Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: May 22, 2008: Please Remove Your Hat

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I agree that they needed an icon for the park, and this is what they came up with.

I don't mind it being the icon for the park, but I just wish it would have been done either.

I think they should just remove the chinese theatre, have the "Hat" be the entrance to the great movie ride but make it a more permanent looking thing, rather than the temporary looking structure they have now.

The thing IS recognizable. It immediately says "Disney _____ Studios Park" to the guests arriving. That said, I agree with another poster who said that it's just in the wrong place. Out front would be fine. Somewhere off to a side, I dunno...but it does block a rather beautiful structure.

There are apparently a lot of buildings in the Studios Park that are modeled after real buildings in LA and Hollywood; why they'd have to disavow Graumanns' Theater at some point in time eludes me. Couldn't that be true of any of the other buildings also?

Red Face Re: May 22, 2008: Please Remove Your Hat

My guess is some Disney exec decided promoting someone else's property (Grauman's Chinese Theatre) didn't make sense, so let's "enhance" it with a giant Disney icon and (over)promote Disney!

The logic is similar to the Pirates of the Caribbean and Small World enhancements...
    Last edited by RLS Legacy; 05-22-2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Incorrect capitalization.

• Shablagoo!

I like the structure, just not where it is. I'd move it to Downtown Disney and use it to replace the current pin seller location.

As someone who appreciates the parks' atmosphere even more than the individual attractions, I loathe the hat like nothing else. To me it the equivalent of sticking a 100 foot tall Stitch head directly in front of Sleeping Beauty castle. If destroys the 1930s Classic Hollywood aesthetic that Hollywood & Sunset Boulevards so neatly create. It must go. Is there a petition out there?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

I'm enjoying the discussion in this thread about the role of the hat as the current icon for the park. That's something I didn't cover in my article.

That could make an interesting subject for a future article — the Earfel Tower, the Chinese Theatre, the hat, and even Leo the MGM Lion as icons and logos for the park.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    To me it the equivalent of sticking a 100 foot tall Stitch head directly in front of Sleeping Beauty castle.
    Don't give them any ideas!
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Banned User

I still say that the icon could easily move to the entry of the All Star Resorts, at least it will be among it's own kind there.

As a Disney Stockholder, I hate to see corporate assets wasted. Instead of being destroyed, The Hat should simply be moved to the All Star Resort, where it would fit right in with all the other giant icons. It could be placed directly atop the Security Gate, so it is the first thing arriving guests would see when they check-in. The resort is so isolated that The Hat would not intrude on anything else in WDW. Those passing through the property on 192 would easily see it, so it would act as a "wienie" for the entire complex.

• Minion

Thanks for the article Werner. My sig should suffice for my feelings on this matter...this is the one element of WDW that I dislike more than any other. In the past I didn't get to go to Orlando very often, and I put off going to DHS in the hope that my first trip to the park would not be greeted by this mutilated vista. In the end I finally did go last year...but would certainly be likely to visit more often if this monstrosity was removed.

One of our other forumers...I forget now who it was...posted the pic below, which I think is the perfect solution. This way those who like the hat could still have it, and the hat would still be in a position of prominence, but at the same time Hollywood Boulevard could have its ambience restored.

In fact a similar plan was the original intent for Disney-MGM Studios Europe (the one that didn't get built after Euro Disneyland's financial failure). The first pic is looking out from the gate of the park. This gate can be seen at lower left in the second pic, which is looking the other way. In this plan, both Hat and Theater had positions of prominence. I can only hope that someone in Disney has the good sense to choose this solution for DHS.

Down with the Hat

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchon View Post
    I still say that the icon could easily move to the entry of the All Star Resorts, at least it will be among it's own kind there.
    Haha, after all that...

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

From the site englishplus.com -

Personal pronouns, including it, do not have any apostrophes for their possessives.
    Incorrect: her's their's your's
    Correct: his hers its ours yours theirs whose
    If it helps, remember that his takes no apostrophe. In the same way, neither do any of the other forms.

I like the Hat and I'm not getting all bent out of shape about where tis placed.

There's a difference between the Epcot wand and the Sorcerer's Hat. At Epcot, Spaceship Earth was always the icon; the wand was just an addition to it. At DHS/MGM, the Chinese Theater was never the icon, the Earfel Tower was. The Hat replaced the Earfel Tower as the icon. The Hat IS now the icon. Compare to Epcot: removing the wand did not remove the icon. At DHS, removing the hat would be removing the icon. As a result, it is likely that the Hat is here to stay.

Having a huge castle at the end of Main Street doesn't make sense either if you're being that strict about a place's ambience. So why should a hat in Hollywood be any different?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KeepMovingForward View Post
    I like the Hat and I'm not getting all bent out of shape about where tis placed.

There's a difference between the Epcot wand and the Sorcerer's Hat. At Epcot, Spaceship Earth was always the icon; the wand was just an addition to it. At DHS/MGM, the Chinese Theater was never the icon, the Earfel Tower was. The Hat replaced the Earfel Tower as the icon. The Hat IS now the icon. Compare to Epcot: removing the wand did not remove the icon. At DHS, removing the hat would be removing the icon. As a result, it is likely that the Hat is here to stay.

Having a huge castle at the end of Main Street doesn't make sense either if you're being that strict about a place's ambience. So why should a hat in Hollywood be any different?

The original Disney MGM had two basic themes – Hollywood in its heyday and actual movie production.

Given that the Chinese Theater was situated in a very prominent impossible-to-miss position at the end of the street, the park's original designers must have intended the theater to be a focal point. It was, at the very least, the icon of the Hollywood in its heyday half of the park (it would follow that the Earful Tower, a water tower of the type typically seen on movie backlots, represented the movie production theme).

How does the hat represent either of those themes?

Personally, the best I can come up with is that the Sorcerer Mickey Hat represents motion picture production if you think of Sorcerer Mickey bringing the brooms to life as some sort of metaphor for filmmakers bringing images on the screen to life. If you want to go with that idea, it could work as the gateway from the Hollywood heyday half to the movie production half of the park. But what is beyond the Hat where it stands now? More Hollywood in its heyday – the theater.

The castle at the end of Main Street is a beautiful and purposeful juxtaposition - it's actually one of my favorite things about the various Disneylands and the Magic Kingdom. You’re walking down this very comforting “everybody’s hometown” street, but the castle at the end represents the fantasy and adventure that await you in the other lands. Also, it could represent Walt Disney growing up in a small town and dreaming of “castles in the sky”.

The castle is also a very effective gateway to Fantasyland. Picture if beyond the castle was more Main Street U.S.A., just as there is more classic Hollywood beyond the Hat.

Also – and this one can be chalked up to personal taste – but while the various Main Streets and various Castles were designed to compliment one another, the cartoony, abstract, gigantic, bright blue hat seems to clash with the well-detailed, in-scale Hollywood street. I don’t think that’s a purposeful juxtaposition, but if you can explain to me how it is, I’m open to changing my mind .

Regarding the idea of replacing the Chinese Theater with the Hat – it makes sense to me to have the Great Movie Ride take place in a theater. It also makes sense to me to have a park about Hollywood and the movie industry be represented by the theater. And it’s not just any theater, it’s a Hollywood icon. I’m fairly certain that the real one in the real Hollywood still attracts tourists, doesn’t it?

Even if your argument is true and the Hat replaced the Earful Tower as an icon, then why does that suggest the Hat is permanent? Why can't something else replace the Hat, just as you say the Hat replaced the Earful Tower?

• Minion

The Chinese Theater was on front of many brochures, maps, and posters when Disney MGM opened. The Earfel Tower may have been one icon...but it certainly wasn't the only one. I think for the average guest, who didn't know about the Earfel Tower, or only saw it briefly on the Backlot Tour, the Theater was by far the most important symbol of the park.
    Down with the Hat

• is satisfactual.

Well, as much as I like the Chinese Theater, it does seem like an odd icon for the park, seeing as it's kind of already an icon for Hollywood. It would be like if Disney opened up a big city-themed park and used the Chrysler Building as its icon -- it seems Vegas-style cheap and devoid of imagination.

The Earful Tower may not have the girth or the wow-factor of the other park icons, but it seems more appropriate than a theater that already exists someplace else or a big plastic hat that's just too awful for words.

Perhaps the park does need a bigger weenie (God, the Freudianism in all this is mind-blowing), but they haven't found it in that awful hat.

• Minion

The appeal of the Earfel Tower eludes me. For me a metallic water tower, remarkable only for the two mouse ears on top, is not particularly inspiring. It's not that I dislike it...but I don't see how it could be considered an "icon."

Since Hollywood is a real world, and very specific, location, I don't see any problem with having the representation of a real building as the DHS icon. I would also have no problem if they replaced the Chinese Theater with something like the Cathay Circle, a la DCA. But realistically, if Disney can't be bothered to remove a pin shop, then they certainly won't rebuild an existing facade. At any rate...I don't see the Chinese Theater as the first Disney icon representing a real buiding. Sleeping Beauty Castle is based on Neuschwanstein...and particularly from the Fantasyland (north) side, the similarities are quite obvious. In fact if you look at early concept artwork for Disneyland, the current north face of the castle was originally turned the other way around...facing Main Street.
    Last edited by tasman; 05-23-2008 at 05:54 AM.
    Down with the Hat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)