• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Apr. 25, 2008: Rainbow Mountain Stagecoach Ride

The Stagecoach Ride is one of Disneyland's iconic "gone but not forgotten" attractions. Now there's finally a Yesterland entry for it.

Link to Rainbow Mountain Stagecoach Ride at Yesterland

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Apr. 25, 2008: Rainbow Mountain Stagecoach Ride

The stagecoaches were before my time, long gone on my first visit in 1963. Dad didn't trust the mules, but we did ride the Mine Train and really enjoyed the sights. I'm a big fan of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, but I sure do miss the old Mine Train!

• -DL's VIP Entrance

Thanks for the article, Werner! The stagecoach was also before my time, my first memories of the park date from 1964-65, however, I do remember the scenery mentioned from the Mine Train Ride and always thought it was clever how Disney used the same real estate and sets for three different attractions. Now that's cost-efficient.

Werner:
    Your Yesterland features are one of the best parts of miceage. Would love to see an article about the restaurant in Frontierland, was it called Chicken Plantation? I've seen far away pictures of it, around the spot where Pirates of the Caribbean sits. I looked up your article on the Silver Banjo Barbecue - I want to clarify, was it to the left of the entrance of the River Belle Terrace? That would make it in a spot where there are just facades now. Oh, one more suggestion, remember the Minerals exhibit next to Casa de Fritos in the 60s?
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 04-25-2008 at 08:29 AM. Reason: added thought

• Dave

Blog Entries

I loved the article. Its' too bad that area is all built up I would love to see s ride like that make a comeback. It would be nise to see disney have something like that return to that end of the park.
    Dave

Another suggestion, they should bring back the Pack Mules for DCA. I know they discontinued them for higher tech attractions like Big Thunder RR, but were there liability issues too? They would be a nice blast to the past.

Thanks for the photos of the stagecoach rides. It brought back memories. I was lucky enough to be one of the first people to cross the gates into Disneyland on opening day, as a 3-year old kid. We were poor, my dad was a sportswriter, but we got free tickets because he was a journalist. It was kind of neat to ride the stagecoach. I remember riding horses and mules, too, but it might have been at camp or Knott's, probably D-land, Knott's, and summer camp. The only ride I really remember being open on opening day was the Toad ride, which I rode twice. One thing I don't miss about the stagecoach ride was the smell of road apples.

• -DL's VIP Entrance

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    Another suggestion, they should bring back the Pack Mules for DCA. I know they discontinued them for higher tech attractions like Big Thunder RR, but were there liability issues too? They would be a nice blast to the past.
    Sorry Kid, but I don't think live animal rides will be coming back any time soon.

Animal cruelty issues (real and imaginary), Handicap access, spreading waistlines, general decline of athletic ability, lack of interest, low capacity, high overhead costs, and finally good old "trip and fall" lawyers pretty much signed the death warrant on these types of rides.

Look Werner's pictures closely: they are relics of a time when people were much happier with much less, and in their joy, never thought to ask for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Katella Gate View Post
    Sorry Kid, but I don't think live animal rides will be coming back any time soon.

Animal cruelty issues (real and imaginary), Handicap access, spreading waistlines, general decline of athletic ability, lack of interest, low capacity, high overhead costs, and finally good old "trip and fall" lawyers pretty much signed the death warrant on these types of rides.

Look Werner's pictures closely: they are relics of a time when people were much happier with much less, and in their joy, never thought to ask for more.
    Sad, but well put, thanks. There are still pony rides in nearby Irvine Park, I just thought there might be a chance...but then again, I guess I can just go to Irvine Park. I thought it might just be an old-fashioned, as you say, simpler enjoyment type of attraction. Oh well...
    Last edited by Disneykin Kid; 04-25-2008 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added thought

LinkBacks (?)