Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Re: Dec. 7, 2007: Tobacco Shop

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
    I think you missed one of the smoking areas - isn't there one across from the entrance to the Matterhorn? (I know it was there a couple of years ago, but maybe it's gone and I haven't noticed...)
    The Fantasyland smoking area (near the Matterhorn) moved when the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage opened and its waiting queue extended into the former smoking area. Currently, the smoking area for the east side of Disneyland Park is near the Tomorrowland Railroad Station.

As of now, the official Disneyland website still has the outdated information: http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...esGSDetailPage
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Excandymaker (or anyone sles who knows)

Any idea wher to locate the Lennon photo? I've had no luck and we recently acquired one of the two original indians from 1955 and would love to gather as many vintage images as we can--THANKS

• Semi-Lurker

Hey hbwriter

I talked to a friend today about this photo and he informed me that it was not Harry Nilsson but Jesse Ed Davis (Who was John's guitar player for a lot of the 70'S and also a full blooded Kiowa indian) in the photo.
    My friend also said that the picture was taken by May Pang, John's girlfriend at the time. I will look to see if I can find a copy but I know May Pang has several books out about her time with Lennon and I bet it the picture is in one of them.

Thanks so much for the info! I'll do some digging around on the May Pang stuff--

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by hbwriter View Post
    Excandymaker (or anyone sles who knows)

we recently acquired one of the two original indians from 1955
    The two that are there aren't the originals? Why would they be replaced?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    The two that are there aren't the originals? Why would they be replaced?
    For the 50th anniversary, it appears the cigar store Indians were recast with 50th anniversary medallions. I wasn't aware that the originals didn't return when Happiest Homecoming on Earth celebration ended. In my 2007 photo in the Tobacco Shop article, it appears the cigar store Indian on Main Street still has an extra medallion, though no longer with golden mouse ears.

So I believe hbwriter really does have an original Indians from 1955.

Here's a photo from 2006, while the Happiest Homecoming on Earth was going on:

2006 photo by W. Weiss
    Werner Weiss

All--there are some wonderful photos out there of the Indian(s). What interests me about them is that they've been a photo-op pretty much since day one and so they have been fairly well documented over the years--true mainstays at the park.

If anyone has photos to share, please do--photos of the Indian we acquired will be posted here soon. He's a great relic, faded paint and all... (it's the one from Frontierland)

Found a shot recently of Walt with the Main St. Indian in '55, now perhaps we can find one of him with this guy.

Another smoking related fact that comes to mind is how in the Twilight Zone intro at MGM Rod Serlings cigarette was digitally removed.

Come to think of it wasn't there a painting of Walt with a cigarette and the cigarette was later removed ?

• Circle of Ancients

I have no problems with the stringent restrictions on smoking, and not having smoking in future movies.

But when you are removing smoking from classic cartoons and movies, that's when I start having a problem.

According to Iger, the Disney policy is for new movies, and has nothing to do with older movies. They should NOT be changing ANYTHING to make them more PC now.

Great update BTW Werner.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by DisTex View Post
    Another smoking related fact that comes to mind is how in the Twilight Zone intro at MGM Rod Serlings cigarette was digitally removed.
    That's a piece of trivia that's often repeated, but that isn't true.

According to an interview with Mark Silverman, who did the voice of Rod Serling for introduction of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror:
    The clip is taken from the episode "It's a Good Life." One thing I will say, so many of these sites talk about how Rod Serling's cigarette was "digitally" removed by the Imagineers. WRONG!! Rod Serling smoked a lot, but not this time! There never was any removal of a cigarette. Even some tour books in the stores say that!

If you search for "It's a Good Life" and "Serling" on YouTube, you can watch Rod Serling's introduction. He was standing in front of a map of the United States, not a freight elevator. He was not smoking (or even holding) a cigarette. The Imagineers digitally altered the scene to replace the background, but they didn't have to do anything with a cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by DisTex View Post
    Come to think of it wasn't there a painting of Walt with a cigarette and the cigarette was later removed ?
    I'm not aware of such a painting. If someone knows about one, please post the details here.

Although Walt Disney was a smoker, he didn't smoke when he was filmed or photographed for family viewing. (However, if you look, you can find candid photos of Walt Disney smoking.)
    Werner Weiss

• Circle of Ancients

I remember seeing that Episode not too far back and I was like "It's Tower of Terror" Rod Serling.

LOL!!!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    According to Iger, the Disney policy is for new movies, and has nothing to do with older movies. They should NOT be changing ANYTHING to make them more PC now.
    I hope they learned something from the reaction to editing Pecos Bill in Melody Time.

I guess the idea was that parents just plop their kids in front of the TV with Disney DVDs as an electronic baby sitter, so Disney couldn't appear to promote smoking. After all, Pecos Bill was the hero of the tall tale, not some sort of villain. I think Disney could have left the movie with its humor, timing, and visuals intact — simply by including a printed a notice to parents on and/or in the DVD package.

Fortunately, Disney has done better with the Walt Disney Treasures DVD series. Of course, these films aren't designed to be electronic babysitters. Leonard Maltin's introductions sometimes deal with material that has been left intact but that clearly would not be made the same way today. On the Walt Disney Treasures DVD, Mickey Mouse in Black and White, Mickey Mouse drinks beer and smokes in Gallopin' Gaucho (1928).
    Werner Weiss

Having worked at Castle Park under Bud Hurlbut, I was introduced to the manager of the park. He claimed to have been the owner of the tobacco shop in Disneyland which surprised me. I thought that Disneyland owned the shop. I asked him as to why the shop closed. He claimed that there was a fallout over the new contract and that he didn't like it and so the shop closed. I asked him if he made a lot of money and he said that he did.

• Vroom, vroom!

Well being a smoker I dont mind being pushed to a funny out of the way spot to smoke. But it was nice to have shops that sold things like a real town like the arcade pharmacy candle shop flower shop etc. And on the movie subject its just wrong to alter movies and cartoons to be fore a modern movie goer because its like saying it never hapened and denying the facts that then it was ok but to change it is a imorral thing to do.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12