Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Swiss Family Robinson Tree house does anyone else miss it?

Like a lot of you lucky people... I don't have the pleasure of being very close to any Disney Parks let alone DLR but I was able to visit the park twice in a row for two years. (This year and last) But one of the things I just hate! About the changes in the park, is how they replaced one of my favorite attractions (The Swiss Family Robinson Tree house) now with some Tarzan themed tree house.
    I was just wondering if there were any other fans of the attraction and if you miss it just as much as I do. I think it will make me feel better to know I am not the only one that feels this way. Also if you happen to have any pictures I would personally love to see them.

• Minion

Re: Swiss Family Robinson Tree house does anyone else miss it?

I miss it everytime I'm at the park - - and even when I'm not!

Check out an article I wrote on Swiss Family Treehouse at the Re-Imagineering blog:

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/...-paradise.html

...also, if you do a search in the main Disneyland thread, you will find ample discussion on the topic and even a recent poll that shows a vast majority of posters preferring Swiss Family to Tarzan.

• Minion

Walt Disney's Swiss Family Robinson screening in Santa Monica next week for those who miss them at Disneyland:

http://www.americancinematheque.com/...ercalendar.htm

American Cinematheque at the Aero Theatre
    1328 Montana Avenue at 14th Street in Santa Monica

Saturday, July 14
    7:30 PM SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON & TREASURE ISLAND

• Banned User

No.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Walt Disney's Swiss Family Robinson screening in Santa Monica next week for those who miss them at Disneyland:

http://www.americancinematheque.com/...ercalendar.htm

American Cinematheque at the Aero Theatre
    1328 Montana Avenue at 14th Street in Santa Monica

Saturday, July 14
    7:30 PM SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON & TREASURE ISLAND
    Thats pretty cool! I wish I lived in CA lol too bad I am stuck in the midwest wouldn't be able to go see that if I wanted too!
    I just really hope that they keep some of the old stuff that Disneyland first had I mean they don't have The Country Bear Jamborie any more or 2000 Leagues under the sea, and probably a lot of other I can't think of. Its just kind of sad that the suff I used to grow up riding and enjoying as a kid I can only remember now through photographs. The only thing that saved Pirates was the fact they made a movie out of it. But they still even changed that now too!

Yep, I miss it. We still do Tarzan's every year, but I miss the old Swiss Family. It was so magical and cool to have all this stuff in a treehouse! And I love that it was based on an old Disney live action. And yes, I miss the music.

I hate how Disney keeps changing attractions to coordinate with newer stuff. Sure, it caters to a different audience, but not necessarily a larger one, you know? Some of us appreciate the classics.
    "All of our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."

-Walt Disney

• Banned User

I miss it. I love my DVD of the movie, though.

• Disneyland Fan

Yep, I miss Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. I was always facinated by the water wheel water works. Such a great system. It was just like the family had gone a picnic and we happened by while they were gone. I loved the way the parts of the wrecked ship were used to make the tree house. I wish they would bring it back, but I know better than to hold my breath.
    Last edited by Grumpy Pete; 07-08-2007 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Tink2002 View Post
    Yep, I miss it. We still do Tarzan's every year, but I miss the old Swiss Family. It was so magical and cool to have all this stuff in a treehouse! And I love that it was based on an old Disney live action. And yes, I miss the music.
    It was such an amazing place to walk though cuz it really did have the feel of somebody's real home! The fact that it was all real furniture and that it was left there in all the room nice and tidy just waiting for someone to come back home did really give it a magical feeling to it.
    Also the whole idea of entire family not only surviving on a deserted tropical island but being able to make it as modern as they did, and make it seem so totally doable as well, was just always very impressive to me.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Totally.........bring it back and get rid of that Tarzan overlay disaster.

• Minion

So I went to see Swiss Family Robinson at the Aero in Santa Monica tonight (7/14/07) and it got a good 2/3 theatre crowd, with lots of families with even really little kids. Great print, nice projection. And you know what? The kids sat still completely enraptured for the whole two hours and ten minutes. No talking, squawking, squirming or crying. They were really into the animals and the pirates and everybody still laughs in all the exact same places and Kevin Corcoran still clicks. It clearly differs from the DVD/TV experience - everyone is 100% tuned-in. Need relevant and compelling?... Still works. In fact, it played even better than last time I saw it in a theatre about seven years ago - and there were more kids in the audience. Too bad they don't still widely reissue and advertise these things because the best ones still work so well (especially with the pirate angle). Very reassuring to see.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Count me as another.

I've never seen the film, but that didn't make me not appreciate the treehouse...it had such an air of mystery and fun about it. A deserted home, so intricate and beautiful. I loved it, and I always went there for a visit when I went to Disneyland. I don't think I would have been able to imagine a trip there without visiting.

Now...it's definitely not the same feeling.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Too bad they don't still widely reissue and advertise these things because the best ones still work so well
    I agree wholeheartedly with you, merlinjones! Many of the Disney live-action pictures deserve to be seen in a theater again, even some of the lightweight comedies. Many of them are still as entertaining today as they were when we were kids, sometimes even moreso.

Maybe when digital cinema becomes more of the ubiquitous standard, Disney could consider reissuing some of their classic library to theaters, since the costs would be less than if they had to make thousands of new film prints and ship them. Plus, they'd potentially look as great as they did when they were new! Today's filmgoing audiences, particularly kids, deserve to see the same films we did, in the same kind of viewing environment we did.

Wink Re: Swiss Family Robinson Tree house does anyone else miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tink2002 View Post
    We have a family tradition of eating Mickey Mouse pancakes at the River Belle Terrace on the first morning of our annual Disneyland visits. Sitting on the patio overlooking the Rivers of America, it's just not the same without the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse music playing in the background. This year I was almost tempted to listen to the soundtrack on my ipod while I ate breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast