Thread: failed parks

Question failed parks

does anyone remember anything of the failed Disney island resort from years ago??
    there used to be acouple websites based on the topic but I cant seem to find any info
    help on this would be greatly appreciated

Re: failed parks

if never heard of it, I am interested in hearing about it too

Do you mean the Discovery Island in Bay lake (not to be confused with the section of Animal Kingdom that goes by the same name) that was used as a sort of Nature preserve at one time? It closed for a variety of reasons including the fact that once Disney's Animal Kingdom opened it was sort of redundant to have this VERY lightly attended nature reserve when these animals could be located at the new park for instance the Galapagos tortises that are at Disney's Animal Kingdom are the ones that were kept on that Original Discovery Island.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by bigbrian-nc.com View Post
    Do you mean the Discovery Island in Bay lake (not to be confused with the section of Animal Kingdom that goes by the same name) that was used as a sort of Nature preserve at one time? It closed for a variety of reasons including the fact that once Disney's Animal Kingdom opened it was sort of redundant to have this VERY lightly attended nature reserve when these animals could be located at the new park for instance the Galapagos tortises that are at Disney's Animal Kingdom are the ones that were kept on that Original Discovery Island.
    Before it was Discovery Island it was something else...a Pirate Themed Island I think.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Before it was Discovery Island it was something else...a Pirate Themed Island I think.
    It opened in 1974 as "Treasure Island." Being opened from 1974-1999 isn't exactly a failure, though. It just wasn't needed anymore. It never was the busiest... it was quite a relaxing trip.

The island was home of the last Dusty Seaside Sparrow.

That place held some great memories for me... especially that time when a flock of Snowy Egrets bombed my father.

There have been plans proposed often for the island, but none has yet become official. One rumored that it was to become a high-ticket adventure base on Myst. I've heard CMs say that there's also been plans to turn it into a honeymoon getaway.

But right now, it's basically an abandoned island overrun with birds.

As you can see here, they just closed it. Nothing torn down, just probably storage at the moment if nothing else. I have occasionally seen a lone person out on the island every now and then.

Name:  discoveryisland.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  159.1 KB
    -Tim