Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Re: September 20, 2007: Book Review: The Disney Mountains

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think it is quite clear that Surrell's books are aimed at a more mainstream audience. This isn't a negative, as his books are wonderful, it would just explain why the book presents what is presented.
    It's a good point that the intended audience is a mainstream audience.

Someone who already has a bookshelf with every book on Disney park history ever published and who reads every Disney fan website religiously is unlikely to find very much that's new in The Disney Mountains: Imagineering at Its Peak by Jason Surrell. Even then, I would think such a person would enjoy seeing so much brought together in one volume.

But mainstream audiences—ranging from the occasional Disney park guest who just want to learn more to the frequent Disney park guest who visits MiceChat, MiceAge, and Yesterland regularly—should find a lot that's new and interesting in Surrell's book.

I agree that the book is wonderful. But I'm still somewhat puzzled why the "book presents what is presented."

I find it surprising that Tokyo and Hong Kong get so little attention. (In fact, the book doesn't even mention that there are versions of Space Mountain in Tokyo and Hong Kong.) And I'm surprised the so much of the book is about Expedition Everest.

I don't understand the omissions in the first case and the disproportionate coverage in the other case, even if the book is aimed at a mainstream audience.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I find it surprising that Tokyo and Hong Kong get so little attention. (In fact, the book doesn't even mention that there are versions of Space Mountain in Tokyo and Hong Kong.) And I'm surprised the so much of the book is about Expedition Everest.
    Many of the people I know are unaware, until I tell them, that are any Disney Resorts outside of Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Disneyland Paris. I do not see many official stateside mentions of anything besides the American Resorts, with Disneyland Paris known through the media coverage of its financial problems.

I don't understand the omissions in the first case and the disproportionate coverage in the other case, even if the book is aimed at a mainstream audience.
    I would say its a nice bit of marketing. The From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies books were coincided with the films. The Disney Mountains is probably a good chunk of marketting for the newest Disney mountain in an American park. This is all just my guesses though.

Sounds great, just ordered mine. Now, the long wait for it to arrive. I really love that book about The Haunted Mansion and I've been meaning to pick up the Pirates one.

It finally came!!! (opens the package) Nice! Can't wait to read it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12