Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Ranger

Re: August 24, 2007: Epcot's Icon Tower at Spaceship Earth

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I'm not a fan of those "tombstones" either.

I think they were a mistake. The postage stamp-sized images were too small, and Disney was way too optimistic about how many people would want to buy such a "Leave a Legacy." There's a lot of unsold "real estate" on those monument walls. And the "Leave a Legacy" monuments don't make a particularly inviting entrance to Epcot.

But now there's an obligation to the many people who spent money for "Leave a Legacy" images, and who expect to find them at the entrance to Epcot for many years to come.

At least the "Leave a Legacy" walls have a sweeping, sculptural design. They're not simple, uniform, flat walls. If it's any consolation, they could have been much worse.

In post #11 of another MiceChat thread, Nov. 17, 2006: Not-So-Temporary Epcot Hand & Wand, MickeyMania wrote, "People also seem to forget that it's the final Disney work of John Hench, who pretty much designed Future World. It's probably not the best requiem to his WDI career, but it ought to make people stop before they open their mouths and say LaL is 'ruining Future World' in the same way the tacky wand does."

Unfortunately, designers have to do what the people who control the purse strings ask them to do. There were probably specifications for the number of square feet of wall space required by the business plan, so it became a matter of designing the best possible solution to comply with the business plan.
    OK Werner, all of the points are well taken. The people that bought the "Leave A Legacy" deserve to have the tombstones remain. I guess it's too much to ask for Disney to buy all of these folks out.

Obviously, I am too much of a purist. I remember the first time I went to EPCOT shortly after opening, and that ambient music was playing over this beautifully conceived courtyard with Spaceship Earth rising majestically over the whole scene. Magic was indeed at hand.

Since that landscape is something we will never see again, maybe we can utilize the remaining real-estate to hang the suits who thought these monstrosities up in effigy.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Does this mean there will be Yesterland articles about Epcot now as well? You know, like for Journey Into Imagination or Horizons?
    Yes. I plan to keep my eyes open for pictures of retired attractions, shows, parades, restaurants and other features of the Walt Disney World parks and resorts. With weekly updates to my website, I want to (and need to) broaden Yesterland's content. I plan to slowly add "Yester World" attractions to Yesterland. "Yester World" will probably never be as comprehensive as the Disneyland content at Yesterland.

Does anyone on this forum want to provide any vintage photos of WDW that were taken by themselves or their family? Getting historic photos is always the biggest challenge.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Santa Barbara, CA

That Siemens logo is arguably the largest and most blatant sponsor logo (even it if it momentary) ever in the parks. There was a time when they would have not allowed such a logo at that scale, especially on a park icon.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Yes. I plan to keep my eyes open for pictures of retired attractions, shows, parades, restaurants and other features of the Walt Disney World parks and resorts. With weekly updates to my website, I want to (and need to) broaden Yesterland's content. I plan to slowly add "Yester World" attractions to Yesterland. "Yester World" will probably never be as comprehensive as the Disneyland content at Yesterland.

Does anyone on this forum want to provide any vintage photos of WDW that were taken by themselves or their family? Getting historic photos is always the biggest challenge.
    This is Excellent news Werner, I'll be glad to offer up whatever photos I have taken of any extinct attractions. I've been a fan of Yesterland since 1996 or so when shortly after my first trip to WDW (though I gre up near Disneyland we moved away in 1981) I was watching a show (I think it was called the Site or something like that) on MSNBC and they mentioned Yesterland, I had a couple of buddies that had computers at that point but had not spent any serious time on the web myself, I made a point of getting to the web acess I learned about at our public library shortly there after and have been a Disney Internet junkie ever since.
    I'll add more details in another thread

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...51#post2093951

• I was deleted.

Great article! It was great to see Spaceship Earth wandless for the first time in too long this past week. I can't wait to see it when the tarps and everything else comes down too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12