Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Help Needed: Mystery Buildings at Disney-MGM Studios

I'm willing to volunteer to try to find these places for you. My company recently went under, so I now have some free time on my hands. Just let me know everything you're looking for (I'll probably recognize them myself just from seeing them so many times at Disney-MGM!), and I can drive up there Monday or Tuesday.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by YoCharles View Post
    #3 looks like the Bullocks Wilshire Building.
    Although there are some similarities, Mystery 3 is not based on Bullocks Wilshire.

The pictures below show the Mystery 3 facade, Bullocks Wilshire, and a Disney theme park facade that really is based on Bullocks Wilshire. (If you think this is a sneak preview of pictures from a future Yesterland article, you're right.)

Above: Mystery 3.

Above: Bullocks Wilshire, 3050 Wilshire Boulevard (now Southwestern Law School)

Above: Gone Hollywood at Disney's California Adventure
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Number two is the old Winter Garden ice skating rink in Pasadena on Arroyo Parkway across the street from the Salt Shaker. It's now a public storage facility. http://www.squareone.org/PolarPalace/pasadena.html
    Last edited by CoasterBadBoy; 11-30-2007 at 11:48 AM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by CThaddeus View Post
    I'm willing to volunteer to try to find these places for you. My company recently went under, so I now have some free time on my hands. Just let me know everything you're looking for (I'll probably recognize them myself just from seeing them so many times at Disney-MGM!), and I can drive up there Monday or Tuesday.
    Thank you!

In post #6 of this thread, I have a list under the introduction "I believe the following buildings still exist."

The list will grow as MiceChat readers and I solve the mysteries in post #1 of this thread.

I'll assemble a page for you with the images that I have from Disney-MGM Studios. That way, you'll know what the Disney versions of the building look like and what you're looking for. Ideally, your snapshots of the buildings would be from a similar angle, but that's not absolutely necessary. Also, please take several pictures from several angles. I assume you're using a digital camera, so "film is free."

Please don't think you have to find and photograph all the buildings in the list. I hope I'll get an additional volunteer or two. As I receive the image files, I'll update the list so that nobody has to waste time taking snapshots that somebody else has already taken.

After you've taken the pictures, please e-mail the files to me. Don't worry about adjusting, cropping, or resizing the images in any way.

Finally, please don't do anything dangerous. Don't stand in the middle of the street (even if you can get the best shot that way), and don't go into any areas that might be unsafe (even if any addresses on the list are in such areas). I would feel terrible if anything happened to someone who was taking pictures for Yesterland.

I'll send a PM to to later today.

Thanks again!
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by CoasterBadBoy View Post
    Number two is the old Winter Garden ice skating rink in Pasadena on Arroyo Parkway across the street from the Salt Shaker. It's now a public storage facility. http://www.squareone.org/PolarPalace/pasadena.html
    Excellent! A third mystery has been solved! Thank you.

#2 is the Pasadena Winter Garden (J. Cyril Bennett, 1940), 171 S. Arroyo Parkway, Pasadena, which is now Public Storage. http://www.squareone.org/PolarPalace/pasadena.html

I'll update post #1 and post #6 of this thread.
    Werner Weiss

I believe Mysery #8 is a differently-proportioned version of an Art Deco building located at 5620 Hollywood Blvd. It was also seen in the movie "L.A. Confidential" as the fictitious ''El Cortez' theater, showing "When Worlds Collide" during the movie premiere's pot bust scene. The base of the tower is a good match, but the upper third has been compressed and squashed down. If you use Google Maps Street View feature you can cruise up and down the Boulevard looking left or right to find your missing buildings.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by acd562 View Post
    I believe Mysery #8 is a differently-proportioned version of an Art Deco building located at 5620 Hollywood Blvd.
    Wow! I think you're right!

The ground floor clearly has the same design. I couldn't find a picture that shows the tower, but I'm going to consider this another Mystery Solved!

5620 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, between Wilton and Western (east of the 101 Fwy.)

I'll update posts #1 and #6.
    Werner Weiss

I've been working on this exact list for years, but I never compiled address and my photos aren't yet digitized. Still I can give you a few of your missing structures.

