. I can not even say how much I to hate having to re-live my favorite old rides though pictures alone.

• Missing DL like crazy

Miss it so much... was lucky enough to go last year to DW and see it again. It brought back so many memories. I wish they would bring it back to DL but it's not gonna happen. Not a lot of people remember the movie or have even seen it but it's one of my favorites.
    I've seen the cursed treasure and I know where it be hidden...

• Minion

>>Not a lot of people remember the movie or have even seen it but it's one of my favorites.<<

Blame the Eisner-era Walt Disney Company.

Swiss Family Robinson was one of Walt's biggest box-office hits and held strong in five theatrical reissues over several generations - - but the company decided to stop promoting it as a classic in the 80's and 90's (along with the rest of Walt's live action library), so younger audiences have not had the exposure, especially since the "Disney" went out of Disney Channel.

I saw it with an audience lately in Santa Monica and the film was enthusiastically received by all ages, same as ever.

• Missing DL like crazy

I would LOVE to see this in a movie theater! Does anyone know if there will be any other showings in southern cal.? I went to go see Gone With the Wind when they showed it in theaters awhile back and it was awesome... long... but awesome. I wish they would do this more with the classics instead of all the stupid teen and horror movies out nowadays.
    I've seen the cursed treasure and I know where it be hidden...

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    So I went to see Swiss Family Robinson at the Aero in Santa Monica tonight (7/14/07) and it got a good 2/3 theatre crowd, with lots of families with even really little kids. Great print, nice projection. And you know what? The kids sat still completely enraptured for the whole two hours and ten minutes. No talking, squawking, squirming or crying. They were really into the animals and the pirates and everybody still laughs in all the exact same places and Kevin Corcoran still clicks. It clearly differs from the DVD/TV experience - everyone is 100% tuned-in. Need relevant and compelling?... Still works. In fact, it played even better than last time I saw it in a theatre about seven years ago - and there were more kids in the audience. Too bad they don't still widely reissue and advertise these things because the best ones still work so well (especially with the pirate angle). Very reassuring to see.
    AGREE! I saw that movie at the Areo too. Nothing like a good revival house. and when Mrs. Robinson unravels her nylons in front of Dustin Hoffman all the kids are completely engaged, you could hear a pin drop.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Minion

>>and when Mrs. Robinson unravels her nylons in front of Dustin Hoffman all the kids are completely engaged, you could hear a pin drop.<<

It doesn't take an ivy league graduate to see how hot Dorothy McGuire is. Koo koo ka choo!

I supose we should count ourselves lucky that the Tree house wasn't given a "Robinsons" makeover when "Meet the Robinsons" came out this summer.

Though, I suppose it couldn't be that much worse than the Tarzan overlay. Might have at least made it slightly more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalUW View Post
    I supose we should count ourselves lucky that the Tree house wasn't given a "Robinsons" makeover when "Meet the Robinsons" came out this summer.

Though, I suppose it couldn't be that much worse than the Tarzan overlay. Might have at least made it slightly more interesting.
    lol very true but it would never work since its in the middle of Adventureland, I am thrilled that it was kept up in WDW though..I didn't even know that really until I looked up info on Adeventureland WDW I hope I can get to go there some time between the next year or two and check out things..I always love doing Disney trips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12