• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Jan. 4, 2008: Ken-L Land Pet Motel

The pet care center at the entrance to Disneyland Park looks different now than it did decades ago, but it's actually still the same building. Just expect to pay more today—a lot more.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Jan. 4, 2008: Ken-L Land Pet Motel

I used to love working in the kennel, and most other cast members did not, so a lot of them would come to me to trade shifts to get out of there.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

How about taking a dog into either of the parks? Sorry. Dogs are not permitted. There are two exceptions. Service animals are welcome. And so is Pluto.

I say there are Three Exceptions.
    Service Animals are welcome. and so is Pluto and Goofy

Goofy is a big dog.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

It's really sad about the $10 price hike in just two years. At $10, the Kennel really was a nice buy.. me and my partner got into the habit of bringing our dog when we went to Disneyland, and enjoyed taking the dog for a walk and such whenever we felt a need to break from the park. When it went up to $15 in 2006.. it was unpleasent... but was still bearable. $20 in 2007? That's ridiculous. Something that's supposed to be a SERVICE (as in, something to make visitors to the park have less to worry about) was now seeming like a luxury. As Premium Passholders, it was more then a little miffing to get stuck with two $5 hikes for something we used almost every visit. There's no discount or annual pass for the kennel, and because paying $20 every time defeats the lure of the Premium Pass' 'free visits' factor... we ended up just going less. So Disneyland lost all the money we would've spent on food and gifts during our visits, since the unwillingness to choose between a sitter for the dog or paying $20 a visit just left us staying away instead of wanting to visit more. I really hope they rethink their Kennel prices, or at least offer a steep Annual Passholder discount. Hardly anyone uses the place as it is... do they really want to drive MORE people away?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    Hardly anyone uses the place as it is... do they really want to drive MORE people away?
    When I was putting together the article, I was really surprised by the increase from 50 cents in 1975 to $20 today. That's 40 times the 1975 price! (Based on inflation as measured by the CPI, it should be about 4 times as much.)

Many other things have also gone up far more than the rate of inflation. Medical care comes to mind right away.

But 4o times as much?

When I was researching the article, I found it interesting that the Disneyland Resort does not offer any overnight kennel services for hotel guests, even though they have three large hotels which don't allow pets. They advise guests with pets to seek the services of an outside kennel, but they don't offer suggestions.
    Werner Weiss

I'm guessing that, while the price has gone up since the 70's, the level of care has improved as well. I expect that for $0.50 you got a plastic box to stuff your pet into for 16 hours. Such changes implies increased operational costs.
    Visit MouseBits at http://www.mousebits.com for the Internet's largest and most active source of fan-made Disney video and audio multimedia!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by SirLamer View Post
    I'm guessing that, while the price has gone up since the 70's, the level of care has improved as well. I expect that for $0.50 you got a plastic box to stuff your pet into for 16 hours. Such changes implies increased operational costs.
    Does anyone know (ideally from experience) if and how the level of care has changed?

I doubt that they've gone from plastic boxes to luxurious doggie suites over the past 30 years. It's still the same building, and it's likely to have the same cages inside. I think it's more a matter that it's gone from being a service with a nominal charge to a profit center with a rather hefty charge per animal.

But I could be wrong. Does anyone really know?
    Werner Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Does anyone know (ideally from experience) if and how the level of care has changed?

I doubt that they've gone from plastic boxes to luxurious doggie suites over the past 30 years. It's still the same building, and it's likely to have the same cages inside. I think it's more a matter that it's gone from being a service with a nominal charge to a profit center with a rather hefty charge per animal.

But I could be wrong. Does anyone really know?
    The service level hasn't changed one bit over the years. I never boarded a dog back in the 70s since I was just a kid then but I have boarded dogs plenty of times when it was sponsored by Gaines, Friskies and Purina. During those years it has always been just a kennel with an attendant and nothing more like a doggie day care, personal walker, etc.

The last time I boarded my dog was right before the prices went up from $10 to $15. Now that it is $20, I feel it is no longer worth it since you can find day care or overnight boarding for a just a few dollars more. This would solve your overnight boarding issues since it was already mentioned that the Disneyland hotels don't allow pets. The number of hotels that do allow pets are very limited and charge extra fees for having pets.

I found over the years it is getting more difficult to bring a dog to DL. My biggest complaint is that there is no drop off/pick up area. You figure DL would allow you to drive up to the kennel, temporarily park to check your dog in and then allow you park your car in the main lot afterwards. This isn’t the case since you have to ride the tram with your dog to get to the kennel. In the past when you were still able to park in the front lot if you got there early (I believe it's the Timon lot?) this wasn't much of a problem. You could simply walk from the kennels to your car.

With the Mickey & Friends parking lot it is a lot trickier. At night when everyone is trying to leave the park, there isn’t an easy way to board the trams with a dog. The lines are packed so tightly together that if you’re not on the outer line or carrying your dog, you’re dog could get trampled! If you’re with a group of people then it might be possible to wait on the side while your party stands in line and hold spots for you and your dog on the tram. In my case I usually travel with just my girlfriend. We found that the tired crowds weren’t always the friendliest when my GF tried to hold 2 spots on the tram. I found it was easier to just throw my dog over my shoulder and wait in line. Yes I look stupid with a 50, 60 and even 80 pound dog on me but it was well worth it to ensure that my dogs were safe.

Michael

• Conductor on Retlaw 1 Car

Quote Originally Posted by akfandisney View Post
    How about taking a dog into either of the parks? Sorry. Dogs are not permitted. There are two exceptions. Service animals are welcome. And so is Pluto.

I say there are Three Exceptions.
    Service Animals are welcome. and so is Pluto and Goofy

Goofy is a big dog.
    I was going to say that also. What about mice and ducks. Can we forget bears i can't think of any other animals that are mascots. We may need to board the Jungle Skippers on here they seem to get wild and in trouble and would be better to leave them at the gate for 20 dollars. Just joking to all of you skips
    I was a few minutes away from Hong Kong Disneyland and didn't make it but got this cool picture though

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

When I wrote the article about Ken-L-Land, I thought about including Goofy. I also thought about other Disney characters based on animals.

I decided to limit the final sentence of the article to dogs. And I decided that Goofy, although he has canine features, is not really a dog in the same way that Pluto is.

Here's how Cecil Adams answers the question, "If Pluto is a dog, what is Goofy?" — http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_077.html

According to the Disney Archives website, "Goofy was created as a human character, as opposed to Pluto, who was a pet, so he walked upright and had a speaking voice (first supplied by [Pinto] Colvig, and later by George Johnson, Bob Jackman, and Bill Farmer)." — http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/...ofy/goofy.html
    Werner Weiss