Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Re: July 13, 2007: Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through

Great pictures and report. We always liked going up and listening to the music. I remember reading in early 2000 that they might close it and that when you entered you needed to spin the entrance bar as though 10 or more people had come through. My son thought this was great fun to do so while we would look at the dioramas he would push the entrance bar around.

• Tourist

I always liked the castle walk-through. The displays were nice, but the best part was knowing that you were actually walking inside of the castle.

Even as a skinny kid, I thought the passageway was narrow. It would be a tight squeeze for me now.

• Minion

Anyone have pics of the 1957 version?

• Banned User

It's funny how they close attractions for unpopularity and then replace it (if they replace it at all) with something less popular.

I would bet anything that Pooh gets less riders per day than Country Bear Jamboree did.

The terrorism excuse is a joke. There are plenty of small enclosed places in Disneyland to cause trouble. And who is going to blow up Sleeping Beauty Castle? It's neither a government nor financial center.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Over the past year, I've received more e-mail about the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through than any other attraction. The usual message is along the lines of, "Why is it missing from Yesterland and when are you going to add it?"

I've finally added it.Please discuss the attraction and the article here.
    This was one attraction that I have enjoyed for many years, and that I shared with my children. My youngest,though, does not remember much about it so on our last visit we tried to get in only to be disappointed that it was closed. I sure hope that it will re-open since we can't be living in fear of what might happen.
    thanks for this site....I love it!

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Anyone have pics of the 1957 version?
    I was just going to post the same. Surely someone has pictures of the pre-1977 version. Those belong on the yesterland site (and on this thread ) as well!

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Excellent article as always, Werner! Thank you for the memories. Loved the pictures!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Asbestos has been used for a very long time as flame retardant, but inhalation of the chemical can cause many serious illnesses, including cancer.

In order to fix this problem, the Castle would have to undergo serious refurbishment. It would pretty much be in a bubble for a good while during the period that it would be fixed. There are companies that do this...my own house will have to undergo this fairly soon, actually. The Castle would definitely be a larger undertaking, but it could definitely be done, if those with the power cared enough.

And if they would go to the trouble to get rid of the asbestos, they would probably fix the space and maybe the handicapped issue as well.

Hmm...who has John Lassetter's number?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Katella Gate View Post
    1559 Werner? Perhaps you meant 1359? After all, (like the Prince says) it was the 14th Century.
    Thank you for catching that!

I was around in 1959, but I assure everyone I wasn't born yet it in 1559... or 1359.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by princedalton View Post
    He told me the main reason why it was shut down was because of asbestos.
    I don't doubt that a security guard said the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-Through was closed because of asbestos. However, I doubt that's the real reason why the attraction was closed in October 2001 and never reopened.

Unfortunately, some Disney cast members think they now more "secret inside information" than they really know. For example, I've heard some rather strange "facts" from WDW bus drivers who are trying to impress their passengers.

Absestos is hidden behind ceilings and walls in many structures that are in use today, including schools, office buildings, and hotels—and probably in some Disney attractions.

Abbestos becomes a big issue when the asbestos needs to disturbed, such as when a structure will be demolished or significantly changed. But it's generally not a problem when the asbestos is sealed behind plaster or concrete walls.
    Werner Weiss

• Inhospitable about happy

As for pictures of the original walk-thru, I too would LOVE to see some. As MerlinJones pointed out on the other Sleeping Beauty thread, there is one fine picture of Aurora asleep on her bed, from the original attraction, on the older View-Master reels of Fantasyland.

As recently as January of this year I was inside the castle. While there are reminants of the sets still there, they are all heavily gutted, and most bear little resemblance to what they used to look like. The stairs, paneling and such are still there, but many of the walls and other areas have been cut away for use of the laser show equipment, fireworks etc.

• Banned User

The asbestos scare is really overblown. Read the EPA's page on asbestos.

Short-term: Asbestos is not known to cause any health problems when people are exposed to it at levels above the MCL for relatively short periods of time.
    Walking through a structure that has asbestos isn't going to kill you, even if you inhale some of it. Many of the complications occurred in workers who inhaled the stuff over a lifetime, people involved in the direct production of it.

Like the Yesterland guy said, there is probably asbestos in many of the older Disneyland attractions you ride all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    There are companies that do this...my own house will have to undergo this fairly soon, actually.
    According to the EPA's web site: http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/ashome.html

What Should Be Done About Asbestos In The Home?
    If you think asbestos may be in your home, don't panic! Usually the best thing is to LEAVE asbestos material that is in good condition ALONE.

Generally, material in good condition will not release asbestos fibers. THERE IS NO DANGER unless fibers are released and inhaled into the lungs.
    So unless the kids are poking at it just leave it alone. This applies to the castle as well. But if the stuff does get disturbed and you inhale it, it isn't the end of the world.
    Most people exposed to small amounts of asbestos, as we all are in our daily lives, do not develop these health problems.
    Unless you've already got problems with your lungs it should not affect you. Obviously you know your situation better than I do but consider the EPA information before you make any decisions about the asbestos in your home.
    Last edited by SpokkerJones; 07-14-2007 at 07:11 PM.

• Minion

ORWEN: Oh, I just LOVED the Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-thru. Us Cauldron girls spent more time inside that castle than anywhere else whenever we went to Disneyland in the 80's and 90's--

ORGOCH: --Speak fer yerself, sister! I's a Tom Sawdust Island kind a gal, myself! Only wanna' go where the frogs is. Never had no use fer Snoozin' Floosie an' her lazy lifestyle--just sleepin' her prissy little life away...

ORDDU: I always enjoyed the walk-thru, too. On a hot, steamy day in the park, it was a relief to enter the cave-like coolness of the structure. But a witch has to ask if the real 'official' opening of the castle's walk-thru actually took place with a special ceremony in 1959 when the animated film premiered? I seem to recall reading in a book--some years ago--that Shirley Temple Black was there for the special event. To have opened the castle walk thru in 1957 would have been premature, since the Sleeping Beauty movie wasn't around just yet.

ORWEN: As for all this talk about abestos being a problem, I don't get it. I mean, my very own witch doctor just recently prescribed asbestos lined underwear for me--as a way of dealing with gas leaks that--

ORDDU: --Let's not go there, dear. The main point that 2 out of 3 witches would like to make is that we truly miss the castle walk thru and would love to see it restored. Since this is the year of a million dreams, why not add this wish to the list in the hopes that, someday, I'll be able to use the castle's dark corners, once again, for a rendezvous with various gorgeous men whom I happen to meet up with in the park...

ORGOCH: Hmph! Now ya all knows the REAL reason they went 'n closed down the Snoozin' Floosie walk-thru. It was bein' turned inta a 'cat house' all over agin--by my own trampy sister!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

There's been a lot of discussion in this thread about asbestos.

Please keep in mind that it really hasn't been established that Sleeping Beauty Castle has any sort of asbestos problem or that it even has any asbestos. One poster on this thread heard something from one security guard who heard it from... who heard it from... who heard it from... who heard it from...

The shop in base of the castle is open for business.
    Werner Weiss

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast