Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Feb. 8, 2008 - America Sings

Quote Originally Posted by retrodiz View Post
    But in my opinion, the cheapest thing Disneyland ever did was to recycle the animatronic characters by putting them inside Splash Mountain. What, they didn't think anyone would notice?
    And you have a problem with that? I thought it was wonderful re-use of equipment from a defunct ride, and a smart choice by the Imagineers. It's kinda like Splash as a whole is a tribute to AS!

• Animatronic

I was disapointed with America Sings at first. The loss of the top floor and the drama of walking up on stage and into the future. It seems a show building often does it's original ride a bit better.

Still, the rapid pacing, sheer density of animatronics, and subtile effects like the transition effects as the theater turned won me over. Plus it's huge capacity meant almost no line making it's the quickest way to cool down on a hot summer day.

I still wish they had managed to use the top floor. America Sings made Disneyland just a bit smaller and it never really fit with Tomorrowland.

• Banned User

someone I know worked the club buzz basement area, part of it has a staircase. while he was cleaning it, he heard screams of a young girl saying "help me! help me!" he ran down there close to that staircase that takes you up to the inno/american sings area and all went quiet...

• back in Austin

You know, I first went to DL in 1978 and could have sworn I went on Carousel of Progress at that time, but I must be transposing memories from visiting WDW in the 80's. I have no memories of America Sings at all, so I must not have gone on it. And I really enjoyed the AA-heavy attractions too, so I guess we must have just run out of E-tickets for that one!

Can anyone tell me how long each act was? I wonder how long the carousel paused in each stage and what the total showtime was.

Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    I realize that America Sings was a very popular attraction, but I never liked it, mostly because the show was composed of just songs and had absolutely nothing to do with Tomorrow.
    No kidding. Talk about shoe-horning an attraction into TL when it has nothing to do with tomorrow. Even Nemo is a better fit than America Sings!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Aww, this was my favorite, along with my grandma's. I never thought about it being in Tomorrowland though- you guys are right! It was Yesterland all the way!
    A signature should go here.

• Senior Minion

I miss this show, lots of memories. Thanks Werner.
    It was perfect timing around the 70's when there was still a larger since of pride in America.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    And you have a problem with that? I thought it was wonderful re-use of equipment from a defunct ride, and a smart choice by the Imagineers. It's kinda like Splash as a whole is a tribute to AS!
    Somehow it never struck me as a tribute to AS. Song of the South was a Disney movie with it's own set of characters, and to see the America Sings ones thrown in for no reason, often in the same groups they had originally appeared in, made it seem like they were passing these off as authentic to the movie.

I have no problem with creative recycling that isn't obvious; the geese that were transformed into long-necked droids in Star Tours are a great example. I also enjoy seeing elements of retired attractions labeled as such in a showcase. (Two of the Emporium display windows on Main Street come to mind.)

But in general, it's very unusual for Disneyland to repeat characters between attractions, and not what guests have come to expect.

• Nice ears dude. Thanks.

I know a lot of people critique the current Tomorrowland for not being "futuristic" enough (read an Finding Nemo or Buzz Lightyear thread to see what I mean). So my question is this: How was America Sings not out of place in Tomorrowland? I do not remember America Sings, though I am sure I went on it. My family always went to all of the "show" attractions and I still love the Tiki Room and miss the Country Bear Jamboree. This is not meant to be a critique of American Sings, and just for the record I love Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters, but again, how did America Sings fit into the land of tomorrow?
    Do you see the excellence of this invention?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

It absolutely, 100% did NOT fit into Tomorrowland. But that was long before the internet, before we all could get together and compare notes, so the public outcry was tiny at best.

• FastPass n00b

Most, if not all, the people who worked on attractions like these are gone. They displayed a sense of showmanship like no one in WDI can do today (except maybe Tony Baxter). It didn't take a huge elaborate chunk of land or a ride that goes 100 MPH or even $100 million to make an endearing classic. They just needed their creativity and pride.

I don't know what happened to all the ideas, but I just don't think Disney has created anything even remotely as creative as America Sings in a long, long time.

To play Devil's advocate, how much of an endearing classic was it if it barely lasted more than a decade?

But I do kinda agree--except that i think Tony Baxter has created TONS of ideas that hold up along any of the classics... (and his work on reimagining Fantasyland, or the whole Magic Kingdom for France hold up...) Not to mention the way he reused most of Marc David's creatures for Splash Mountain which I think is a true modern Disney classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I still wish they had managed to use the top floor. America Sings made Disneyland just a bit smaller and it never really fit with Tomorrowland.

Wsn't the top floor used for the Tron speed tunnel and you still got to view the diorama of the World of Tomorrow...

It does seem too bad these carousel theatre shows are all gone--TokyoDL closed their Meet the World (which oddlyw as in tomorrowland too) now we just have the Carousel--and as much as I love the Carousel especially for nostalgic reasons I think America Sings probably would be the bigger crowd pleaser for people who don't know the history of the rides--and prob easier to update with more current rides (cuz even by the 80s Sings did seem IMHO *very* 70s...)

Still when I first went to Disneyland when Iw as 6 (so '86 or so) it was a fave...

Quote Originally Posted by retrodiz View Post
    Somehow it never struck me as a tribute to AS. Song of the South was a Disney movie with it's own set of characters, and to see the America Sings ones thrown in for no reason, often in the same groups they had originally appeared in, made it seem like they were passing these off as authentic to the movie.

But in general, it's very unusual for Disneyland to repeat characters between attractions, and not what guests have come to expect.
    I get your point but a few things to bear in mind. First, Splash mountain may not have been greenlit if they didn't already have all these AA figures they could reprogram cutting the costs by millions.

ALso Marc Davis did much of the critter designs for Song of the South as well as all of them for America Sings (and I think hewas really pleased to see them have a new home)

• 20 hour C

Quote Originally Posted by wulfblat View Post
    I realize that America Sings was a very popular attraction, but I never liked it, mostly because the show was composed of just songs and had absolutely nothing to do with Tomorrow.

Having said that, it was still better than the god awful crap that currently squats in the building, and is also mostly unrelated to Tomorrow.
    Innoventions is pointless and boring! Let's set fire to it!

I agree with a few points.

1. America sings was wonderful. It was one of my favorites, and oh how my two sons would love it today.
    2. Innoventions is a discrace. My first visit was sad - never gone back.
    3. Viewing the movement of the AA to Splash Mt. as anything more than a cost saving measure is naive. Granted, I'm glad they're there if nowhere, but it's a lasting sign of what DL managment became for quite a few years.

Think about how advanced America Sings was when it came out, and how cool it still would be today. Then think about some of the newer rides:

-Pooh? Sad really. Wooden painted characters and mirrors? Not too far advanced from most of Fantasyland. And it rerplaced CBJ!
    -Splash Mt? Fun ride, but I don't give too much credit for something Walter Knott did better MANY years before
    -Innoventions? Circuit City/Best Buy/Fry's...
    -DCA? Yikes
    and on, and on, and on...

Maybe they're on the right track now. They've done some good things recently. Haven't ridden the new subs, and I hope that's good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-02-2008, 06:41 PM