I'm certain Mystery #3 is a bar in Pasadena on Colorado Boulevard. It's The 35er Bar, 12 East Colorado Boulevard, near Fair Oaks.

Strangely enough, Mystery #6 is not in Hollywood, Los Angeles or even Southern California. In fact, the original inspiration for this structure can be found in Oakland, California while Mystery #5 is, believe it or not, across the bay in San Francisco.

Here's Oakland's:

http://flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/1225456042/

And I'll contest the solution to Mystery #8 as I really don't think it's the same building.They are far too dissimilar.
    Last edited by lynxwiler; 12-01-2007 at 01:06 PM.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by lynxwiler View Post
    Although I need to get you the addresses, I'm certain Mystery #3 is a bar in Pasadena on Colorado Boulevard while Mystery #6, is can be found in Oakland, California and Mystery #5 is across the bay in San Francisco.
    Excellent! Mystery #6 is the old Floral Exchange at 1900 Telegraph Ave. (at 19th Street) in Oakland. Another Mystery Solved!

http://flickr.com/photos/pbo31/100936682/

http://www.decopix.com/New%20Site/Pa...oPages/fd.html

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5735935

By the way, I just learned (through the magic of the Internet) that the old, defunct Floral Exchange reopened this month a Flora, a new restaurant.

Please let me know what you figure out about the other two (#3 and #5). My Googling was unsuccessful for those.

And I'll contest the solution to Mystery #8 as I really don't think it's the same building.They are far too dissimilar.
    Did you find a photo of 5620 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles? (I didn't.)

I just used the the Google Maps "Street View" feature. The tower was cut off by "Street View." And the building is a different color. And it doesn't have a corner entrance. And it was backlit, so it was hard to make out details. But the architecture around the entrance was very similar.

I still think this is a Mystery Solved, but I would welcome any input that would prove or disprove it.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 11-30-2007 at 09:38 PM.
    Werner Weiss

I found a photo regarding Mystery #8. Sorry, I still have to contest that one...

Here is 5620 Hollywood Blvd on Flickr:
    http://flickr.com/photos/cwsteeds/54...n/photostream/

It's far to different from Disney's model that I wouldn't yet say the mystery is solved:
    http://flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/1095562014/

Hooray! I knew I had found this building in San Francisco, but what a bummer that all my photos are prints and I don't have a scanner. Instead I cruised through Flickr and found it right where I thought it was:
    http://flickr.com/photos/grassfire/300633224/

Mystery #5 is solved.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

I found a photo regarding Mystery #8. Sorry, I still have to contest that one...

Here is 5620 Hollywood Blvd on Flickr:
    http://flickr.com/photos/cwsteeds/54...n/photostream/

It's far to different from Disney's model that I wouldn't yet say the mystery is solved:
    http://flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/1095562014/
    Now that I've seen the better picture that you identified, I agree with you. Thank you!

Although there are similarities with the vertical elements on the lower level, that's probably just due to being built around the same time.

Mystery #8 is once again a Mystery, not a Mystery Solved.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Hooray! I knew I had found this building in San Francisco, but what a bummer that all my photos are prints and I don't have a scanner. Instead I cruised through Flickr and found it right where I thought it was:
    http://flickr.com/photos/grassfire/300633224/

Mystery #5 is solved.
    That looks like the right building! It seems to be at the corner or Powel and Ofarrell in San Francisco. Any idea of the buiding's name and/or address?

Thanks.
    Werner Weiss

• The Mystery Mouseketool

Mystery #3 looks like a building I've seen on the east side of Hollywood. I'm not sure when I can get over there, so I'm guessing, but the one I'm thinking of is now a video store (it used to be furniture, I think, and who knows before that. Or maybe it was a video store, and now it's furniture - welcome to Sketchy Info Today!). It's on the corner of either Vermont or Western, at either Melrose or Santa Monica. I might be able to go later this week, but are there any Angelinos that can check it out? (My apologies if this turns out to be a wild goose chase!)
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - BB

You may want to contact Charles Phoenix, the author of "Southern California in the 50s:
    Sun, Fun, and Fantasy" and "Southern Californialand:
    Mid-Century Culture in Kodachrome". His website is www.charlesphoenix.com

Hope this helps!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast