Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Minion

Re: May 22, 2008: Please Remove Your Hat

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    I'm not a fan of oversized "icons," whether it's the hat at DHS or the jumbo decorations at the value resorts. To me, Disney Imagineering is all about putting you in other places and times. A 122-foot tall hat does nothing along those lines. (I realize there are some people who like the oversized objects, but I'm not one of them.)

So I don't see the point of spending millions to rebuild the hat outside the DHS park gates. If it could be moved, that would be another thing — but I doubt there's any practical way to move it.

In the unlikely case that it's bolted together rather than welded, it might be possible to dismantle and move it.
    I agree with you completely, however I can understand the desire to have an icon the masses can readily identify. A Hat outisde the main entrance would fulfill that, and let the rest of us have our Hollywood Blvd back.
    Down with the Hat

• is satisfactual.

I will undoubtedly be in the minority, but I like the oversized icons at Pop Century. To me, a 20 ft Mickey Mouse telephone is fabulous pop art. If David Lachapelle had heard of it, he'd have shot a bunch of crazy pictures there already.

But that's not the case for the DHS hat, which despite looking like a huge, monumental information graphic is hardly good pop art, and Hollywood Boulevard is hardly the place for Andy Warhol anyway.

• DisneyGator

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I have no interest in visiting the Disney MGM Studios or Disney's Hollywood Studios as long as that hat is there.
    That's good news! More room for me! I actually love the Great Hat. Of course, I've never seen the Studios without it. But thanks to this site, I've now seen pictures. BOOOOOORRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGG. I love the Hat. I loved the Wand at Epcot, too, but I guess Siemens wanted a return to the giant golf ball (it's like going to a oversized putt-putt golf course). Anyway, The Hat is very Disney. The Chineese Mann isn't. Those old pics make me think of a trashy city called Hollywood (yes, I've been there). The Hat helps me get into the DisneyZone. In fact, I don't feel I'm at WDW until I've seen it.

If you want Hollwood, go and visit it. You won't want to go back.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    That's good news! More room for me! I actually love the Great Hat. Of course, I've never seen the Studios without it.
    First, welcome to MiceChat.

I'm actually surprised that there haven't been more replies from people who love the hat and love where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGator View Post
    Anyway, The Hat is very Disney. The Chineese Mann isn't. Those old pics make me think of a trashy city called Hollywood (yes, I've been there). The Hat helps me get into the DisneyZone. In fact, I don't feel I'm at WDW until I've seen it.

If you want Hollwood, go and visit it. You won't want to go back.
    We each have our own opinions.

It's impossible to "go and visit" the Golden Age of Hollywood without a working time machine. The pre-hat Hollywood Boulevard at Disney-MGM Studios was the next best thing. Grauman's Chinese Theatre worked very well for me as the focal point of Disney's idealized Hollywood, and it's a perfect entrance for The Great Movie Ride.

To me, the hat is just an out-of-scale Disney corporate symbol. And it looks like an immense blue plastic cone with tacky ribbons and stars. It doesn't even come across as decent pop art.

Again, that's my opinion. I'm not attacking anyone else's opinion.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

Personally, I love the hat but it's just in the wrong place! They should put it on top of the Animation Building! (although logistically it wouldnt be possible) Where it is, just feels to me as if It's like putting Space mountain in Adventureland!

I wouldnt ever call Mann's Chinese theatre a famous disney park landmark, but saying that, it did for DHS what the castle at the end of main street does for MK. I miss it the way it was. Everything around it complements it and goes back to a time disney imagineers were at their strongest even managing to conceal a huge hidden mickey in it's design!

In Paris, the Hat really complements the park... It's situated in the animation court and is fitting and in keeping with the area. Strangely, theres a bit of magic considering the attraction it houses is a classic Disney walk through. You don't get any of that from Florida as it's a Pin Trading club stuck in front of a classic ride

Last time I was there, I saw the wand being removed from spaceship earth, next time I hope I see the hat being wheeled away either in pieces or to a new location!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

LinkBacks (?)