•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I'm doing Disneyland research for a co-worker

I did a search and didn't find this, so I'm sorry if it has been discussed before.

My co-worker was telling me about going to DL in the 1960's and seeing Pocahontas pouring fire down a waterfall, and the whole thing lighting up. She claims her memory isn't the best with this, but she remembers seeing this as a kid. Is there any truth to this, or are her memory and imagination playing tricks on her?

Thanks for your help!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Re: I'm doing Disneyland research for a co-worker

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    I did a search and didn't find this, so I'm sorry if it has been discussed before.

My co-worker was telling me about going to DL in the 1960's and seeing Pocahontas pouring fire down a waterfall, and the whole thing lighting up. She claims her memory isn't the best with this, but she remembers seeing this as a kid. Is there any truth to this, or are her memory and imagination playing tricks on her?
    If your co-worker is remembering the 1960s, it wouldn't be Pocahontas from Disney's 1995 animated feature, Pocahontas.

There was a Pocahontas stage show at Disneyland from 1995-1997. See http://www.yesterland.com/spirit.html

Of course, Pocahontas was a historical figure, so it's possible that Disneyland could have used her in some context in the 1960sólong before the Disney Company ever dreamed of making a movie loosely based on Pocahontas and John Smith.

However, there was no waterfall at the Indian Village in Frontierland and the shows there were Native American dance presentations. So I really can't imagine "Pocahontas pouring fire down a waterfall, and the whole thing lighting up" at Disneyland in the 1960s.

The closest thing I can think of was the dinner show at the Tahitian Terrace. The show had a waterfall and it had fire. Also, it had women with long, black hair. So it's possible that someone who remembers a little bit about that show and who associates Pocahontas with Disney could make a connection that wasn't really there. Anyway, this is the only thing that I can think of that might relate to your co-worker's childhood memory.

Does anyone have any comments or other ideas?
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 11-09-2007 at 08:14 AM.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Re: I'm doing Disneyland research for a co-worker

Hmm... that makes sense. I knew there was no waterfall in the Indian Village, and I know she wasn't referring to the animated Pocahontas. It may have been the Tahitian Terrace. IDK. I'll have to talk to her on Monday.

Again, she was a kid at the time (in the 60's) and claimed her memory might have been a little hazy on the details...

Hopefully we can get some others in here that might know some other details.

BUT, thank you for your help.
    Last edited by dland_lover; 11-03-2007 at 12:04 PM.