Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Dec. 7, 2007: Tobacco Shop

There used to be a Tobacco Shop shop on Main Street in Disneyland. Oh, how the Disneyland has changed when it comes to tobacco!

Link to Tobacco Shop at Yesterland

Please discuss it here. But please be nice. (Internet forum discussions about smoking sometimes get out of hand.)
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Mousketeer

Re: Dec. 7, 2007: Tobacco Shop

While I have never smoked, I sure did love the smells of the tobacco shop. Great update Werner

• missing the DisneyGallery

I wish the smoking policy was actually enforced at Disneyland, or at WDW for that matter.

When attractions were original

• Minion

The vice which killed Walt...otherwise he could have easily lived another 10-20 years...Magic Kingdom / WDW in particular would have benefited from that. Thunder Mesa would be a reality...not chopped up Pirates.

Wink Re: Dec. 7, 2007: Tobacco Shop

Great post! But you missed the most unique thing about the ol’ Tobacco Shoppe…

There was a false door next to the entrance, and hanging in the door’s window was a window shade bearing the following legend in large colorful script:

‘Tobacco is a filthy weed,
    It satisfies no normal need;
    It makes you thin, it makes you lean,
    It’s the worst darn stuff you’ve ever seen…
    I LIKE IT!’

Another personal Walt Disney touch lost to the ages!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

When Walt Disney’s 1948 animated feature Melody Time was released on DVD in the United States, the Pecos Bill episode had been edited so that Pecos Bill would no longer be a smoker
    Hope they don't do the same to Cruella, when 101 Dalmatians is released on
    2 disc dvd next year! At least during Halloweentime, she was still carrying
    her cigarette holder.

You know, I was wondering why there was an "Indian" last time I was there... LOL

America's done a complete turn-around on smoking. I mean, you still see it in movies but it tends to designate criminals and rebellious sorts-rather than being something most adults did. Meanwhile, the Paris park sells lighters with the park logo. (I wanted to get one for the sake of novelty this summer but my airline had a "no lighters period" policy).

But Disney hasn't cut out smoking from the Miyazaki films iirc. But I think smoking in anime is more of a visual thing that allows for gestures and smoke and such.

• Semi-Lurker

There is a famous picture of John Lennon (and Harry Nilsson) with The Tobacco Shop indian on Main Street. It was taken in the early 70's during John"s so called "lost years" in Los Angeles. The picture shows John and Harry giving the Indian some "refreshments" that they had definitely brought from outside the park.

This is a great example of unique disney theming. Theming that i feel has been replaced by generic stuffed mickey's and year of amillion dreams "souveniers". I miss having stores where you could buy period related pieces, that one couldn't find at the mall or strip mall. I hate to say it but the only theme park i have been to that still has this uniqueness to it is knotts. Shocker, I know!!! Ceder Fair has ruined (IMOP) most of knotts berry farm but have left gohst town pretty much alone. I was able to goo inside a store that sold Guns....!!!! I am pretty sure they were just realistic replicas but never the less impressive. They also sold cigars, ciggs, and knives in the same store. Knotts also has a Camera shop where you can wear vintage old west clothing and take portraits in color, black and white and seqouia (sp?). I just wish frontierland had that opportunity!!! Sorry to sound like a downer on disney.... just miss some of the old ways....

• Yay Mickey!!

Hi Werner,
    Great article as usual.

I have a question this week pertaining to the 2 cigar store indians. Looking at the photos of the 2, they look to be rather similar. Are they the same statue?

-Justin

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysImagination View Post
    I have a question this week pertaining to the 2 cigar store indians. Looking at the photos of the 2, they look to be rather similar. Are they the same statue?
    Most traditional, 19th-century cigar store Indians were hand-carved wood, but I believe that Disneyland's cigar store Indians are cast iron. It looks to me that the statues on Main Street and Frontierland are from the same mold. I didn't put this in the Yesterland article, because I'm only guessing.
    Werner Weiss

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by vannie<3 View Post
    Knotts also has a Camera shop where you can wear vintage old west clothing and take portraits in color, black and white and seqouia (sp?).

I think you mean "sepia". That's the brown tint of old western photographs since they used iron or something in their photography and the rust created a characteristic brown tint.

Yup thats what i meant!!! lol I'm such a ditz...thanks for the correction!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by SciFi96 View Post
    I wish the smoking policy was actually enforced at Disneyland, or at WDW for that matter.
    My experience has been that almost all smokers are considerate and follow the rules. (Thank you!)

I have seen cases of smokers lighting up in crowds, getting in line at an Epcot Food & Wine Festival booth with a lit cigarette, or smoking while walking along. But such instances are rare.

This past fall, I overheard an Epcot cast member ever-so-tactfully and politely explaining the smoking rules to someone who had lit up where he shouldn't have. I think some smokers just aren't aware that outdoor smoking is restricted. (Let's face it. Most guests don't read every bit of fine print in their map guides.)

Actually, I'd like to see Walt Disney World do a little more for smokers. With the high heat in the sun and the frequent rain storms in Central Florida, it would be nice if Disney could build some covered outdoor areas such as gazebos (appropriately themed, of course) with ceiling fans for smokers. In the end, it's good business to make sure that every member of the family is happy, even if some of them smoke.

Smokers have given up a lot so that the rest of us are now seldom exposed to second-hand smoke.
    Werner Weiss

• The Mystery Mouseketool

I think you missed one of the smoking areas - isn't there one across from the entrance to the Matterhorn? (I know it was there a couple of years ago, but maybe it's gone and I haven't noticed...)
    That's my favorite one, because nothing goes with fresh alpine air like a cloud of second-hand smoke!
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - BB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast