Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 3, 2007

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

August 3, 2007

This week, I've added The Power of BLAST! at Yester California Adventure.

Link to The Power of BLAST! at Yesterland.

Please discuss the article here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• SpitSpot!

Re: August 3, 2007

Interesting artical! I had no idea that Aladdin had been running so long. I have never been to the Hyperion - it is on my "to do" list the next time I am in LA.
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

After hearing good things about the Aladdin show, I'm looking forward to seeing it finally. Hopefully before they close it down.

• Defying gravity

Wow, I hated Power of Blast and Steps in Time so much. Thanks for reminding me how grateful I am that Aladdin, my favorite live stage show ever, is now in the Hyperion!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I wish I had gotten to see Blast! I have one of their musical numbers on a compilation CD, and I think I would have enjoyed them immensely.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• and too all a good fright

^^

Blast does have a DVD. Its not the Disney show, but a recording of the full broadway show taped for PBS.

http://www.bordersstores.com/search/...chType=Keyword

• Knows Where His Towel Is

Wow, I didn't know about this show. Thanks for telling me.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Rawr...

I think its funny how the article is about Blast!, but people just keep on talking about Aladdin...

I was lucky enough to see the full stage show when it came here to Denver, and I loved it. I never knew it was a show at the Hyperion, but it seems like they picked some great songs for the abbreviated version.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Wow, I hated Power of Blast and Steps in Time so much. Thanks for reminding me how grateful I am that Aladdin, my favorite live stage show ever, is now in the Hyperion!
    I think that BLAST was a very good show and a lot of fun, but it was not a Disney show. Aladdin is a Disney show and is also very good. It's not fair the compare the two in some ways.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511 View Post
    I think its funny how the article is about Blast!, but people just keep on talking about Aladdin...
    I know, especially since Aladdin is one of the most miserable shows Disney has ever produced. Boring, bad staging effects (except for the carpet, when it works), it doesn't make sense unless you're familiar with the movie. Really, it is terrible. The Genie can sometimes be funny, but I'm usually asleep by then. Jasmine sings a boring, miserable, long song to an empty birdcage while nothing happens. Aladdin and Jasmine get married for the BIG FINALE .... on a cardboard box with no backgrounds because they ran out of money apparently. There are three Aladdins running around the theatre simultaneously for no good reason. We have distracting wheelchair lady there to appease the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, when really, it does not fit the role. But who cares? Man I will be happy when Aladdin is in Yesterland.

But enough about how terrible Aladdin is, or how Anne Hamburger has no idea what makes a good show. Blast! was awesome. It was the best thing (so far) at the Hyperion. It was something you hadn't seen before on quite that scale. Watching those energetic, AMAZINGLY talented people play on stage... it really was a powerful show. And the performers were really, really cute (whom you got to chat with afterwards, extra bonus). After Aladdin, they don't even let you talk to the empty birdcage.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

There is a mistake in the "BLAST!" article. "Color Wheel" was never a part of the main act, although it may have been performed as part of the "pre-show" out in front of the theater. "Lemontech" should be inserted between the Battery Battle and Land of Make Believe (IIRC).
    Ethically reprehensible, yet fiscally sound.

• Master of Disaster

I miss the blast show. It was unique and different instead of the old rehashed disney stories were all used to. They really should change the shows there more often though.

• The Fantasyland guy

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Dick View Post
    There is a mistake in the "BLAST!" article. "Color Wheel" was never a part of the main act, although it may have been performed as part of the "pre-show" out in front of the theater. "Lemontech" should be inserted between the Battery Battle and Land of Make Believe (IIRC).
    I also remember Lemontech in place of Color Wheel.

I loved blast! Saw it over 25 times. (I have plenty of friends who love to brag that they saw it more times then I!)

I loved the smaller show better then the full show. I felt that the small 40 minute show progressed better then the full show. The First piece, Bolero, started with a smaller set, and it just got bigger and bigger with more of the set being shown and then by the final piece, one could really get a feeling about how much effort went into this show.

The show really hit it's stride when the touring cast came into town and we had the cast switching places with each other! Thats when I could go one day and see a different cast then the next! Truly amazing talent these young musicians had.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Dick View Post
    Comrade Dick,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Based on your note, I did some more research.

Yes, "Lemontech" was one of the segments of The Power of BLAST! at Disneyland.

According to a Disney press release, "Color Wheel" was one of the segments of The Power of BLAST! at Epcot.

I had originally assumed (incorrectly) that the both versions of The Power of BLAST! used the same music.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 08-03-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Werner, thanks for the terrific article about Blast! I loved this show and I love Aladdin too. It was not "Disney" but the production values and performances were top-notch.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I loved the smaller show better then the full show. I felt that the small 40 minute show progressed better then the full show. The First piece, Bolero, started with a smaller set, and it just got bigger and bigger with more of the set being shown and then by the final piece, one could really get a feeling about how much effort went into this show.
    TheDude, I totally agree! I saw the "full" Blast! concert show twice--once when the touring company was in town at the OC Performing Arts Center. Several of the musical numbers in the full show didn't do much for me. There was no arguing the musicianship and talent of the performers, but some of the songs were just "meh". However, all of my favorite numbers ended up in the version at DCA. Bolero always left me with chills and Lemontech and Battery Battle were great crowd pleasers. I still get a silly smile on my face thinking about the flags being tossed during Lemontech. I loved the theatricality and precision of it all. The group certainly made many fans during their run in the Hyperion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast