Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: July 3, 2008: Light Magic

Well, I appreciate this - I'd never seen most of those photos before and have only read a few articles here and there on Light Magic, so it's new to me. I have to agree with most of the country that the pixies certainly look...odd...

While I like the general concept, I can see why it had trouble.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Werner Weiss View Post
    Yesterland is about the history of Disneyland, and Light Magic is part of that history.

Any story about Light Magic would not be complete if it didn't discuss that, overall, Light Magic was poorly received by Disneyland guests, and that Light Magic never returned after a single summer season. I suppose this can be read as "beating a dead horse," but I'd like to think of it as an appropriate Yesterland entry for the subject.
    I mean, it *does* belong on Yesterland -- but it's not as if this is a new article. It's not really been expanded much, and so I don't get why this is suddenly a "front page feature."

• Minion

It’s interesting to note that when this came out step-dancing and Celtic everything was vary popular. Loreenna Mckennit was pretty well known and Lord of the Dance was HUGE, It seems like Disney was trying to bank on the step dancing/Celtic trend. Particularly the Lord of the Dance shows. Not only did they come up with Light magic, they produced a made for TV movie about a family of leprechauns that love to step dance around the same time.

As for the floats, they were pretty impressive, but all the floats looked the same. I like the idea they played with about transforming Main Street and all it's sounding area into an immersive pixie dust encrusted party zone.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

I loved Light Magic!

Light Magic was the first summer of my employment at Disneyland. I was a guest control cast member. I think I was so excited about working there that I didn't really realize I wasn't watching that great of a show. I remember being excited about how pretty the show was, but wished it told a better story. I remember there were a significant number of performers who fell injured that summer from all that step-dancing on the concrete, especially those who also danced in Hercules during the day. I remember the guest control being a challenge because, unlike a moving parade where people could move with it, people constantly stopped to watch the show in the walkways. I remember the confetti being a mess and having it all over my house more than a year later. I remember the video in the middle of the performance being so lame. When I think back, I remember an overall feeling of disappointment, as if I had fallen asleep during a movie and had missed a key plot point. I couldn't tell anyone what it was about, other than some pixies dancing. I also look back and wonder if it was the beginning of Disney pushing poor "Make your dreams come true" promotions that are rather empty today, as if we are not fooled by all the bright lights and pretty colors and know nothing's really going on.

I was there that night and it was a very sad night. Yes, it was scary. I was one of the hundreds that stood in line and got a full refund. The line outside of city hall were out the door so cast members were outside handing out business cards and encouraging guests to write in with their complaints. I would love to have the whole "light tragic" episode erased from my memory, yes it was that bad. Thanks for bringing up the subject, just when my sponser told me I was making progress.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by richboi117 View Post
    GRR!!! That is where those hideous lights over Main Street came from!! CURSE LIGHT MAGIC!!!

A nice article to read tho =)
    The lights over Main Street have always been there - Light Magic actually improved them! They changed the permanently mounted parade light towers on the rooftops of Main Street over to fold-down towers that 'disappear' during the day, when the silhouettes would have totally trashed the sightlines.

Now the light towers and the projector booth towers along Small World Way (between the Matterhorn and Small World) are all Light Magic's fault. The light towers and the terraced viewing areas are a nice and nicely themed addition, and continue to be useful.

But for some reason they don't want to take out the four now obsolete projector booth towers that were used only for Light Magic. The "Returning in 2000!" was a convenient lie was a handy excuse to leave them 'in use' and depreciate these capital improvements off the books over time, and make the Accountaneers happy.

Same thing with Rocket Rods - they knew it was hopeless, but kept wishing and 'trying to make it work' till they could finish writing them off. Only then did they give up and destroy the vehicles and dismantle the systems.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-01-2008, 08:53 PM