• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

August 17, 2007: Dixieland Band Stand

This week, Yesterland is going back to the 1950s. There was a bandstand right on the Rivers of America waterfront in Frontierland. Guests could enjoy live Dixieland jazz, as the Mark Twain and other river traffic passed by behind the bandstand.

Link to Dixieland Band Stand at Yesterland.

Please discuss the Dixieland Band Stand (and other live music at Disneyland) here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Santa Barbara, CA

Re: August 17, 2007: Dixieland Band Stand

I recall "Magnolia Gardens" being a name for this area at one time.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Wow! I always wondered what this structure was. A while ago I came across an old black and white photo that my parents had that they snapped from Disneyland many years ago. It was a view of this from Tom Sawyer Islnad. Now I know what it is!

• Mousketeer

Could the current bandstand be this same one "recycled" they seem very similar in the design, especially of the roof. Disney frequently recycles buildings, such as the original hubs bandstand, and the ticketbook buildings.

Any thoughts?

I remember these bands.......My Dad was a fan of Dixieland jazz.....and he'd take me to some of the local events......including at Disneyland. A few random thoughts......

The Strawhatters were usually made up from members of the Disneyland Band....filling in their hours during the days and evenings.

Teddy Buckner...and his band....were the house band at the French Market from 1965 to 1981. Buckner had come up playing in Kid Orys band among others and was widely known in the Dixieland community. Most of the band had been playing since the 1930s and were incredible. They also made a number of movie appearances ...such as Four For Texas with Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin.

The other "regular" band was the Firehouse Five Plus Two. This was a group made of Disney Studio employees and recorded a few very well received albums. They seemed to play on busy evenings in the park.....In front of the Frontierland Station...or the bandstand.... and inside the Golden Horseshoe in later years. A few of their members....like Ward Kimball on trombone...were important in developing Disneyland.

• A runaway brain

Thanks, Geezer, though I never participate here, I also dropped by to mention the GREAT Teddy Buckner, one of the finest Armstrong-legacy trumpet players who ever lived.

The man was a legend and -- in the days when Disneyland management understood more than just rides and overpriced fast food -- he was only one (brilliant) portion of the extraordinary musical wealth that existed in the park, particularly during the summer.

I'll never forget a "Disneyland and All That Jazz" promotion in the mid-70s when, for several nights, the Golden Horseshoe
    featured jazz giants Earl "Fatha" Hines, Trummy Young, and Marshall Royal. Simply incredible!! And on the other side of the park, the Bob Crosby band and Dizzy Gillespie were appearing (not together, of course)!! It's hard to believe those days ever happened.

PS -- Buckner is also featured in the opening of the film, "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte."
    Last edited by Bob Lindstrom; 08-17-2007 at 08:22 AM.

• just the beernecessities

Back when Disneyland was a venue for many outstanding jazz bands on a regular basis, my Dad and I would go to the park frequently to see some of the greats. I wish that DL would return to this tradition, but the fireworks/Fantasmic mele' seems to have taken over evenings at DL. They still have a jazz Band play at the Carnation Gardens (or whatever they call it now), on Saturday's somtimes. Its fun to stop and listen and watch the jidderbuggers dance and just hang out. Maybe after the crowds leave at 10 pm they could stike up the band and open a bar! That would be cool.
    Hello everyone!

• Senior Minion

I would love to see more of this around Disneyland. The Dixieland music was one thing that was one element that brought so much ambiance to the Frontierland, NOS sections of the park.
    The Disneyland Dixieland collection that is on Itunes is really good if anybody would like to acquire it.
    Thanks Werner, I enjoyed reading about this.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by TicTocDragon View Post
    I would love to see more of this around Disneyland. The Dixieland music was one thing that was one element that brought so much ambiance to the Frontierland, NOS sections of the park.
    The Disneyland Dixieland collection that is on Itunes is really good if anybody would like to acquire it.
    Thanks Werner, I enjoyed reading about this.
    I totally agree! It's such a small thing, but it makes a HUGE difference when it's set in the middle of New Orleans Square. It probably doesn't cost that much and it's the best "bang for the buck" Disneyland will ever get out of entertainment. Executives that intuitively realize what creates Disneyland's atmosphere would know that Dixieland music in New Orleans Square is much, much more effective than even a multi-million dollar promotion like Dreams. It doesn't make sense logically, but that's why Disneyland needs to be run by Disneyland people instead of Disney people who analyze bar charts.

And excellent find, as usual, Werner. I had no idea there was even a New Orleans Street, let alone a bandstand sticking out into the Rivers of America. Every Yesterland article I learn something new.

• Sarcastic Enthusiast

Wow, how educational. I had no idea something like this existed... or at least USED to exist
    MagicalTrash.com - Documenting the trash cans of Disney theme parks and resorts

I am too young to remember the Dixieland Band Stand, but it was listening to a dixieland version of Putting On The Ritz while eating lunch at the French Market that inspired me to learn how to play the trumpet.

All roads lead back to Disneyland!

I love the picture of the kids sitting on the steps of the band stand. Classic!