Locate CLEAR video of Sub Voyage Mermaids?

Ah, for some time I have been looking for good, clear footage of the "fake" mermaids--this is very difficult to find, though I may just be looking in the wrong place. There is a thread on the "mermaids" elsewhere in this section, but I thought I would start a special thread that deals with video more specifically. (The "real" cast member mermaids were cool too, but there's a lot of footage of those, and I never thought they had the appeal of the fake ones.)

A long time ago (is 30-ish years a long time?) I remember seeing The Wonderful World of Disney on TV. They would have this outro film they would show sometimes at the end of the show, and hands down, one of the most startling images in this outro was a shot of one of the rubber mermaids swimming by the camera, in color. At least, I'm pretty sure it was in color, because I seem to remember flesh tones on the mermaid.

What was entrancing about this image--aside from the beauty of the mermaid itself, I guess--was the fact that the mermaid clearly wasn't a real person. Yet it moved in such a realistic way, and had that subtly happy sculpted expression; it looked very different from a person holding their breath under the water. It had a facial expression you couldn't really achieve with a real performer.

I believe there is a black and white version of this image on the Disney Treasures "Secrets, Stories and Magic" DVD, in the "World's Fair" section. I'm sure I saw a color version of this on TV back in the day. There must be more footage out there to see.

Does anyone know where I can find the best, clearest film of these things, and the longest shots?

Re: Locate CLEAR video of Sub Voyage Mermaids?

Sigh...as far as I can see, there just isn't any good color footage of the "fake" rubber mermaids to be found! I bought a couple of the Disneyland DVDs and scoured through these, but the only thing shown in color is footage of the "real" mermaid actors! On the "Secrets, Stories and Magic" DVD there is a brief clip of the mermaids in black and white, but that's all I found! (It's certainly better than nothing at all, though!)

Since this is a board of experts and no one has chimed in yet, I have to assume that this footage I'm looking for just isn't available anywhere...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Don't lose hope... sometimes these things just take a while. Just bump this thread, every now and then, to remind people it's here, and it's bound to catch someone's interest that may have what you're looking for. While it may not always be the quickest in responding, MiceChat is full of a lot of very knowledgeable people, who have (or can get their hands on) some amazing things.

I, for one, would love to see this footage, too. So, come on, MiceChatters, show us what you've got!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I don't think this is entirely what you were hoping for, as it is not a very long clip, but it is fairly clear. Check it around 2:35. A few seconds later, you'll se them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...eature=related

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you...pretty good! You see, on the several times I went on the Submarine Voyage ride, the mermaids on wires were never swimming close to the submarine. I generally didn't get to see them up close. If anyone has more footage, I'd love to see it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyseas View Post
    Thank you...pretty good! You see, on the several times I went on the Submarine Voyage ride, the mermaids on wires were never swimming close to the submarine. I generally didn't get to see them up close. If anyone has more footage, I'd love to see it.
    you are right,i have the same feeling