Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Apr. 18, 2008: Disney-MGM Studios: The End of MGM Name

If the name MGM was synonymous with the movies, there's one other name that has an even a greater connection to the movies—and that's Hollywood. On January 7, 2008, Disney-MGM Studios became Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Re: Apr. 18, 2008: Disney-MGM Studios: The End of MGM Name

Thanks Werner, I enjoy these 'behind the doors' stories. I assume the 'Hollywood' name can be used with no licensing restriction. Also, I heard somewhere that the park is going to change names again in the future, I can't remember the reason, is this true? Also they need to expand Star Wars, either in DHS or Tomorrowland!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    Also, I heard somewhere that the park is going to change names again in the future, I can't remember the reason, is this true?
    I can't imagine why they would change the name of the park again.

It's expensive to update all instances of a park's name. Not only that, but it would be likely to confuse guests needlessly.

Old names tend to stick around. I imagine that many people will call the park "MGM" for short for another 20 years.

There's been speculation that Disney will run seasonal parties with names that play off of Disney's Hollywood Studios, such as Disney's Hollyween Studios and Disney's Hollyday Studios. But those wouldn't be actual name changes.
    Werner Weiss

Great article, thanks. I was unaware that The Great Movie Ride was licensed separately from the MGM park name, which is a great relief. Some very useful info, thanks. And yes, I and many others will still call it MGM for at least another 20 years

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by JLindley2003 View Post
    Great article, thanks. I was unaware that The Great Movie Ride was licensed separately from the MGM park name, which is a great relief.
    Some of the clips in the movie montage at the end of The Great Movie Ride might have been licensed through the overall agreement between Disney and MGM/UA.

Considering that there have been several changes to the montage over the years and that the current version of the montage is still part of the ride, I assume that the montage sequence is "legal."
    Werner Weiss

• The one, the only...

Great story! I loved it. To today's youth, MGM means nothing. It's glory days are long gone. So MGM should have been paying Disney these last few years!

What Disney needs to do, is keep updating the movies that are presented there. It is sad that Disney has not been more aggressive to get contracts to present the latest movie experiences. Even Disney's own franchise, Narnia, would be a great asset.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• The Bell Ringer

Thanks for the post! It was really interesting to read what's up with the name change for one of my favorite WDW parks. I was really terrified that The Great Movie Ride was kaput, but thank you for reassuring me. But, is it just me, or couldn't they have come up with something a little more creative than Hollywood Studios? I mean, I understand why they chose that name. Oh well. All I know is that my family will still probably keep calling it "MGM"... I wonder what I'll teach my kids to call it. Hmmm...

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by trippyhop View Post
    But, is it just me, or couldn't they have come up with something a little more creative than Hollywood Studios? I mean, I understand why they chose that name. Oh well.
    First, welcome first-time MiceChat poster! This is a terrific online community of people who care about Disney parks and entertainment, but with a bit more mature, critical analysis than some of the other sites.

It's not just you. As I was researching the article, I found all sorts of expressions of surprise and disappointment about the name Disney's Hollywood Studios.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I'm glad they chose Disney's Hollywood Studios over something like Disney-ABC Studios or Disney-PIXAR Studios. The name Hollywood means the park is about the American entertainment industry and its Southern California base and heritage. Disney-ABC or Disney-PIXAR would suggest a park whose mission it is to promote only Disney business sectors.

My only complaint with the name Disney's Hollywood Studios is that it's such a mouthful — eight syllables that don't roll off the tongue easily. The old name, Disney-MGM Studios, had just as many syllables, but it was easy to call it "MGM" for short. I guess the short name would now be "Studios." It makes me appreciate what a brilliant name Walt Disney chose for his park, "Disneyland."
    Werner Weiss

• The Bell Ringer

I'm glad they chose Disney's Hollywood Studios over something like Disney-ABC Studios or Disney-PIXAR Studios.
    Oh, I'm glad about that too, Werner. It's just that "Disney's Hollywood Studios" sounds a little bland for a park that, in my opinion, is just full of awesome. Something a bit more fun, like Hollywoodland, might have been fun, except I'm not sure if that name has any copyright/licensing issues. Well, I guess that at the end of the day, if the park itself doesn't change too much besides the name, then that's not too big of a deal. Let's just hope that they replace the seal over the Animation Courtyard.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Oh, I'm glad about that too, Werner. It's just that "Disney's Hollywood Studios" sounds a little bland for a park that, in my opinion, is just full of awesome. Something a bit more fun, like Hollywoodland, might have been fun, except I'm not sure if that name has any copyright/licensing issues.
    How about Disneywood, with a logo like the Hollywood sign?

Let's just hope that they replace the seal over the Animation Courtyard.
    I assume that's been done by now. My picture was from the first week of February.

But, now that I think about it, I haven't seen any pictures of the Animation Courtyard arch with a new park name.
    Werner Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    How about Disneywood, with a logo like the Hollywood sign?
    No, that would just sound too much like a copy of Dolly Parton's "Dollywood".

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyFan View Post
    No, that would just sound too much like a copy of Dolly Parton's "Dollywood".
    You're right!
    Werner Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I can't imagine why they would change the name of the park again.

It's expensive to update all instances of a park's name. Not only that, but it would be likely to confuse guests needlessly.

Old names tend to stick around. I imagine that many people will call the park "MGM" for short for another 20 years.

There's been speculation that Disney will run seasonal parties with names that play off of Disney's Hollywood Studios, such as Disney's Hollyween Studios and Disney's Hollyday Studios. But those wouldn't be actual name changes.
    I remember now, I heard that later they were planning to just shorten it to Disney's Hollywood, taking off the Studios, because it's no longer a working studio. Maybe it was just a rumor???

Hello! New to the boards.

I've been interested in these Disney/MGM stories for a while, and one thing has been bugging me.

Did Disney ever intend to take advantage of the vast MGM film library it obtained in their deal with MGM? Because besides the Great Movie Ride, which we now know has little to do with the contract that gave Disney the right to use their name and much of their films, there didn't seem to be any other representations of MGM films in the park. I know they show Tom and Jerry in the SciFi Dine In, but is that it?

It seems like the fact of the matter is that Disney was mainly interested in MGM's name, not their films.

I always felt that the MGM name was just that, a name, wasn't used very well at all. Never been there myself, but from what I've seen, other than the lion on the sign, nothing there really seems to scream MGM. Like, other than the Great Movie Ride, I don't think any MGM films or properties were represented at all in the park. There's lots of MGM films/ characters/ properties that would work great in a Disney park, but aren't there. Why do they have an Indiana Jones stunt show and (I'm assuming) characters running around, when they could easily have had 007? Why not have a street show where an actor portraying Inspector Clouseau trying to find the Pink Panther? Wouldn't it have been nice if there was a Wizard of Oz ride? So, I always felt that the MGM name was wasted and don't really mind the name change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)