Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: August 31, 2007: Rocket Rods

I had more fun driving down I-5 than riding on this turkey (the long wait only made it more insulting!)
    The Mur

I loved Rocket Rods.

I must have ridden it 25-30 times (mostly single rider) it gave such a cool kinetic moving energy to Tomorrowland.

I know everyone here is gonna jump on the "Good Riddance" bandwagon, I would expect nothing less from MiceChat, but it was a cool attraction that had a lot of potential that unfortunately due to being introduced during the Pressler era, and being short changed due to delays on Test Track at Epcot, never saw its full potential.

RIP Rocket Rods!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

Yea, I'm not alone! I liked Rocket Rods. Zooming through Tomorrowland with the buzz of the cars was a lot of fun. Yes, the execution left a little to be desired -- couldn't they make the tunnels look like something other than, well, tunnels?

I thought the use of Circlevision and the old lobby was great. Too bad you got stuck in there for an hour. A good idea with a bad execution. I'd would have much rather seen Innovations leave first.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

The initial idea for the attraction was great, but with budget cuts, the finished product was...IMO, less than desirable.

I went on them once, and I waited in a 75 minute line I believe. Before I got to ride, I had seen them being tested on the track the previous Spring, and I had been so excited. But after that very long wait, and everything else...boy was I bummed.

When a replacement finally goes up, I hope it will be a casual and relaxing tour of Tomorrowland again...that's really the purpose of the tracks in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    It was the "Viewliner" of it's era. Good riddance.
    Absolutely not. The Viewliner wasn't ever popular. If anything, the Rods were the "Flying Saucers" of it's era. They were both incredibly popular attractions with guests (I know most of you hate them, but they remained *VERY* popular through their entire existence) and both suffered from technical issues that led to their quick demise.

The Rod's story is little sadder... since it's technical issues were solely due from the ridiculous budget cuts after construction had already begun. If the tracks had been banked, the attraction would still be running today. And probably still have 90 minute lines.

Considering the budget cuts, (supposedly $35-45 million cut in the middle of construction) I'm actually stunned that they managed to open anything up there AT ALL using the finicky Test Track system. That 'whine' people complained about... well it was only because of the vehicles would constantly slow down and speed up (listen next time you go on Test Track, pay attention to the 'dark ride' portion where it speeds up and slows down. Yup... remind you of the Rods? On "Journey to the Center of the Earth" at Tokyo DisneySea it's 'test track' system whines too... but being third gen... it's a bit softer and also masked with sound effects.)

The effect rooms were, of course, ludicrous... (oh and Cherny, it was actually the 'oh! youíre going to crash! mirror effectí from Test Track above Star Tours, followed by the 'blinky lights' passing through Space Mountain, then of course the weird blast of air passing through nothing). The obvious lack of care & budget that went into these Ďscenesí almost seemed as if it was a politically motivated inside joke that they hoped the hardcore fans would get. Regardless if that's true, what is true is fans, media, and pop culture attacked Disney's management... largely aided by that whole Roy Disney thing. There was quite a tremendous petitioning for change at Disney, and it was certainly real, and it worked. A new day had arrived, and Disneyland was seeing paint again. The ďEĒ was gone, Pressler was out, and real changes started to be made. And now, looks like the best is yet to come.

There will most certainly be another attraction built on those tracks. My bet on an opening is 2011 (you can hold me to it) since they're up to their noses on the whole DCA thing. But it's coming, and it should be cool. Just as there's no chance the Rods would (or could... seeing as theyíve all been scrapped for parts) come back in their previous form, the PeopleMover won't be coming back either. The next thing going up there will need to use the existing 'test track' infrastructure, and I canít see them not wanting to take advantage of that. The 'test track' system is certainly capable of a 'crawl' mode... but I think thatís just a tremendous waste of potential... and I'd hate to see Disney go backwards with future attractions purely for nostalgic reasons. Iíd expect a high-speed attraction with properly banked turns. And.... (gasp, you might want to sit down) actual show scenes to pass through in the buildings.

You can't please everyone, but I think it could be really cool if done RIGHT. I know people want their 13 minute tour back, but hey.... at least that's one reason to go to Magic Kingdom in Florida, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dante101 View Post
    I don't think the track could have taken it.

I remember at the Tomorrowland monorail station watching the monorail beam shaking back and forth whenever a rocket rod went by. And the rocket rod track, itself, would shake a lot. Always made me wonder how long the infastructure would last, as it certainly wasn't built with the idea of supporting a fast-moving thrill ride.

