• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Feb. 1, 2008: Two Urban Legends about Disney Theme Parks

One week ago, Yesterland ran Three Urban Legends about the Walt Disney World Monorail. Here are two more urban legends. For the two color pictures in this article, I had some fun with Adobe Photoshop.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Feb. 1, 2008: Two Urban Legends about Disney Theme Parks

I really enjoy reading about urban legends, and Disney the company and the man have generated more than most. I hadn't heard that one about 10/1, but I would have shouted the bus driver down!

As to Texas vs. Forida, you wrote - "There are parts of Texas whose climate is not much worse than Orlando..." As a longtime Dallas resident, I feel pretty strongly that there are some parts of Texas where the weather is far superior to Florida. Not quite as hot or humid during most summers, no frequent rainstorms like late summer in Florida, and much less hurricane threat. I'm not looking any time soon for Disney Over Texas, but is would be pretty cool!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    As to Texas vs. Forida, you wrote - "There are parts of Texas whose climate is not much worse than Orlando..." As a longtime Dallas resident, I feel pretty strongly that there are some parts of Texas where the weather is far superior to Florida. Not quite as hot or humid during most summers, no frequent rainstorms like late summer in Florida, and much less hurricane threat. I'm not looking any time soon for Disney Over Texas, but is would be pretty cool!
    On average, Dallas is hotter than Orlando in the summer and colder than Orlando in the winter. But I agree with your other points.

MONTHLY AVERAGES for Orlando at weather.com

MONTHLY AVERAGES for Dallas at weather.com

Texas is a big state (as Texans are fond of reminding us), with climate variations throughout the state. I'm sure Disney could pick an appropriate location for all-year operations if Disney ever decides to establish a third destination Disney resort in North America.

As far as I'm concerned, Orlando and Dallas both have a better climate than the Chicago area where I live.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

That was interesting, seeing the temps side by side. I think the cold in the winter would be more of a deterrent, but at least cold snaps usually don't last more than a few days. I still maintain that Florida's summers with really high humidity are more miserable than Texas's.

The humidity in Orlando in July is definitely a lot worse than what you get in most of Texas.

Just wanted to comment about the Disney in San Antonio rumors: Seaworld opened back in 1998. Back when it first opened, the local news ran a story about Disney rumored to be looking into buying land in the San Antonio area. So this is not a new rumor, actually, it's kind of funny that it seems to have made a come back.

Cool Re: Feb. 1, 2008: Two Urban Legends about Disney Theme Parks

Disney parks may or may not ever (most likely not) materialize in Texas, but, don't forget, that we almost got a new Disney destination in the U.S. in Virginia in the mid-90s with the Disney's America project that almost happened. So, is it possible that this type of project, in other words, a non-Disneyland style theme park and resort project still a possibility somewhere outside of Orlando and Anaheim? I'm sure that door isn't totally shut yet. Maybe someday we might see a new U.S. Disney theme park outside of Florida and California. With rising gasoline prices and a tanking economy, Disney might have to start thinking more regionally to get their tourist dollars. And Texas just might possibly be one of those areas that they have looked into. You never know....

• Triplet Dad

Having worked at a newspaper here in Southeastern North Carolina for 21 years, I am still amazed by the "Disney Land Acquisition" rumors that arrive like clockwork about every five years. It's a widespread rumor. Colleagues across the state and the region report the same types of rumors that pop up about two or three times each decade. "Disney has bought land and they're going to build a scaled-down version of the Magic Kingdom."

Wishful thinking.