Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Help Needed: Mystery Buildings at Disney-MGM Studios

Mystery #3 is a bar in Pasadena, The 35er Bar, 12 East Colorado Boulevard, near Fair Oaks.

• The Fantasyland guy

wow, good eye lynxwiler.

Warner, this story and thread are both fun to read. I love figuring out where things come from in history. Thanks for the memories. I haven't seen some of these buildings in years.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by lynxwiler View Post
    Mystery #3 is a bar in Pasadena, The 35er Bar, 12 East Colorado Boulevard, near Fair Oaks.
    Yep. Mystery Solved! (I also received a PM about this one.) I updated posts #1 and #6.

Thank you to both of you!
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• I'm detecting nuttiness.

The building for Mystery 5 doesn't seem to have a name. The address is 200 Powell St. Here's another not very good picture of it:
    http://images.nycsubway.org/i41000/img_41513.jpg

And here's a link to an article that mentions that the owners will be leasing space inside the building to Skechers. The article includes a small artist's drawing of the building:
    http://www.shoppingcenterbusiness.co.../story12.shtml

And one more article about the lease, which also doesn't mention a building name:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...28/story9.html

Oh, and the Photo Systems shown in the above picture is listed as being at 206 Powell St.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE: Here's another article that gives a brief history of the building and includes another small picture of it:
    http://www.costar.com/News/Article.a...5C67C445C0A9D5

But the building itself still doesn't seem to have a name.
    Last edited by Brian_WDW74; 12-01-2007 at 02:53 PM.
    *Brian*

Could #4 be the Historical Aztec hotel on route 66 in Monrovia, CA? Possibly inspired by it?

http://rion.nu/v5/archive/000317.php

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by terp79 View Post
    Could #4 be the Historical Aztec hotel on route 66 in Monrovia, CA? Possibly inspired by it?

http://rion.nu/v5/archive/000317.php
    In post #3 of this thread, I wrote:

When I originally saw that facade, I assumed it was based on the Aztec Hotel in Monrovia. But it's not that either: http://rion.nu/v5/archive/000317.php

When I was researching for this article, I thought it might be based on one of the L.A. area's themed movie palaces. No luck either. http://www.latimemachines.com/new_page_18.htm

I have to believe that #4 is based on a real building, and that it actually has a corner entrance like that. I just don't know what it is. It could be from a restaurant, a bar, a shop, or a business.

I hope somebody reading this thread recognizes it.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
    The building for Mystery 5 doesn't seem to have a name. The address is 200 Powell St.
    Thank you for the information and links! I now consider this a Mystery Solved.

Here's one more link. http://www.globest.com/retail/news/west/20066-1.html

Let's just assume the name is 200 Powell Street.

I'm surprised that there doesn't seem to be more information on the building's history. The CoStar article had this sentence about its history: "Built in 1933, the building is a period piece of art-deco design on the northeast corner of Powell and O'Farrell streets in the heart of San Francisco's vibrant Union Square district." (That's better than nothing.)

Thank you to lynxwiler and Brian_WDW74 !
    Werner Weiss

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by lynxwiler View Post

Wow. I drive past that building several times a week and never made the connection. Good eye!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

Regarding Mystery #4, I think the structure is an amalgam of the Aztec Motel in Monrovia and the Mayan Theater in downtown LA.

For example, above the second floor windows, the maze-like designs seem influenced by the Aztec Motel, while the Quetzocuatl-like door stantions look like the newel post on the Mayan Theater's interior stairway.

The Hollywood Tower is inspired by a collection of buildings. Same with Sid Cahuenga's house/store and, quite possibly, this Meso-American free-for-all. I wouldn't be surprised if Mystery #1 is also a Deco compilation and not taken from one, specific structure.

I've got more than two cents worth of opinions on the topic, sorry if I'm dragging it on.

• I'm detecting nuttiness.

lynxwiler,

I've been leaning a little that way myself, especially since Mystery 1 looks somewhat like a smaller version of the entranceway to the Group Health Insurance Building (formerly the McGraw-Hill Building) in NYC:

But then I start to wonder why WDI would work so diligently to recreate so many specific buildings just to go and throw a few "amalgams" into the mix. It's mighty confusing.
    *Brian*

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
    But then I start to wonder why WDI would work so diligently to recreate so many specific buildings just to go and throw a few "amalgams" into the mix. It's mighty confusing.
    The 50's Prime Time Cafe and Sid Cahuenga's are clearly composites of various buildings.

The 50's Prime Time Cafe is based on residential work by modern architects such as R.M. Schindler and Richard Neutra, but it's not based on a specific house.

Sid Cahuenga's One-of-a-kind Shop is based on common California bungalows and the American Craftsman Style of Greene and Greene. But I think the main point that the Imagineers were making was that there places in Los Angeles where residences have been turned into shops, and sometimes those shops are surrounded by commercial buildings.

So if the 50's Prime Time and Sid Cahuenga's don't represent real buildings, I suppose there could be other cases. Still, it just seems that #1 and #4 have such distinctive and unusual designs! It seems they would need to based on real buildings to be believable.
    Werner Weiss

# 10 looks very familiar to me. I have this feeling it's a real dentist's office too. It might be on colorado blvd east of glendale, but maybe my memory's just screwy. unfortunately google street view doesn't go there.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by maskdmirag View Post
    # 10 looks very familiar to me. I have this feeling it's a real dentist's office too. It might be on colorado blvd east of glendale, but maybe my memory's just screwy. unfortunately google street view doesn't go there.
    It looks familiar to me too. Could it be because I worked in Glendale for five years?
    Werner Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    It looks familiar to me too. Could it be because I worked in Glendale for five years?
    I'll try to drive out there tomorrow. I design intersections in LA and if I'm remembering right this building is on the corner of one of those intersections. It's been 3-4 years since that project so I might be off.

no dice. I drove the whole stretch I remembered seeing it on and I guess I was wrong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast