Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Layabout

Re: September 14, 2007: Dressing for Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by MotherPenguin View Post
    I think the difference in the way people dress now reflects a general decline in courtesy over the same period of time. People now are less concerned about how they appear to others because they really don't care about anyone but themselves.
    I'm guilty of being a sloppy dresser, but I wouldn't say its due to a lack of courtesy. I don't think its discourteous when I fail to dress up.

I've always thought that people who make such a big deal about dressing up in public did so in order for people to think they were doing well financially, or that they were "high class." I always viewed it as a form of showing off.

Honestly, can't you make the "they really don't care about anyone but themselves" judgement in both instances? Aren't people who dress up basically saying, "hey everyone - look at me"?

Mind you, I don't think people should walk around Disney in their underwear or pajamas (or clothes that are dirty or smelly) - but I see nothing wrong in what people wear to the Parks these days...

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante101 View Post
    I'm guilty of being a sloppy dresser, but I wouldn't say its due to a lack of courtesy. I don't think its discourteous when I fail to dress up.

I've always thought that people who make such a big deal about dressing up in public did so in order for people to think they were doing well financially, or that they were "high class." I always viewed it as a form of showing off.

Honestly, can't you make the "they really don't care about anyone but themselves" judgement in both instances? Aren't people who dress up basically saying, "hey everyone - look at me"?

Mind you, I don't think people should walk around Disney in their underwear or pajamas (or clothes that are dirty or smelly) - but I see nothing wrong in what people wear to the Parks these days...
    I don't think it's discourteous either. But what I don't understand is, and I don't mean this to you personally, but when you're standing in front of your closet in the morning, why pick the bright red one-size-fits-all T-shirt with too-tight capris and flip flops when it is just as easy to put on something nice?

I just don't understand this culture. Plastic surgery, people stand in line for, but leather shoes we abhor. People are vain enough to have the fat sucked out of their stomachs in life-threatening procedures that cost thousands of dollars, but then they go out and buy a pair of bright orange Crocs. What is that all about?

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I don't think it's discourteous either. But what I don't understand is, and I don't mean this to you personally, but when you're standing in front of your closet in the morning, why pick the bright red one-size-fits-all T-shirt with too-tight capris and flip flops when it is just as easy to put on something nice?

I just don't understand this culture. Plastic surgery, people stand in line for, but leather shoes we abhor. People are vain enough to have the fat sucked out of their stomachs in life-threatening procedures that cost thousands of dollars, but then they go out and buy a pair of bright orange Crocs. What is that all about?
    i wear crocs everyday...but i also wear polos and tailored pants...

i don't think crocs are the low of low, you need to look at the site before you make judgements about the company

do either of those look low class?

but anyway, off my soap box. it is sad that people don't wear dresses and slacks everyday, but i don't think it is a reflection of not caring. i think it is just people now no there are more importiant things in life then wearing nice clothes everyday. i for one can not afford the warbrobe it would take to dress like they did everyday.

bills, or nice clothes?

i think i'll pay my bills, thank you.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Great article, and I do agree with you Werner, we've lost something along the way. When I was really little we always bought a cute new outfit to wear to Disneyland. This was the late 60's when we went once a year. As an adult, I certainly like to be comfortable at the park, but I also don't want to look like I just came from a garage sale. I think I would've liked living in a time where people enjoyed dressing up a little at Disneyland. (They also had much nicer manners in those days) I'm guessing that since Disneyland was such a "special occasion" thing (unlike a daily AP thing) people took more pride in their dress there.

Regarding the thinner people - darn right! Those people didn't have the super-sized portions that we do now. I'm still trying to train my brain back into accepting the portions I need as opposed to the portions I want!

Thanks for another enjoyable article Werner.
    Last edited by Neverlandtink; 09-14-2007 at 03:37 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post

do either of those look low class?
    Personally, I think they look silly. But fashion is about wearing what you enjoy, and if people enjoy being comfortable, good stuff.

• Sock Puppet

I love Yesterland, but this is one of the worst things I have ever read on any Disney site. You mean your enjoyment of the park is actually less because other guests don't wear their Sunday best? You mean you should go to a theme park in dresses, suits, and top hats?

I'm sorry, but the way most people dress in the parks is just fine. All I see in this article and the replies to this thread is pointless elitism.

I guess since Disneyland isn't closing as many attractions as they used to, Werner is really hurting for some material.
    Quote Originally Posted by MotherPenguin View Post
    I think the difference in the way people dress now reflects a general decline in courtesy over the same period of time. People now are less concerned about how they appear to others because they really don't care about anyone but themselves.
    This just boggles my mind. People are way more courteous now in this day and age than any other. People are more well-mannered than ever. People hold open doors for eachother, apologize at the drop of a hat, and generally don't want to get in anybody's way. To say that because we don't dress up in petticoats and khakis to see Disneyland is a decline in courtesy is absurd.
    I think it's a sign of respect to dress appropriately for whatever occasion and place you find yourself. Nobody wants to see someone in their rattiest sweat pants and the vulgar t-shirt that they thought was so funny the last time they were at the mall. But that's what you get no matter where you are, Disneyland, airports, the grocery store.
    Most people don't go out in their rattiest sweat pants and vulgar t-shirts. I think I've seen one vulgar t-shirt at Disneyland in my numerous trips to the park this year. It happens.

However, the vast majority of the people there are dressed appropriately for a theme park. We didn't "lose" anything. This article is nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    People, in general, DON'T stand in line for plastic surgery. They don't get the fat sucked out of them. Who are all these people getting plastic surgery but wearing sweat pants to the park? The people getting plastic surgery are probably ones who do dress up for the park.
    Last edited by Acetone; 09-14-2007 at 08:16 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    I love Yesterland, but this is one of the worst things I have ever read on any Disney site. You mean your enjoyment of the park is actually less because other guests don't wear their Sunday best? You mean you should go to a theme park in dresses, suits, and top hats?

I'm sorry, but the way most people dress in the parks is just fine. All I see in this article and the replies to this thread is pointless elitism.

I guess since Disneyland isn't closing as many attractions as they used to, Werner is really hurting for some material.
    Dear Acetone,

Is it really "one of the worst things [you] have ever read on any Disney site" because of the final paragraph of a short photo essay?

The final paragraph was:

It makes sense to dress comfortably—tee-shirt, shorts, sneakers—for a day at a Disney park, as most of us do today. But we’ve also lost something along the way.

I even acknowledged that the way that people dress today makes sense!

The interesting thing is that people in the 1950s weren't wearing "their Sunday best." Leisure attire was different then. And it's fun to look back at it. The fact is that the guests are part of the show, whether they know it or not. In that way, the show was different a half century ago.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Sock Puppet

I think I'm more surprised at the replies to this thread than your article to be honest, so I apologize if I exaggerated. People tend to look at the past, especially at Disneyland, with rose colored glasses. Not everyone was more well-behaved back then, and it is genuinely upsetting when people look at today's society with such disdain, and then turn around and say, "Those were the days."

I wonder how many of those nicely dressed people on opening day got in with counterfeit tickets. I wonder how many of these fashion-minded guests disliked blacks and gays and Jews. You mean nobody ever got into an argument or went to blows back then? The world in 1950s wasn't all peaches and cream. Sorry, you are delusional if you think so.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandasDad View Post
    I like dressing well for Disneyland. For one like me who goes infrequently, it makes it all the more special.

We dressed to the nines for dinner at Club 33 for my birthday. We go a lot of approving looks on the way there and the matre d' thanked us for "dressing for dinner".
    In a similar vein, I tend to get a lot of questions from visitors assuming I'm a manager. I frequently go to DL/DCA after my in-the-meantime-job, where I wear business professional but NO tie.

But it's so out of the visitor norm that I guess I look official. Which is ok, I've always been able to answer the questions. Once from an ODV CM too. (and no, I don't wear a name tag!)

Although I'm totally cool with how anyone wants to dress (or not), I do find it fun to "dress up" for evening activities in Vegas. Amazing what some nice threads and a tie will do for getting above-average lookiloo crowd attention.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Acetone View Post
    All I see in this article and the replies to this thread is pointless elitism.
    I respectfully disagree.
    Remember, no matter where you go. There you are.

This just boggles my mind. People are way more courteous now in this day and age than any other. People are more well-mannered than ever. People hold open doors for eachother, apologize at the drop of a hat, and generally don't want to get in anybody's way. To say that because we don't dress up in petticoats and khakis to see Disneyland is a decline in courtesy is absurd.

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried. People are *not* more courteous
    now than they were back then. Have you been to a mall lately? A movie theatre?
    A grocery store? On the freeway? People are so damn preoccupied with their cellphones to care that they're bullying you with their grocery cart or with their large bus-like suv's or the fact that I DON'T want to be part of their annoying conversations in the middle of a movie! As for the doors being held open? Please! That does *not* happen often enough.
    Oh our society is most definitely in decline and what I think Werner was trying to point
    out more than anything (and I don't for one minute think he was trying to be an elitist)
    is how nice it would be if we could have a return to a time when people actually cared whether or not they looked presentable and clean! And by the way, I don't pay good money to see some woman's boobs hanging out of a top or someone elses underwear from the top of TOO low cut jeans. Thanks but I don't pay for a walking strip show when I go to Disneyland....that and all of the above comments are of course just my opinions.
    !Vamos Rafa!

"I Wish for Infinity Hamburgers"-Homer Simpson

• Rrrrreecite!

I love reading articles or seeing pictures of America in the 50's and 60's. The photos from Disney back then are great. Although, I have to agree that we've come a long way from the "over-sanitized" society of that time. You were expected to dress a certain way, act a certain way, all in the hopes that the public would think that there was nothing wrong. Films like "Pleasantville" and "Far From Heaven" have deconstructed the issues of that time.

There are people nowadays who are courteous and good natured, no matter what they are wearing. It's sad to think we glamourize a time in our history that was riddled with problems. You could say it was the beginning of the end.
    talk about your 2 cents! Love this pics though!

The guests in the photo at the Christmas tree are the Lennon Sisters of Lawrence Welk (and Branson) fame.

The Lennon's father and mother are behind Janet in the City Hall photo.

Fans are discussing this at WelkNotes on Yahoo. Thanks to them for identifying these Disneyland guests who were singing on an ABC network TV show each Saturday night in the 50's and 60's.

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

I noticed one woman in MGM Studios last week wearing a printed sun-dress and casual heels. I pointed it out to my wife, and she liked it. We were going to go look for something like that for her later on the trip, though it sliped our minds. The woman definitly looked good, without having to dress ultra casual or conversly, ultra conservative. I think she might have been cooler then even the most scatily clad Guest. Plus, it was something different.

I think we looked pretty good for our trip. My wife got me a straw fedora to keep the sun off my head. She had curls and wore bright colors most of the trip. Our daughter was the best dressed person in the whole park. She wore a summer dress every day.

I don't think the style of clothing is bad nowadays, I just think there are far too many options compared to the 50s, and very few people know what to do with them. They see something on one person, and think it will look good on them too. That's not always going to be the case. (I'm reminded of this everytime I try to wear white. It washes me out.) There are other factors, like body shape, height, skin tone and so on. It's a minor art to find what works for you peronsally and what you'll be comfortable in at the same time. And for most Americans, that's just one more thing that most don't have the time to do properly, or they don't want to be bothered with.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Jedi View Post
    I noticed one woman in MGM Studios last week wearing a printed sun-dress and casual heels. I pointed it out to my wife, and she liked it. We were going to go look for something like that for her later on the trip, though it sliped our minds. The woman definitly looked good, without having to dress ultra casual or conversly, ultra conservative. I think she might have been cooler then even the most scatily clad Guest. Plus, it was something different.

I think we looked pretty good for our trip. My wife got me a straw fedora to keep the sun off my head. She had curls and wore bright colors most of the trip. Our daughter was the best dressed person in the whole park. She wore a summer dress every day.

I don't think the style of clothing is bad nowadays, I just think there are far too many options compared to the 50s, and very few people know what to do with them. They see something on one person, and think it will look good on them too. That's not always going to be the case. (I'm reminded of this everytime I try to wear white. It washes me out.) There are other factors, like body shape, height, skin tone and so on. It's a minor art to find what works for you peronsally and what you'll be comfortable in at the same time. And for most Americans, that's just one more thing that most don't have the time to do properly, or they don't want to be bothered with.
    That's nice. There's nothing at all wrong with wanting to look nice, or appreciating others who dress well in any occasion!
    Last edited by Neverlandtink; 09-15-2007 at 11:53 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast