Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Space Place Restaurant in TL

Anyone have any pics of the old Space Place Restaurant in TL? I miss the old Space Mountain complex, with the open stage, the escalator, and restaurant with multi-tiered seating.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Re: Space Place Restaurant in TL

Quote Originally Posted by steve2wdw View Post
    Anyone have any pics of the old Space Place Restaurant in TL? I miss the old Space Mountain complex, with the open stage, the escalator, and restaurant with multi-tiered seating.
    Sorry, don't have any pictures...but I was working there when the whole complex was opened. I miss those things, too.

As I've said before, I miss...Tomorrowland.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Space Place is where I ate the most when I was a kid growing up. It's weird still seeing the windows at the Space Mountain queue.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceAge Columnist

I have the sign only:

Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Witch Doctor

Exclamation Re: Space Place Restaurant in TL

Quote Originally Posted by steve2wdw View Post

Oddly enough I do. But I don't have it on the computer. It is an old picture of myself and sister standing next to the railing which overlooked what was then an empty space. I will see if I can get a friend to scan it in for me and post it for you.

Sean

• Witch Doctor

Well here as promised is the picture it is not what I thought at first. Neither my sister or I are in it but goofy is. I know it was taken at the Space Place. The date on the back of the photo is Par of 79.

Sean

">

• DCA FTW!

Wow, thats cool! I didn't know they had that setup up there. Seems better too, was the space mountain queue where those escalators or moving walk way is, that leads up stairs under the x wing?
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coast21 View Post
    Wow, thats cool! I didn't know they had that setup up there. Seems better too, was the space mountain queue where those escalators or moving walk way is, that leads up stairs under the x wing?
    no the space mountain queue when it had the speedramp was in front of the Space Place. Over the Space Place was open but the speedramp went up onto the second level which was on the sides. i'll make a map of the area or i'll try to find some pics.

also, i really like that picture, you can see the peoplemover in the background!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

1979..."Salad days", pardon the pun. for a dark-brown haired (honest), 23-year old hotline cook working hard at the Happiest Place On Earth.

Cute shots here...both of the kids, and of the old Space Mountain/Space Place, PeopleMover and Space Stage setup.

Uhhh, why was it, again, that Tomorrowland had to be "fixed"?
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 06-24-2008 at 06:58 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Here's a picture: Space Mountain speedramp entrance in front, Space Place and Space Stage underneath. i'll still post a map.

I created a map:
    Red - Space Mountain entrance/speedramp to second level
    Blue - Upper level/Space Mountain queue
    Green - Lower level/Space Place/Space Stage (open-air with no ceiling in the middle)
    Orange - Peoplemover track

Yeah, really cool pics!

I totally miss that version of Tomorrowland. The new version doesn't hold a candle to it. At all.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    Uhhh, why was it, again, that Tomorrowland had to be "fixed"?
    Some suit in Burbank needed to pad his portfolio so he could snag a golden parachute, obviously.

Actually I do remember Tomorrowland in the mid-90s, and by then it WAS getting a tad long in the tooth. What was needed, though, was just a refreshening, giving what was there a new sheen and gloss, just a sprucing up, not an entire renovation that totally changed its character. Its overall character was JUST FINE AS IT WAS. What it needed was the proverbial new coat of paint, maybe a rebooted attraction (like revamping Mission to Mars and making it a totally new show - Journey to Jupiter or something). But instead of that, our Tomorrowland (and we old timers have the right to call it that) was, for all intents and purposes, torn down (metaphorically) and rebuilt into something else entirely.

You know how you see a friend's kid when they're grown up and you can see that there's an eerie resemblance to your friend, but at the same time, they're not your friend, but a different person altogether? Yeah, that's Tomorrowland today. It RESEMBLES my old friend, but it's not my old friend. My old friend is no more. And sure, my old friend's kid is a nice kid who tries hard, but seeing her just makes me miss my old friend more. And that hurts.

I wonder if those suits even realize that they HURT us when they did what they did. I doubt they care, but I just wonder if they know.

I know all the arguments about how Walt always intended Disneyland to never be finished and all, and I've even used that as reasoning to cope with the various changes over the years myself. But it's not that. There was something about that 1967 Tomorrowland design that just CLICKED. Sure, some changes over the years were expected - perhaps the biggest one was when ATIS was closed to bring in Star Tours (I still say it's time for a newer version of ATIS, because that was a great attraction) - but its overall character and spirit was maintained. When you were there, you just felt like "I'm in......(drumroll)....THE....FUTURE!!!!"

The rock bands at Tomorrowland Terrace really added to that sense of forward movement and progress.

I dunno, to me, my Tomorrowland was the coolest of all the lands in Disneyland. They were all cool in their own way, of course, but Tomorrowland was the coolest.

I honestly can't look at today's Tomorrowland and think "ah, yes, world of tomorrow." It's more like "SomethingShinyandColorfulLand."

• Witch Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post

also, i really like that picture, you can see the peoplemover in the background!
    I know this is not a pic of the Space Place but since you said you liked the peoplemover in the background I couldn't resit posting this pic of it which was taken from the skyway in the late 70's also.

Sean

• Witch Doctor

Woops forgot the pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast