Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Banned User

Re: Some Disneyland Pics from the 70's

This had to have been 1978 or 1979. The Abominable Snowman wasn't part of the Matterhorn until 1978.

Ohhh, how I miss the Fantasyland Theater. Its simple cinematic pleasures (and air conditioning) were a delight, to be sure. The Skyway was another simple pleasure. All attractions need not be E tickets (if they are, then they cease to be special and become ordinary).

But people today don't want simple pleasures. They want adrenaline rushes, one right after the other. I say save your money and jump off a cliff without a parachute if you want the ultimate adrenaline rush. That way, you get what you want (your adrenaline rush), and I get what I want (no more of you in the world). Win/win!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

What awesome memories!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Witch Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    This had to have been 1978 or 1979. The Abominable Snowman wasn't part of the Matterhorn until 1978.

Ohhh, how I miss the Fantasyland Theater. Its simple cinematic pleasures (and air conditioning) were a delight, to be sure. The Skyway was another simple pleasure. All attractions need not be E tickets (if they are, then they cease to be special and become ordinary).
    OK got out the pic of the Abominable Snowman and it has Apr of 79 stamped on the back of it. Sadly I don't ever remember going in the Fatasyland Theater thou I must have with all the trips we made as i was growing up. When I am able to return to Disneyland next year it will be the first time in many years. (not exactly sure what the last year was i was there but I remember a Disney Afternoon Ave. Parade or attraction) I will be saddened to see how much Tomorrowland has changed since the last time with no Peoplemover or Skyway they were both still running the last time I was able to go and am glad I got to go on them one last time.
    Sean
    Last edited by indydisneyfan; 07-01-2008 at 02:41 PM.

• Witch Doctor

Wanted to post 2 more pictures real quick. 1 because I just love the shot and another I have a question about that maybe one of you has the answer for. Both of these photos are stamped APR of 79 on the back. 1st the one I love.

BTW I know it is backwards. Oh and for all of you that pointed this out to me I just noticed that my prints are correct, they somehow got backwards when my friend scaned them for me.

OK now for the question. It would seem that my dad was trying to get Big Thunder in the background. Knowing these were taken APR of 79 or close to it would Big Thunder have been new then or still under const.? Thanks everyone.

Sean

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Love these old photos! I imagine it was 1979 in these photos, as BTMRR opened in 1979 - late 79 as I remember. I really like looking at Tomorrowland - it flowed, in the way of foot traffic. It was open.....as well, so was the area near IASW.

Nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

• E T1CK3T

BTMRR opened in September of '79, so if it is April in the picture, then the mountain is probably in the construction completion stages in the photo. It's an interesting contrast in the photo, with the Fantasyland Theatre and assorted rides in Fantasyland in the foreground, and BTM rising in the background, much different from the foreground theming and attractions.

I can see how the scanning caused the backward-ness of the photos (i.e. that really confusing Tomorrowland pic from before)... but to me, it doesn't matter that much, because it still shows a Disneyland of the past, which is good enough for me.

• Banned User

I loved it when the rockets were up this high!

wow, indydisnyfan, technically that backwards pic is in tomorrowland, you must really despise this place. but really, those are some more cool pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12