Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

September 14, 2007: Dressing for Disneyland

This week, Yesterland goes back to the 1950s with photos that provide a glimpse of how guests used to dress for a day at Disneyland.

Please discuss Dressing for Disneyland here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: September 14, 2007: Dressing for Disneyland

Ah, that brought a tear to my eye.

My favorite family Disneyland photo from the 50s shows my mom, sisters and I dressed in blouses and matching plaid full skirts, with my dad and brother in plaid short-sleeved shirts of the same material. We were one smart looking crew.....

Yes, times have sure changed. The only ones who get dressed up to go to Disneyland these days are the little girls; I don't know when I've seen so many Cinderellas, Snow Whites and Princess Auroras traipsing along in their Disney finery!

• is satisfactual.

I love this article. How wonderful was fashion back then?

I don't dress nearly as fancy as those men did, but I try to wear chinos, polos and somewhat dressy shoes (Crocs I'm never tempted to wear, thankfully), just so that I won't be called a hypocrite when I say:

How nice would it be if people nowadays put just a little more effort into their outfits in the morning? And what's with all the flip flops?

• Closed Account

Great article, Werner! The colors on those vintage photos are so vibrant!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 09-14-2007 at 05:21 AM.

• Banned User

Even in the early 60s, when I first visited the park as a child, people still dressed up when visiting Disneyland.

I really enjoy looking at the park photos from the 70s and 80s: a lot of people thought they were dressing up nicely, but oh the styles and colors hurt the eyes (It burns! It burns!).

Elayne and I just returned from our trip to Disneyland, and while we thought we were dressed casually, we felt overdressed compared with most other guests.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

While I enjoyed the photos and the comparisons, I'm betting that you could take a picture from just about anywhere in the country and find the same situation. You just didn't go out in shorts and a t-shirt in the 50's. I don't think people specifically dressed up for Disneyland - they just dressed the way they always did when going anywhere.

• Infinitized!

Notice how people were slimmer back then?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    While I enjoyed the photos and the comparisons, I'm betting that you could take a picture from just about anywhere in the country and find the same situation. You just didn't go out in shorts and a t-shirt in the 50's.
    I agree, and I mentioned that toward the end of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I don't think people specifically dressed up for Disneyland - they just dressed the way they always did when going anywhere.
    Remembering back 40 years ago, my mother would say, "this is a Disneyland dress," about a few of her dresses. Although we only went to Disneyland about once a year, she had definite ideas about the right kind of dress for a lady to wear to Disneyland. That doesn't mean that she would not wear such a dress to other places.

I can't vouch for what her criteria were, but I think it was something along the lines of being a nice daytime dress, but not too fancy.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Colorado Bound?

I like dressing well for Disneyland. For one like me who goes infrequently, it makes it all the more special.

We dressed to the nines for dinner at Club 33 for my birthday. We go a lot of approving looks on the way there and the matre d' thanked us for "dressing for dinner".
    -AmandasDad

• Starwisher

I think the difference in the way people dress now reflects a general decline in courtesy over the same period of time. People now are less concerned about how they appear to others because they really don't care about anyone but themselves.

I think it's a sign of respect to dress appropriately for whatever occasion and place you find yourself. Nobody wants to see someone in their rattiest sweat pants and the vulgar t-shirt that they thought was so funny the last time they were at the mall. But that's what you get no matter where you are, Disneyland, airports, the grocery store.

People won't change their clothes until they change their attitudes. And I'm not holding my breath.
    Don't make me come in there!

My lady and I tend to dress nicer than most during the day at Disneyland. Usually a short sleeve collared shirt for me, some non-denim pants, decent shoes, and she in a sun dress of some sort. Looking at the pictures posted, we'd fit right in during the day in the 1950's.

We like to look nice in places where people used to look nice at. We can wear T-shirts to a ball game, or really anywhere these days. Something about looking nice at Disneyland just makes the day more enjoyable.

We usually return at night dressed more formally, and it makes for some better than average vacation pictures.

Thanks for the great article, and the wonderful vintage pictures!

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwitek View Post
    My lady and I tend to dress nicer than most during the day at Disneyland. Usually a short sleeve collared shirt for me, some non-denim pants, decent shoes, and she in a sun dress of some sort. Looking at the pictures posted, we'd fit right in during the day in the 1950's.

We like to look nice in places where people used to look nice at. We can wear T-shirts to a ball game, or really anywhere these days. Something about looking nice at Disneyland just makes the day more enjoyable.

We usually return at night dressed more formally, and it makes for some better than average vacation pictures.

Thanks for the great article, and the wonderful vintage pictures!
    Me likey a lotty. Just hope the fur is faux...

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Me likey a lotty. Just hope the fur is faux...
    Definitely Faux.
    Remember, no matter where you go. There you are.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Notice how people were slimmer back then?
    Sure did, not as many distractions as we have today.

I remember Grad nite when they only allowed nicely dressed Teens in. We were told we would behave better if we were dressed up. That didn't last long either way.
    Last edited by Alchimedes; 09-15-2007 at 07:31 AM.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

i'm voting that we institute a "YESTERLAND DAY" at Disneyland , we all dress up nice like it's 1955 and go to Disneyland and only ride the classic rides and take LOTS of pictures

this would be so great , imagine the reaction when they see 50 micechatters all dressed up riding Peter Pan , ha ha ha

My Maleficent tattoo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast