• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

October 2, 2007: Disney Celebrates Epcot’s 25th Anniversary

It almost didn’t happen at all.

I has there on October 1, 2007. I enjoyed my day—but Epcot's 25th anniversary could have been so much more.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Banned User

Re: October 2, 2007: Disney Celebrates Epcot’s 25th Anniversary

I very much enjoyed reading your article of my favourite Disney park - I wish I could have attended!

• The one, the only...

I agree with you. Disney really should have played up Epcot's 25th anniversary. Epcot is unique. No other Disney park has been cloned from it. It is a jewel in WDW crown. With that, it is very sad that Disney did not take this opportunity to celebrate. In fact, I think a year long celebration, would have drawn more people to WDW than the weak YOAMD campaign. They should have had Epcot 25th Anniversary celebration pins at MK rather than POTC pins at Epcot.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    I very much enjoyed reading your article of my favourite Disney park - I wish I could have attended!
    I really enjoyed the day. Marty Sklar's one-hour presentation was the highlight for me. I also enjoyed seeing Kevin Yee again and meeting Deb Wills and other web journalists, print journalists, bloggers, and podcasters for the first time.

By the way, the headline on MiceAge said, "Almost Just Another Day." Some people read that as a claim that was there was hardly anything special at Epcot that day. (That was how I originally read the headline.)

In fact, the headline meant that originally nothing was planned for guests, and that we almost didn't get anything special that day.

The good news is that it wasn't "just another day" after all. I'm not sure if credit for the change goes to the Epcot fans on the Internet or to new Epcot VP Jim MacPhee or to a combination of both. In any case, the 25th anniversary was celebrated well on October 1.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 10-04-2007 at 03:56 AM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• I'm also cute and fluffy!

Nice article. I didn't get to enjoy the full day at Epcot, and standing in the rain trying to eat from Food/Wine booths in the pouring rain is an experience I'll always have tied in my memory to the memories of the amazing fireworks!

Anyway, thanks for providing a nice, more balanced, and just overall truer look at the day than the coverage found elsewhere on the site. I was thinking while I was there that guests who came just expecting a "normal" day at Epcot got a nice plussing to their day, and that's the kind of thing Disney is known for doing well.

I look forward to continuing to read your columns. Best wishes!

I had a great time on 10/01/07, seeing the Marty Skylar talk was one of the hightlights (and I'm pleased to say I was able to use the audio from that as an episode of my podcast), another great thing was just having Disney fans around me all day I did a bit of touring with both the Celebration 25 and Nathan Roses TET (The Epcot Thing) and also attended the Illuminations desrt party so I was surrounded by Disney fans all of the time, it seemed as if, at any time, you could just turn to the person next to you and strike up a conversation, and even if you had never met them before they would likely be someone who "got it" I was especially pleased when striking up a conversation with a few guys who were lining up for the big group photo, when I looked over to get the one guys name from his nametag and saw it said "Werner", it was a reat pleasure to meet you! and I have to thank Brad again for taking our picture (of all the trips for me to forget my camera!). Have you seen the big meet photo? you and I are not too far behind Jim Mc Phee in it.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com View Post
    I had a great time on 10/01/07, seeing the Marty Skylar talk was one of the hightlights (and I'm pleased to say I was able to use the audio from that as an episode of my podcast), another great thing was just having Disney fans around me all day .
    I agree!!!!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.