I remember them adding the new trackwork and all, but I don't recall ever seeing any work done to brace the support pylons of the old peoplemover trackway...
    I don't think the track would've lasted very long with the how they ended up operating the Rocket Rods, but there's no reason to think that a high speed attraction with properly banked turns would cause that much more wear & tear then the heavy PeopleMover cars (with much heavier loads due to capacity) caused every day with those GoodYear tires grinding them along. Done right, the new track would've certainly needed less maintenance then when it had the tire-based PeopleMover up there.

Unfortunately, the end result of Disney of operating the Rocket Rods half-assed like they did on those tracks for years on-end did... in fact.. cause some major stresses to develop. The fact that they've repaired much of the indoor sections (during the Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear construction) is a start.. but there will likely be some re-enforcement added in the outdoor places, with the part of the track that leaves and returns to the station (those quick hairpin turns at the entrance to Tomorrowland) being completely torn down and rebuilt.

• back in Austin

^ yeah, I wonder if they're not shooting themselves in the feet by trying to stay backwards-compatible with that track. But whether they keep the track or not, I vote for a slower ride rather than a faster one. I'm not saying it should be as slow as the PeopleMover was, but I'd like to be able to enjoy the view.

Even more important than the speed of the ride is its relevance. If the imagineers could come up with something that would inspire city planners and help address urban transit problems, it would be an exciting ride even if it were a slow one.

• Lifelong Disneylander

Talking Re: August 31, 2007: Rocket Rods

If this thread isn't enough to show the powers-that-be to bring back the PM even in the way that they were originally were, than I don't know that else to say. Just bring them back! And, while you're at it, bring back the Rocket Jets where they're supposed to be. On TOP of those elevators! My goodness! My BEST memories of my youth were going UP those elevators. Please, seek some context to the attractions that you're presenting! Sometimes, you just don't need to mess with what's worked before. No matter how clever you may think change would make a difference. Ahhhh.....I still love DLR!

I actually rode this lame ride once i remembered also there was a map and at some point they wanted it to go to the pond to transport people to the Ducks Hockey game, we waiting forever and when i got off i could not believe how bad it was.
    AND TO THINK IT ALL STARTED WITH A MOUSE

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I haven't actually ridden this ride, but I do wish that I could've taken a spin on it, whatever else it was it certainly was unique.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by RenMan View Post

Even more important than the speed of the ride is its relevance. If the imagineers could come up with something that would inspire city planners and help address urban transit problems, it would be an exciting ride even if it were a slow one.

And it would really fit in with the theme of Tomorrowland, and make Walt proud.

The problem with the Rocket Rods and all new attractions in Tomorrowland (and Disneyland as a greater whole) including the new Submarines is that what Walt did better then anyone who is on staff as an Imagineer or management (Tony Baxter) today was that his attractions used a backdrop (submarine, turning building, etc) as the motion to show the future. The uniqueness of the Carousel of Progress wasnít the puppets, but the vehicle (the turning building) which created the backdrop for the attraction. This doesnít exist anymore and I donít believe even Lasseter gets this. Itís not about the ride; the Peoplemover was a unique set of trains that allowed you to see the future of transportation in an Epcot type world that was what the ride was about. His attractions were based on Worlds Fair exhibitions, in that the Peoplepower while showing unique transportation simply used Tomorrowland as its map to navigate, it could have been anywhere.

Replacing the rides isnít what itís about, what needs to go on the tracks (or maybe the tracks are not Tomorrow enough for today) is a transportation system of the future. Information is the future... or what about a way to show the future without oil, as this will surely be something that will run out. Point is come up with something of the future to represent transportation on a road, a rail on or on the information superhighway, and not Finding Nemo swimming in Space Mountain.

I personally have never like the "new" Tomorrowland. The old one was much better including the more "spaceage" like decor instead of the "neo-carnival" decor of today. I liked the rockets up on top of the People Mover plaza too. And I'd rather have the Rocket to the Moon ride there along with the rocket than the pizza restaurant.
    At least the subs are back in the lagoon instead of the water being a reminder of what once was. I can actually remember being at Disneyland back in the 60's and there being live mermaids sitting on the little island in the lagoon, swimming around and waving at the crowd.
    I know tearing down the People Mover track would be costly, time consuming and a major hassle, but the track is truly a reminder of a past only some of us can recall. Tomorrowland between '67 and '98 was much better.
    Of course I'm an old fuddy-duddy. I even miss Fort Wilderness when it was in it's hay-day and you could climb to the top of the look-out towers, find an unmanned gun, aim it, pull the trigger and could feel an actual "kick" as you fired it.
    Have I dated myself? Probably, I first went to Disneyland in 1960 when I was 9 years old.

Wink Re: August 31, 2007: Rocket Rods

Welcome to "miceage",a site I'm most grateful to know about! I was keeping up with "mouseplanet" and they lack very many details and juicy updates!
    Anyway,well,yes about rocket rods! It was awesome! To some or many who did not know of the single rider deal,which you'd get when nearly entering the building or simply walking up and asking,the ride may have been disapointing! To me it was awesome! It was futuristic! At least the look! I remember underground an illuminated sign of where the rocket rods would travel in the future but never became a reality! It was a good ride but yes,it needed banks on those turns and I can remember once waiting in line and it did break down! I would bring my family and since we all wanted to ride together,just get a soda and snack and wait the wait!
    But it proved to be most awesome during the absence of my spouse who became unfaithful! There was much grief and pain and being blasted over tommorrowland at 35mph with all the cool sounds was beautiful! So good indeed that I went to disneyland 3 times in one week just to ride the rocket rods! I liked how it lifted up slightly in front and the front seat had the best view! Everything flying at you! If you ever rode it in the rain,well,it hurt! The rain would beat on your forehead and I was surprised it was even running in the rain but at least I think it served a purpose,to at least help me cope with lifes' trials and tribulations! Also helpful to me at the those grieving times was the disneyland railroad! I just liked talking to the engineers and going where it said" do not enter" on main.st and standing next to the firebreathing trains and feeling its' power! Sometimes the engineers would let you up on the locomotives before they resumed tender rides! Surely,it is a glorious piece of machinery that can't stop on a dime so that is how I faced my trials,directly! My car has red hub caps,"disneyland railroad" labeled on the sides,a red glowing light at night for the fire ,bells and whistles,also tinkerbell on the rightside on vinal stickers printed with ink! Also a very unique light show inside ,inspired by disney,with soundtracks to many dsineyland atractions,even a fog machine that brings the imagination to life! Cool,huh? It took a lot of dreaming and believing! Also there is projected images recorded to vhs and burned to dvd of disneyland so you have a vision of the park,its' sounds,and the lights with more strobes than any emergency vehicle you can think of! But not as many as during fantasmic at the finale before the mark twain makes its' appearance!
    Well some of the new up dates say there will be another people mover! What a total snore! I would like it to move fast and have much interacting or futuristic designs but we'll have to wait and see! Thanks!07
    **********believe07**************

Wink Re: August 31, 2007: Rocket Rods

Welcome to "miceage",a site I'm most grateful to know about! I was keeping up with "mouseplanet" and they lack very many details and juicy updates!
    Anyway,well,yes about rocket rods! It was awesome! To some or many who did not know of the single rider deal,which you'd get when nearly entering the building or simply walking up and asking,the ride may have been disapointing! To me it was awesome! It was futuristic! At least the look! I remember underground an illuminated sign of where the rocket rods would travel in the future but never became a reality! It was a good ride but yes,it needed banks on those turns and I can remember once waiting in line and it did break down! I would bring my family and since we all wanted to ride together,just get a soda and snack and wait the wait!
    But it proved to be most awesome during the absence of my spouse who became unfaithful! There was much grief and pain and being blasted over tommorrowland at 35mph with all the cool sounds was beautiful! So good indeed that I went to disneyland 3 times in one week just to ride the rocket rods! I liked how it lifted up slightly in front and the front seat had the best view! Everything flying at you! If you ever rode it in the rain,well,it hurt! The rain would beat on your forehead and I was surprised it was even running in the rain but at least I think it served a purpose,to at least help me cope with lifes' trials and tribulations! Also helpful to me at the those grieving times was the disneyland railroad! I just liked talking to the engineers and going where it said" do not enter" on main.st and standing next to the firebreathing trains and feeling its' power! Sometimes the engineers would let you up on the locomotives before they resumed tender rides! Surely,it is a glorious piece of machinery that can't stop on a dime so that is how I faced my trials,directly! My car has red hub caps,"disneyland railroad" labeled on the sides,a red glowing light at night for the fire ,bells and whistles,also tinkerbell on the rightside on vinal stickers printed with ink! Also a very unique light show inside ,inspired by disney,with soundtracks to many dsineyland atractions,even a fog machine that brings the imagination to life! Cool,huh? It took a lot of dreaming and believing! Also there is projected images recorded to vhs and burned to dvd of disneyland so you have a vision of the park,its' sounds,and the lights with more strobes than any emergency vehicle you can think of! But not as many as during fantasmic at the finale before the mark twain makes its' appearance!
    Well some of the new up dates say there will be another people mover! What a total snore! I would like it to move fast and have much interacting or futuristic designs but we'll have to wait and see! Thanks!07
    **********believe07**************

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast