• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

May 29, 2008: The Wizard of Bras

Yes, when Disneyland opened in 1955, there really was an Intimate Apparel Shop on Main Street, and it really featured the Wizard of Bras.

Link to The Wizard of Bras, at Yesterland

Please discuss it here.
    Werner Weiss
    Curator of Yesterland, featuring discontinued Disneyland attractions

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: May 29, 2008: The Wizard of Bras

Wow! Great old photos! I didn't know there was an actual Wizard of Bras. I figured it was just a tag line to get people in the shop. Very cool!
    <o>

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Fantastic Werner! I've always wondered about the good Wizard.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Great article, as always!!

Interesting article I remember Leonard Maltin mentioning this on one of the "Treasures" DVDs. Did it close because of it's "taboo" merchandise.

Great article, whatever happened to the Hollywood Maxwell company?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by mserenity View Post
    Interesting article I remember Leonard Maltin mentioning this on one of the "Treasures" DVDs. Did it close because of it's "taboo" merchandise.
    I doubt it closed due to "taboo merchandise." I can't believe that Victorian pantaloons or 1955-stye petticoats became taboo between July 1955 and January 1956. I'm sure there was nothing tawdry about the exhibit (although any time underwear is involved, there could be some snickering or embarrassment).

I assume that Hollywood-Maxwell and Disneyland simply agreed that continuing the relationship did not make business sense.

There were many outside concessions when Disneyland opened. Eventually, Disneyland took back more and more of such space.
    Last edited by Werner Weiss; 05-29-2008 at 09:31 AM.
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    Great article, whatever happened to the Hollywood Maxwell company?
    In 1958, the Hollywood-Maxwell Company of California combined with the Vassar Company of Chicago, a part of Munsingwear. The result was the Hollywood Vassarette Intimate Apparel Division. At one time, Munsingwear was America's underwear giant.

Munsingwear is now marketed by PremiumWear, Inc. The Munsingwear brand is now best known for knit golf shirts with the penguin logo. PremiumWear, Inc. also markets Jockey brand underwear.

The Vassarette brand is still around. It's now as part of Vanity Fair Brands, LP.

But the Hollywood-Maxwell brand is history.
    Werner Weiss

• The one, the only...

It is funny how an old idea would go over really well today. I would love to see a "history of underwear" exhibit. Also it could feature Disney underwear and night clothes. I think it would be a big hit today! Do it in a "tongue-in-cheek" way and it would be fantastic!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    It is funny how an old idea would go over really well today. I would love to see a "history of underwear" exhibit. Also it could feature Disney underwear and night clothes. I think it would be a big hit today! Do it in a "tongue-in-cheek" way and it would be fantastic!
    It seems that anything on Main Street today has to involve Disney character merchandise. It might be good business. But it's really diminished the "show" of going back to an American Main Street circa 1900.
    Werner Weiss

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    It seems that anything on Main Street today has to involve Disney character merchandise. It might be good business. But it's really diminished the "show" of going back to an American Main Street circa 1900.
    As if showing 1950's underwear in a 1900 street is good "show".

• Now 40% less bitter!

I like how in the newspaper picture, you can see that the building behind the Wizard still looks unfinished. Is there anything in that building now? A breakroom for the CMs in the adjoining stores, perhaps? I wonder if anything will go in there again?
    Oo-de-lally!

• dream out loud

Two things -

1. Great article - I thought we might see some pictures - I'm going to go to matterhorn1959.blogspot.com to see if there might be some - that site has a TON of GREAT old photos from people's collections. I recommend it to any and everyone.

2. It seems funny to me that Disney pretends there is nothing such as sex in this world when it is such not only natural part of everyone's lives but also of our culture. Now, I know why this is - all the company branding and image and family stuff - it's a reflection of our culture. But you don't get a family without sex! Well, you can...but I digress - anyway - I might be a little liberal that way, but how great would it be to have a little naughtiness in the magic kingdom - some fun disney themed underthings, etc... They do have some things like this at Vault 28 in Downtown Disney - that's what I'd have in mind...anyway, I can't believe I'm writing this...ha ha but at the same time >

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by AliKzam View Post
    I like how in the newspaper picture, you can see that the building behind the Wizard still looks unfinished. Is there anything in that building now? A breakroom for the CMs in the adjoining stores, perhaps? I wonder if anything will go in there again?
    The newspaper picture shows the porch of the Intimate Apparel Shop, with the Wonderful Wizard dummy propped up in the door. In fact, if you look at the 2007 color photo at the bottom of the page, you can see the same porch with the same ornamental trim.

The space behind the dummy was the Intimate Apparel Shop. In 1956, the China and Glass Shop expanded into that space, and it still occupies that space today (although it's been called the China Closet for about four decades now).
    Werner Weiss

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Curator of Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by airick75 View Post
    1. Great article - I thought we might see some pictures - I'm going to go to matterhorn1959.blogspot.com to see if there might be some - that site has a TON of GREAT old photos from people's collections. I recommend it to any and everyone.
    There are good photos of the exterior at the GORILLAS DON'T BLOG site. See http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com...arel-shop.html. Click on the photos for larger images.

I agree that the "stuff from the park" (matterhorn1959) blog has many great photos at http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/, but I don't recall seeing any pictures of the Intimate Apparel Shop there.
    Werner Weiss

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-03-2008, 07:00 PM