• Former Cast Member

Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room Song Question.......

Just out of curiosity, if anyone knows, why did they edit the main song of the Tiki Room and take out a couple of stanza's and also completely eliminated that classical bit of music by Offenbach??

Thanks

Re: Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room Song Question.......

I can't say I know for sure, but I always surmised that they got rid of the Offenbach number because it was deemed too "mellow" and/or "boring" -- what with attention spans increasingly smaller; they needed to "tighten up" the program. But I didn't realize they took out some verses from the main song.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

^^Yeah, they removed, at least, "Our show is delightful, we hope you'll agree. We hope that it fills you with pleasure and glee. Because, if we don't make you feel like that- we're gonna wind up on a ladies' hat!" from the Tiki Tiki Tiki Room song. As well, as other sections from other songs. Not that many, though, IIRC.

As far as when, though... I have no clue. Sorry!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The show was edited at a time when the Tiki Room was under serious consideration of being closed or rethemed due to low attendance. They shortened the show to see if it would help hold the attention of modern audiences. For the most part it does help make the show more manageable for our MTV generation attention spans.

Personally, I loved the classic Tiki Room show, but I'm OK with this change as long as it keeps us from getting Tiki Room under new management or Tiki Room with Stitch!

We really are quite lucky to still have our Tiki Room and have it in such great condition. There are still some good stewards of the parks keeping watch over the crowned jewels of Disneyland.

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Personally, I loved the classic Tiki Room show, but I'm OK with this change as long as it keeps us from getting Tiki Room under new management or Tiki Room with Stitch!

We really are quite lucky to still have our Tiki Room and have it in such great condition. There are still some good stewards of the parks keeping watch over the crowned jewels of Disneyland.

-Dusty
    Amen!

I just listened to the original recording of the "entire" show, without the edits. While I enjoyed hearing the missing bits, the pace was really slow. I think that in '63, the audiences were amazed at the new technology they were viewing, hence a longer program. Today, while the Tiki Room is nostalgic, to those growing up in this fast paced, tech driven world of today, the Tiki Room Birds seem a bit antique. Being an Eastcoaster, I'm stuck with the Under New Management version, but that said, the pace of that show definately fits todays short attention spans. Even in that version, I still enjoy the looks of amazement of the under 7 set as the room comes alive.

The thing is, I think they edited out the wrong verse. I always cringe slightly at the "The Boys in the Back" verse. What is it that he's singing? "Called macaws"? ""Comicals"? No, according to the sheet music, it's "Kamikaze." Which, one, it's pronounced wrong, and two, makes no sense. I'll trade that one and take back the "Ladies' Hat" verse, thank you.

Or the bit from "Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing," with them doing impressions of Bing Crosby et al, that confuses the heck out of the younger set. At least with that, I'd understand the reason for them cutting it. Comparing the original version to the edited version, it just seems a little strange some of the little bits they decided to do away with.

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    The thing is, I think they edited out the wrong verse. I always cringe slightly at the "The Boys in the Back" verse. What is it that he's singing? "Called macaws"? ""Comicals"? No, according to the sheet music, it's "Kamikaze." Which, one, it's pronounced wrong, and two, makes no sense. I'll trade that one and take back the "Ladies' Hat" verse, thank you.

Or the bit from "Let's All Sing Like The Birdies Sing," with them doing impressions of Bing Crosby et al, that confuses the heck out of the younger set. At least with that, I'd understand the reason for them cutting it. Comparing the original version to the edited version, it just seems a little strange some of the little bits they decided to do away with.
    Um, I'd like to see the sheet music that has Kamikaze and not "called Macaws" do you have actual music, or is that from the internet?

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    Um, I'd like to see the sheet music that has Kamikaze and not "called Macaws" do you have actual music, or is that from the internet?
    It was in a published book of Disney songs that I bought at the Glendale Disney Store. I don't remember where I put it now, but it had piano arrangements and lyrics, and it had Grim Grinning Ghosts and Yo Ho as well.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I have always seen the lyrics as "The boys in the back are called macaws. Because of their claws? No! Because they're macaws!"

I've never seen a version printed that says anything about a kamikazes', that's interesting. You might have a collectors edition on your hands!

Well, for what it's worth, entering "lyrics tiki room kamikaze" into Google gives me 14,000+ pages.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...ze&btnG=Search

ETA: Adding the name "Sherman" gives me a more manageable 346 pages. Still, it proves that I'm not the only one who's come across that version of the lyrics.

• RCMC BlackSmith

My fav version is the Macarina version!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney

• Mousketeer

Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    Well, for what it's worth, entering "lyrics tiki room kamikaze" into Google gives me 14,000+ pages.

ETA: Adding the name "Sherman" gives me a more manageable 346 pages. Still, it proves that I'm not the only one who's come across that version of the lyrics.

I would still like to see an official Disney source, the internet is full of crap that gets posted and then sited as being true.

The Sherman's would have lived through WW2 and would have been aware of the pronunciation of the word from the newsreels of the day. The word is pronounced Kah Me Kah Zeh, the very number of syllables make it highly unlikely, as "called macaws" is 3 and kamikaze is 4, that would through off the song.

Searching for something on the internet proves nothing.

Be Thankful that you DisneyLand'ers can still see and hear our familiar songs from Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room... meanwhile us UNlucky Floridians are left with the WDW under new management show... Its been almost 10 years now with the WDW updated show and the verdict seems to be negative by the mass majority of those who have seen the "new" show.... seems like it might be a good time for them to "update" the WDW Tiki Room to the version at Disneyland... Being that this is the Year of A Million Dreams Celebration, that would be my Dream come true...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

It's kamikaze, guys. Don't look at it as something offensive or stupid because it's not the correct pronunciation...it's just saying the macaws are going crazy, basically. It's a play on words and pronunciation. How many words in songs have their pronunciation altered to fit the rhyming scheme? It's not a new thing.

I can understand the removal of the ladies hat verse...maybe Disney was trying to be a little more PC? But if they really wanted to be PC, the show would need a whole new set of recordings.

I don't remember the original Tiki Room all that well, as I saw it maybe 3 times, twice as a baby. But listening to the original show on CD, I think the way it is now is better. The Offenbach number really slowed things down. I can see it being far more appreciated when it first opened, with the new technology and everything, but as a theatre-goer and such, the pacing just doesn't seem to flow, IMO.

And I love the Bing. Even if the younger generations are not familiar with the specific name, it certain evokes nostalgic imagery in music. And it's just pretty.